1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wee, earthquake on the east coast!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by julioroman, Aug 23, 2011.

1. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

Perfect reason to make a BOB and leave it in my car o_o!

2. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

In West Virginia here, only about half the people in my office even noticed it, if they were standing they didnt feel it.
    I was sitting, lasted about 2 second, was very suddle not jerky at all, but definitely got my attention!
    I thought it was kinda cool to experience it, since there was no damage at all, last not around here.

3. julioroman

I thought it was a fun experience, couldn't decide if it was a big truck driving by or something else for the first few seconds. THen after 10 seconds and the rumbling being a bit more violent and wasn't stopping I decided it was an earthquake and just wait for it to stop in a doorway, then walked calmly to my desk, grabbed my bag and left. The funniest thing I saw was in the building I was in at the time. This poor student employee's eyes widened and she paniced, literally RAN down the hall towards the exit.

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I've done tornadoes, hurricanes, forest fires, blizzards, blackouts, and explosions, but never an earthquake. I guess it wasn't strong enough for a tsunami. If the east coast gets a tsunami, it will probably come from La Palma in the Canary Islands.

5. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

My wife called me from work to give me a heads up. I was just walking into Best Buy when she called. One of the sales guys heard me talking about it and said the building just shook before I walked in. Definately something neat to talk about but also kind of scary! I am about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh. We are NOT used to earthquakes. Maybe it is time to keep a B.O.B. in the car.

I am not a superstitious guy or anything, but this is just some wild stuff going on in the world right now. Hope everyone who experienced it was unhurt.

6. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

7. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I was saying the same thing to somebody else, and they had a pretty good point. Part of this whole situation isn't as much that this stuff is actually happening more than usual, it's just that for the first time, there's instant, constant coverage of these things, right after they happen, all over the world. The same incidents that might've been little more than an article in the newspaper suddenly become much more prominent when the whole internet is buzzing about them, and we're all looking at cell phone videos of the disaster on youtube as it happens.

8. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

I felt it in NW Ohio. It was slight enough that I was starting to think it was just in my head until I heard some co-workers talking about it an hour or so later. Very slight vibration though- just enough to make the seat of my desk chair wobble.

9. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

Most definitely agree! Didn't think about that. Funny enough, the guy at BestBuy and I walked over to the tvs and flicked on the local news. It was on like 50 tvs! Two of the other sales guys pulled up the news on the IPads they were carrying!

10. dbert

dbert Loaded Pockets

I live in Charlottesville, VA, about 20 miles from the epicenter. I was in school at the time, and the building was shaking violently. As far as I know, there wasn't much damage at all. This was my first earthquake, it was crazy!

11. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

I'm glad to hear that everyone is ok.

12. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

So is anyone hearing gossip about this being because of a secret weapon?

13. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Living on the West Coast my entire life, I've enjoyed a few earthquakes. I even managed to be in LA for the major quake down there, AND the San Francisco quake. :)

I would HAPPILY take an earthquake over nearly every other major disaster. It's just what you're used to I guess...

For those who are new and thinking about safety/survival/protection before/during/after a major quake, the best information I give people is the following..

1. Always have food/water around. (72 hours min)
    2. Always keep extra days of meds.
    3. Always keep a radio available (AM/FM/SW min, best HAM)
    4. FAKS are critical, many injuries won't be treated by EMS/Hospitals unless you are THERE.
    5. If you can, get to a load supporting wall and get in the fetal position. Tuck EVERYTHING under.. Don't get under tables, in doorways, or near brick/masonry. When buildings fall, they typically have triangles near walls of open space. This is where rescuers will check first. (In fact, many call it the "triangle of life") -- When I was a kid, they told us to get under tables/desks.. In Mexico, after the large quake, they found lots of kids crushed to death under their desks.

My grandmother was pinned at the age of 88 under a dresser in her bedroom for 12 hours after the LA quake.. It took us that long to get a team to search her place. All of the buildings on her block were "red tagged".

14. julioroman

HA! No, but I have heard some people joke that somehow G W Bush did it.

15. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

The U.S. HAARP atmospheric microwave array in Alaska can reportedly cause earthquakes, and there are similar devices in China, Russia, and elsewhere. Dr. Nick Begich has written a lot about HAARP.

Nothing you can prove, though. However, former Secretary of Defense William Cohen gave a famous statement at a conference or meeting that Weather Weapons have already been developed by others, and we must prepare. This was during the Clinton Administration.

Interesting slip. What did he know?

HAARP probably can also affect weather because it can superheat the ionosphere.

The natural gas companies have also massively started using "Hydro Fracking" injecting huge quantities of chemicals and water into the ground to fracture rock and free natural gas. Not only can this pollute groundwater, there is speculation it could cause earthquake faults to slip. Makes sense.

16. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

+1 for triangle of life

17. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

Great info! I've never lived in a quake area. Pretty scary. The scariest part of the footage was the large groups of people outside in the street. My thought was is the public transit system up and running? It would be a very long walk back home to Arlington or Richmond if it wasn't. I wonder what percentage of those people have a get home bag in case they need to hoof it somewhere....

18. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

We've had three little shakers here in the San Francisco bay area since last night, two at 3.6 and one at 2.8.

19. ltbarber

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

This thread is a good argument for having an EDC,and a BOB! And having them within reach at all times...

20. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

This is a little late for Irene, but it's good advice for the next storm.

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/chairman-of-the-boards/

Years ago, while another storm was bearing down on me, a friend mentioned he had to get plywood to board up his house. I mentioned I figured it all read had it cut and read to hang. He said he had plywood, but used it to make a dog house.

Lesson learn, rotate and replace emergency supplies, not just used them in daily needs.