1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wearing watch in dominant hand

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Darth_Revan, May 7, 2020.

1. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I read that the custom of wearing a wristwatch on the left comes from carrying a pocket watch with chain in the left vest pocket or in the breast pocket (which is typically only on the left). Apparently, it was fashionable during the Victorian era to carry a gentleman's pocket watch in the manner of Prince Albert.

The single-sided chain was worn in the left vest pocket and called a half-Albert watch chain. A full-Albert chain still carried the watch on the left and some other accessory in the right-side vest pocket.

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

In my experience, the best way to break your watch on an obstacle course is to wear it facing inward. What you want is a tactical cover. If protection or light discipline are what you want on a budget cut the top off of a sock.

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

#22 adnj, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

Right handed, wear my watch on my dominant wrist and always have. Tried both with my first watch and thought it felt better on the right. Probably didn't hurt that my uncle was the same and I thought he was really cool around the time I started wearing a watch (turns out he is actually pretty cool). I've considered trying the left wrist recently, but don't see any reason compelling enough to retrain myself.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Not really...there's a reason pocket watches fell out of favor. It's unnecessarily tedious to remove them, look at them & replace them in the pocket...then there's also the fact that mens clothing has changed & often doesn't proved a "watch" pocket (particularly shorts & casual clothing).

5. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Loaded Pockets

Do you wear any heavy watch? Do you feel that it gets "in the way" somehow?

6. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

This g-shock is probably the heaviest I've worn (although I didn't consider it heavy at all). My watch does occasionally get in the way, but I think it would just as often on my non-dominant wrist (maybe even more initially as I've sub-conciously trained myself to use my left hand for reaching in tight spaces). When it gets in the way, I just take it off temporarily (this happens maybe 2-3 times per year, so no big deal)[​IMG]

7. Darth_Revan

Nice watch. I love how G-shocks are durable. Do you know the weight of this one?

You said you cosidered changing to left recently. What changed your mind back to the right hand?

EDIT: When I said "getting in the way" I don't meant only to reach things, but any activity you do with you dominant hand. For example, when you are hammering something, or...any other activity with fast movements of your wrist. (Couldn't think of any other right now, lol), do you worry about your watch? Of course, if you're not wearing a Gshock.

I can't remember the last time I had to reach something in a space that couldn't fit my watch in my wrist, if I ever did. I guess I'd use my left hand too, or just remove the watch.

#27 Darth_Revan, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  8. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I actually just sold it because I rarely wore it. It was big for my small wrists. I don't know the weight on it, but it's a ga-100 if you want to try your hand at looking it up (I didn't see a weight spec on the Casio website for it).

Wasn't so much that I changed my mind, I just thought about it and then came to the conclusion that I didn't really have any compelling reason I could think of to make the switch.

9. Darth_Revan

I see. Then the "norm" of using on the left, and the fact that everywhere and everyone do that is not appealing to you?

Also, do you ever worry of wearing a watch when doing aggressives activities? (like hammering)

nicknapp likes this.
  10. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Two large watches that are made for the left wrist; Frogman, Ecozilla:[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

11. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

"norm" and "convention" mean nothing to me unless there is a compelling logic behind it.

Being concerned about damage while hammering is something I probably should be concerned about, but never have been and haven't had any issues yet... May be something look into a little more.

12. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

This is one of those threads where the slightly off topic posts are the most interesting.
    It’s kind of interesting to read about how different habits, norms and conventions has come to be.
    Someone mentioned the option of wearing the watch on the inside of the wrist. I’ve never really seen any reason to do that, but today I gave it a shot so I could try another new “thing” as well. Hand dump.
    [​IMG]
    I’m clearly new at this, so don’t pay to much attention to the picture, but what I noticed wearing the watch like that out in the not so hot Norwegian spring. It was cold. The metal case could much more effectively contribute to my temperature loss when strapped against the large veins on the underside of my wrist. I’m guessing this way of wearing a watch was probably invented on a totally different latitude.
    Keeping to the theme of sub optimization, this was probably not the ideal day for maxamet and a not so waterproof field watch
    [​IMG]

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I would bash mine more if it was on my dominant hand. I'd also be more likely to remove it so that wouldn't happen.

14. Darth_Revan

That's funny. In my experience, I bashed the roughtly the same amount with both hands. The fact that I use more my dominant hand is balanced by the fact that it is a little more dexterous and I'm probably a bit more aweare of it. Or maybe the fact that I'm more used to wear it on the right.

I guess that afterall after a while getting used with it in any hand one would bash it less.

15. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I wore one of these for years in the field....worked perfectly....I had forgotten all about them for awhile---just ordered one...
    thanks for the posting...!

16. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

As I understand it, one plausible reason for wearing the watch on your non-dominant hand is so that you can see it while your dominant hand is occupied. Say you're working in a factory and holding a tool in your dominant hand, you needn't put the tool down to look at the time: the weak hand is the 'support' hand and is more often free. I've also heard it said that wearing on the weak hand decreases the probability of damage because the weak hand is used less-often, again it's the 'support' role. No idea if any of it's true, but Im sure someone in days of olde probably had that thought.

I started wearing watches at a relatively young age and always wore them on my right (dominant) hand. Just felt right to me while left-handed felt wrong. I wore a watch all the way up until I landed a steady desk job. It was a heavy stainless steel watch on a bracelet, and the bracelet dug into my wrist while running the computer mouse, so I'd take it off as soon as I got to work. After a while I thought "why bother putting it on in the morning if I'm going to take it off in 15 minutes?" So I just stopped wearing it except for church.

After a couple of years I was talking to a watch-geek coworker and mentioned why I quit wearing my watch, and he suggested a NATO strap. Unfortunately, my watch could not be set up with one but I was interested enough that I started looking into watches in general again. Around the same time I acquired a vintage watch from my brother that belonged to our grandfather and sent it off for repair. Once I got it back I figured I'd try left-handed, just for giggles. It definitely took some getting used to, but now I can wear a watch on either wrist without it feeling odd, except for that stainless bracelet watch: that one still feels odd on my left hand.

Point is, I can wear them either way; it just took a little time to get used to it.

17. Darth_Revan

Thank you for your answer. Your stainless watch must be very big, or maybe you wear it to low on your wrist. I wear mine slightly above the wrist bone and when I'm using a mouse it often stand even a bit higher so, while it might touch the table, the weight of my hand is not supported by the bracelet. Anyway, if I wear itbin my left hand, then the keyboard is going to be in the way, just like the mouse do. As in the right hand, I also do not support the weight in the bracelet, so it's tied. Neither hand are uncomfortable to wear in a pc and if it was, I'd jusy remove it for a while (sometimes i do).

Yes, your point is the same as mine. I can wear a watch om amy hand without much trouble. That's why I'm in doubt of which hand to wear it.

So, since you got to that conclusion, which hand you ended up wearing and why?

18. Sentinel-14

I wear my watches right on the wrist joint, hence why the clasp digs into my wrist.

These days I mostly wear on my left hand, except the stainless one which only feels comfortable on the right hand.

19. Darth_Revan

I see. Then they will really be a problem when using the mouse or keyboard.

You have any specific reason for choosing the left wrist nowadays?

20. Sentinel-14

Honestly, because it's normal. As I said before, when I started wearing watches it was always on my right hand because it just felt comfortable, while left-handed felt odd. But I sometimes got questions about it because I'm right handed. Watches have traditionally been worn on the non-dominant hand so when people see my watch on my right hand they naturally think I'm left-handed, then are surprised to find out I'm not. It's.... memorable. You remember something out of the ordinary like that.

I'm kind of a private person: I don't want to be memorable. I want to be the guy that no one will even remember seeing. "Grey man" mentality, if you will. So to that end I've taken to making myself uninteresting and forgettable: plain grey t-shirts, plain navy jacket, no identifying jewelry, and wearing my watch on my weak hand like everyone expects.

ran23 and Moshe ben David like this.