1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Waterproofing your bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by dave90, Jun 1, 2010.

1. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

I bought a maxped falcon ii for a recent trip and it was superb until we got caught in a rain shower. The bag did pretty well but still felt a bit damp on the inside when I checked it over afterwards. Does anyone have any tips on keeping their bag dry?

2. towheadedmule

towheadedmule Loaded Pockets

pack cover

or protect the equipment inside with waterproof bags

Doc

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

A separate purpose-built rain cover is the best solution. Look in camping/hunting/sporting goods stores for those. There's little you can do to add water resistance to the material your bag is made of, and even if you did, the zippers and seams would still leak.

4. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

Yes I never go without a separate cover when I travel. I have one made by REI that I can attach to my Camelbak Trizip or BFM. There are a ton out there which cost more either for larger sizes or compress into smaller packages. The one REI makes fits my needs: http://www.rei.com/search?query=duck+cover&button.x=0&button.y=0

The problem with the Falcon is that it is not a traditional pack size and finding a cover that will "fit" it properly will be a challenge.

5. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

6. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

I used to use pack covers, but have since abandoned them in favor of pack liners and/or dry bags- trash compactor bags make for a very durable (and cheap) pack liner

pack covers flap in the wind, don't provide 100 % coverage and kind of pain to break out every time there is a threat of moisture

I confine my efforts to those items I don't want to get wet, some items- including the pack, I don't worry about

7. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

the garbage bag liner is tried and tested if you do it properly your pack might even float

8. Chinaman

Chinaman Empty Pockets

Before I got a pack cover, I used the good'ole trash bag liner too. Never got one to be completely water proof, so I never tried to float it.

9. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

10. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I agree with stepewolf, mtwarden, and Chinaman: I keep a green trash bag (hey, it's tactical) folded in one of the pockets of my Maxpedition Fatboy. I've used it as a water-proof sack for the bag (when I did have raingear with me), as a ersatz rain poncho (just cut holes for the arms and head, carry the Fatboy [along with me] inside it), something dry to sit on, and as, well, a trash bag.

11. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

12. Gray_Pierce

Gray_Pierce Loaded Pockets

i have a maxped fatboy and it works well during light drizzles but for heavy rains you need more protection...i am into gears and stuff and i have never seen a bag that is 100 % waterproof and some brands claim that their products are so...there are just too many places for the water to seep in especially in the zippers and the stitchings...not to mention moisture build-up...

13. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

why not just get a nylon bag to put your bag in when its raining??? they fold up real small and you already carry a bag to keep it in
    motocycle riders have them the cover there saddlebags when its raining

14. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

I use garbage bags too.

15. M24shooter

M24shooter Loaded Pockets

You may be able to find the smaller GI pack liners that will fit smaller versipacks. There is a large heavy rubberized nylon dufflebag type, and then smaller lighter rubberized bags for the outside pockets and the old ALICE Medium packs. You can keep them loaded with your gear in the pack and then if you need them to float blow air into them and tie them off again. I've done this several times. Their benefit over trash bags is that they are much more durable.
    In my Fatboy and Janus I keep a couple of different sizes of Aloksaks if I need to waterproof something. I don't do stream crossings much anymore, so I don't leave my stuff in the waterproof bags.