1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Water-stone recommendation

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by Christian Salazar, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Christian Salazar

Christian Salazar Empty Pockets

I have taken up the hobby of restoring old knives and sharpening for friends. Most of the knives I'm getting are in pretty bad shape and need a lot of work. I have been using some harbor freight diamond plates but I don't care for them and I like the feel of water stones better. I currently have a Norton 220/1k, 4k/8k setup, but I hate the 220 stone, it practically dissolves when I'm working on it. I've heard good things about Naniwa's 400 and 600 grit pro stones. Does anybody have experience with these stones? I'm going to need something that can remove a lot of metal quickly, doesn't disintegrate like the Norton, and is a water-stone. I don't like diamond stones (cost and just don't like the feel of them) and natural stones like Arkansas stones are nice but too messy with all the oil. I've narrowed down my niche to water stones. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

Check this guy out on YouTube:
    Burrfection
    Great videos of stone selection

3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/lowgrst10.html

I have never tried Naniwa. I have some Shapton Pros and I am satisfied with them. The Shapton Pro 220 might be a good choice for a coarse stone. I have a Shapton Pro 320 but rarely use it. I prefer oil stones in the lower grits (Norton India IB8 combo bench stone is my favorite). The Shaptons don't wear much. Splash and go, not soakers.

4. Christian Salazar

I love his videos.

5. Christian Salazar

Is the Shapton Pro 220 a water stone or glass?

6. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

The Shapton Pro (Shapton Kuromako) product line and the Shapton Glass product line are both water stones. Both are hard, splash-and-go, and slow wearing products which produce little to no "mud", though my Shapton Pro 320 does produce a small amount of slurry as abrasive is released.

I don't have any personal experience with the Shapton Glass products to be able to tell you the difference. I use the Shaptons for my kitchen knives.

If you want to hear all about every kind of water stone, check out the sharpening sub-forums on the ChefKnivesToGo web site, and the KitchenKnifeForums web site. Keep in mind both of those are focused primarily on kitchen knives.

Another active sharpening forum that is more general purpose is the Maintenance, Tinkering, and Embellishment sub-forum on BladeForums.

Last edited by J_C, Feb 27, 2018
    #6 J_C, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  7. Christian Salazar

Awesome, thank you!

8. Christian Salazar

9. elusiveky

elusiveky Loaded Pockets

The naniwa chosera (now called Professional I think) are very good stones. See youtube for endless recommendations from the knife community there. I have yet to try them as I have been using a Lansky fixed angle system for the last couple of years. But I still use waterstones for my chisels and plane blades. I use the cheapest ones though so I want to try chosera too.

Also just for your reference, any splash and go type of waterstone is going to wear much less than a soaker.

10. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

Shapton Pro/Kuromaku is great for the money. Good for straight razors as well as knives.

J_C likes this.
  11. acidmaker

acidmaker Loaded Pockets

You can't go wrong with Naniwa stones, they are great. If you are looking for something cheaper I can also recommend Taidea stones, but they require more work and patience.