1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

We need a Sub-Micro edc!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jdindadell, Jun 3, 2015.

1. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

I have my mexped micro setup as an IFAK that rides in my day bag. Had it out as I needed some aleeve and it ended up sitting next to my small edc setup which is contained in a Vanquest PPM slim.

They are about the same width, but the PPM is taller by an inch or so, basically the same size as a maxped mini.

What I would like to see is a vanquest pouch that is smaller than the maxped micro. The micro being about 3.75x6, something around 3x5 would be nice. I know the maxped 3x5 notebook pouch is too big, as it is around the same size as the micro and does not offer the level of internal organization, plus it clams at the top, which I do not care for.

The Griffin pouch at 3x3.5 is a bit too small looking at a ruler comparison, but I do have one ordered to see if it will work in the "flesh"!

What I really want is a vanquest edc pouch, around 3.5x5 max exterior dimension. No exterior pockets or loop fields or handles. Interior with a long pocket on the left side, with 3 pen sized elastic loops, for pen, AAA flashlight and another long skinny item such as a pocket screwdriver. Right side would not have a pocket, but would have at least 2 rows of elastic, possibly 3, divided into 2 or 3 sections. I really like how vanquest has the lower section of elastic on the right side of the ppm slim, and wish they would scrap the pocket and put another elastic loop row at the top as that usually ends up as wasted space in my setups.

Ditching the right pocket would keep the finished product thinner, and allow for the upper row of elastic to be placed higher up so that the top of that side of the pouch could be better utilized. Plus it would stagger the elastic, a selling point vanquest already claims.

What do you think? Good idea?

2. jdindadell

Here are pics of the micro with the PPM slim. Note the wasted area on the top right of the PPM, that is where I would like to see another row of elastic. Looking at size, a sub-micro edc pouch would likely not have room for 3 rows on the right side, but 2 would be fine if they were spaced apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. sventvkg

sventvkg Loaded Pockets

Id like to see pics of how people carry these things.. They don't fit my normal pockets and when I put them in the cargo pocket they flop around and they're too heavy. I make sure not to have mine overloaded as well. The only place these little things are useful is inside a pack of some kind or bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose, bigfoot, odg and 4 others like this.
  4. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I carry a bigger pouch (MaxP Fatty) and its primary use is to contain my gear so I can switch bags really quickly

5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I agree with sventvkg. Even though we think of these as pocket organizers, I can't fathom placing them in anything BUT a larger bag. For that they're great, but in cargo pants or even a coat they're too heavy when full to place in a pocket. I have four of these organizers and most of them would be like placing a Glock 21 in your pocket and trying to have an enjoyable day.

odg, GatorMedic, Sriracha and 3 others like this.
  6. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Likewise. Now, if they had a belt clip on them...

brockster likes this.
  7. Diesel Weasel

Diesel Weasel Loaded Pockets

My MP Micro gets stuffed in all sorts of pockets. Currently I use it as FAK and small stuffs carrier that I throw between bags. The little things I can't be bothered to juggle go in there. I would like a smaller one that fits in pants pockets better!

8. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Mine seems to get used in a similar way. The contents get changed every now and then, but basically it's got my spare Nokia, a minichamp, a thrunite AAA Ti2, a Pry bar, small pen and some earphones. I do use a small earphones neoprene pouch when I want to pocket carry a small so like the minichamp or tinker, a Aaa torch and Prybar. Is suggest you look at earphone pouches as a simple, no-organisation pocket pouch. It just serves as something thing to stop pocket contents jangling together.

9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Here's my back pocket rig, same size as my wallet

[​IMG]

Moose and Treya like this.
  10. jdindadell

I agree with the lack of pocketability for most of these. I also use the bulk of mine as a way to organize small items in a larger pack or bag.

That is why I would like to see a smaller solution, possibly made with lighter weight materials to make it less bulky. Leaving off the front and back additions would thin it out substantially. A belt clip option could be integrated as well, I can see where that would be worthwhile.

Wonder in 20dollarbandit would make a smaller version of the micro kit he offers? Without the loop panel on the front, of course.

11. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

I've taken a stab at making a few smaller ones ... But i'm not really good at it so they havent turned out sturdy enough to use.

One idea for these that I think would be good would be to incorporate a 3x3 or 3x4 grid-it type system that can slide into a half pouch with a flap of some sort. This way you can add whatever loadout you want, the grid adds a little stiffness to the pouch, and the pouch will allow you to slide the whole thing in and out of the pocket easier.

12. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I agree. I use my Maxpedition Fatty to keep stuff organized in my truck center console. Definitely couldn't put that in a pocket

13. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This is my pocket edc (plus phone and wallet). Its just a little neoprene earphones pouch but it's perfect for carrying 3 or 4 items around the size of an AAA torch. A classic or tinker size sak fits no problem. These type of pouches should be easy to source.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

Moose, EXCALIBUR, Rich73 and 6 others like this.
  14. Gadgetman7

Gadgetman7 Loaded Pockets

Have you guys checked out the Skinth pocket organizers. I don't think I can link but a quick search should find them.

Sent from Tracy Island

Gilatabar likes this.
  15. Vanquest Team
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Vanquest Team Loaded Pockets

Hello Everyone,

A sub-micro EDC pouch, that is thinner and more pocket-friendly as Jdindadell, Diesel Weasel and other members have pointed out would make an awesome pouch. This is a project our R&D team can work on and greatly appreciate your suggestions.

As to why the PPM-Slim is a bit tall, it was designed with the Rite-In-The-Rain 3x5" notepad in mind. As these notepads are commonly used, we felt it was a very useful item to design our first organizers around.

- Vanquest Team

That Movie Guy, Moose, Weko and 8 others like this.
  16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Great to see that you are open to suggestions etc on your products, if only all companies were open to that.
    I'm in the UK, have you any plans on having more stockist in this country? I haven't had the chance to see/inspect your products in a store yet.

Vanquest Team and Gilatabar like this.
  17. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

I have one and still haven't figured out how to use it. It's so small it's practically useless apart from it's original intent of storing earphones. Can't even fit a condom in there without folding the edges of the foil inward.

18. Glebun

Glebun Loaded Pockets

Whats this?

[​IMG]

thePlumbah likes this.
  19. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Nano EDCs. That's where it's at.

SEDACON, brockster, ltbarber and 2 others like this.
  20. jdindadell

Glebun, that is the vanquest ppm slim, setup as an edc for my urban uses. Awesome pouch, my favorite so far.

Vanquest Team, I really do like your concepts and build quality. I think a sub micro pouch would be a good seller, or even a reduced height ppm slim (ppm petite?) . And do a reduced height ppm husky (the stubby!!!). Much better pocket choices.

I did get the 2 griffin pouches in the mail and they are small!!! After staring for a while I decided to revoke the padding from one. Made a cut on the inside liner at the top on both sides and pulled the padding out. No kidding, this doubles the interior volume. Of course there is a lot less protection, but at least both interior pockets are useable. With the padded pouch even a very small aaa light like the microblast was a tight fit.

Pics show the modded pouch on the left and a stock one on the right. The white stuff is the padding, looks like closed cell soft Styrofoam or something like that.

Modded pouch has a Kershaw od-2 and a Browning Microblast on the right, and a small flashdrive on the right. I have since added a hand wipe and a packet of alka seltzer in the zipper pouch (had to leave it open, no biggie). Also put a bic micro next to the knife on the right. All of that fits fine. I plan to add a victorinox signature in place of the bic (I do not smoke) so I will have a pen and scissors. Not sure what to put in as paper, maybe cut down a moleskin of just a few sections of an index card. Will also add a bandaid, and a few aleeve. Fits great in my pocket, even in running shorts!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by jdindadell, Jun 10, 2015
    Moose, ltbarber, RED-FIVE and 4 others like this.