1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Waterproof bag - Every Day Swimming

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by tbzbbt, Jun 2, 2017.

1. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I've not seen much coverage in the forum of waterproof backpacks, though I have seen a few funny youtube videos of it's-waterproof...oh-no-it-isn't soak demonstrations. I needed a bag for carrying down on the surf and kayaking keeping gear dry in the wet and wet gear separated when its thrown in the bag of the truck. I had a look at a few offerings on the bay that were readily available in Australia and settled on a Overboard 20l backpack in blue.

[​IMG]
    I was very impressed by the quality of construction, the stitching and sealing appeared perfect to my eyes, the waist strap -which I have removed - has twist-rotation fixing points. When the bag is fully unrolled, it seems huge. The inside is a single main compartment, with a zipped interior pocket. Unfortunately the inside colours match the outside so it is pretty gloomy inside when you try and find something.

As you can see from the (overboard website) photo, it has shock cord and mesh pockets on front and sides. There are other similar models that are configured slightly differently on the outside. It has reflector strips that work and it is comfortable to wear. When you roll it closed, air is often trapped in it which mean you can float it to shore if necessary though I've not tried this yet. It's a great quality item. My only regret is not getting the 30l so I can comfortably fit my snorkeling mask and fins in there.

Here is a few photos of my bag. This is empty so quite soft in structure.
    [​IMG]

Look at the accuracy of the stitching, zips and seals. I looked at other brands whose QC fell far short.
    [​IMG]

Just wait while I unroll it... it has flexible capacity though obviously the roll closure may be compromised if too full.
    [​IMG]

The straps are pretty good and don't chafe. I have removed waist strap.

[​IMG]

Highly recommended. No affiliation. I'd be interested in hearing about other experiences with this style of bag.

tbzbbt

Last edited by tbzbbt, Jun 2, 2017
    #1 tbzbbt, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I used this bag at the weekend for a family trip to an outdoor fountains waterpark area, and it was excellent. It got many an interested look, which may have been because Bill Withers was crooning from the bluetooth speaker in the front mesh pocket. Nevertheless, a great thumbs up from me.

Comfortable unless your ipad works it way to the bottom of the pack (one main compartment) and digs into your back.It feels huge, flexible and soft. It is ideal for clothes, towels and such, not so good for books and hard items. My main observation is that if you have children you will be opening and closing it every five minutes which requires rolling the top again. Its not a big issue but it is a difficult bag to leave unfastened, given the large expanse of vinyl.

tbzbbt

sungame likes this.