1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Waterproof Hiking Boot/Shoe

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Muttley, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Muttley

Muttley Empty Pockets

I'm planning a trip to Ireland in May and was thinking about footwear. I was thinking about getting some waterproof shoes for the trip because, well Ireland/May. I have some Merrell MOAB's that I like but they're nowhere near waterproof.
    I expect to do a lot of walking including a 5 mile hike. What would you guys suggest for a comfortable lightweight mid to low cut boot?

Thx

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I had two pair of MOABs. One was labeled GoreTex, and they were most assuredly water proof. The other was labeled "Waterproof," and they may have been. My limited wear and assessment indicated they were, but they were hot as blazes, and I hated wearing them. They looked brand new so I just sold them and the old beat up GoreTex pair on the fleaBay.

yugo308guy likes this.
  3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

What water conditions? Just hiking through the dewy grass? Fording creeks ... rivers ... water hazards on golf courses?

There are plenty of Gore-Tex boots out there but none of them are water proof if the GT membrane is punctured or if the water depth exceeds the boot height.

4. Rescueme

Rescueme Loaded Pockets

The biggest issue with boots is fit, the fit of a boot is the most important factor.

5. Muttley

Muttley Empty Pockets

Mainly rain, wet grass and well maintained trails. Shouldn't be anything deep other then some rain puddles.
    I'm thinking Danner Mountain 600's. Thoughts?

#5 Muttley, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  6. ArkansasFan30

And I can't find a single "hiking" or "backpacking" specific boot that actually fits well.

7. brandaves

brandaves Empty Pockets

These boots have been great for me. They are high top, waterproof and light weight. I don't think I'd recommend them for something like any heavy duty backpacking but these are my everyday shoes and handle general getting around very well.

Danner Men's Jag Lifestyle Boot, Steel Gray/Blue Wing Teal, 10.5 D US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3IVLWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_Eo8zAbN1864JS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

8. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Depending on whether they fit you or not, I really like the Salomon Quest GTX 4D boots. They're tough and reasonably water resistant with their GTX membrane. They even breath surprisingly well for a GTX boot. I'm not familiar with the Mountain 600's so I can't speak to those.

9. ArkansasFan30

I pray they Salomon makes those in extra wide some day.

10. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

They're actually fairly wide for a Salomon. Many Salomon shoes are too narrow for me but the Quest seems to fit pretty well.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  11. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I picked up a pair of Vasque St. Elias GTX boots over the holidays and like them. Fairly lightweight, comfortable and didn’t break the bank.

They replaced an older pair of Danner Radical GTX, which was also a nice boot. I’ve owned several pair of Danner boots and have had good luck with them but I might like these Vasque a little better.

12. ArkansasFan30

Nice boot. I may have to order a pair of those to try out. I went through three or four back in the summer that I returned. It seems like one Vasque model had problems with the eyelets coming off. Let us know how the boot goes with further wear.

jcombs likes this.
  13. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I like Merrell and Vasque

14. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Keen too. They make some great boots.

cole3418 likes this.
  15. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

I have had a lot of success with my Keen dry hiking boots. I have had dry feet on multiple trips with them. I have worn them snowshoeing, knee deep hiking in snow without snowshoes, muddy trails, creek crossings as long as the water doesn't come above the top of the shoe.
    However, I wore them on a 5 day hiking trip where it rained all 5 days and my feet were wet the whole trip. rain dripped down my leg into the boot and its hard to dry the inside on a trip.

16. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I have had numerous Gortex or other membrane boots over the years. Here’s my thoughts on vacation boots.

The most comfy have been Nike. Not made for hardcore use but I had a pair that got me through a hurricane Katrina deployment that included a surprise from Hurricane Rita. Also did a week in Europe one winter. The issue with Gortex is that it doesn’t breathe well. Two pair I had were the least likely to give me swamp foot.

Loved the OTB Bootistans. Out of production for eight years or so. Way more than needed for vacation trip.

Loved Garmonts too. Hard to find but pretty solid.

Presently have some Asolo hikers. Narrow last and do not breathe.

Merrell have been so-so for comfort and disappointing for wear.

17. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

The best I ever had were an old pair of Hi-Tec hiking boots with a membrane called SympaTec. I don't know the exact model name as they were purchased 10-12 years ago and the label is less than readable. Never got wet feet in them, including fording creeks (as long as they didn't spill over the top), and they had the most breathable membrane. Unfortunately they don't make them any more. The out soles are pretty much worn smooth. I still wear them in the city when it is raining, and they still keep my feet dry.

I have been wearing some Merrells for the past year (hiking/snow etc.), and they have been completely waterproof. They don't breathe as well as the old Hi-Tecs though.

I recommend a good pair of hiking socks to go with your boot/shoes. Something that is good at managing moisture - maybe a Merino wool or Merino wool blend. If your feet do get a little wet from either water over the top or not being breathable enough, a nice Merino wool hiking sock will still keep your feet comfortable.

18. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Last year I got a pair of the Keen Koven low hikers at Cabelas. They are very comfortable and waterproof as well as quite lite. I have a 3E foot and the wide fits me perfectly. I paid $99

19. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I wore MOABs daily for a few years. My biggest beef with them was my feet would get wet just walking across my yard in the morning. Switched to Keen Targhee II and have been very pleased. Also have a pair of Danner Cloud Cap low boots, but I rarely wear them. The Keens are just sooooo much more comfortable.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.