1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Water-Jel Burn Dressings - Storage in vehicle

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Birkkjaer, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Birkkjaer

Birkkjaer Loaded Pockets

I am in the process of putting together a first aid / trauma kit for my vehicle and in this kit i want to include some sort of burn dressing since there aren’t space for my normal burn treatment (1-2 500ml. bags of saline and a sprayer).

I live in Denmark and the climate here is very varying with hot weather in the summer and freezing temperatures in the winter.

I want to be able to store this kit in my vehicle and forget about it until the day I might need it. My question is therefore, how well does these Water-Jel dressings store in a vehicle in cold (freezing) and hot weather? And do they burst and start to leak when the freeze?

2. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Canadian from northern Alberta here. I haven't had them burst or leak yet, but they do freeze and become pretty much unusable until they thaw out. I personally just take them out of the truck until spring. Kinda pointless having something unusable in there, especially since Water-Jel is more of an after-care pain relief item rather than a trauma intervention one.

Birkkjaer likes this.
  3. Birkkjaer

Birkkjaer Loaded Pockets

Thanks for answer. I think I'm not going to include them then, I don't want something in the kit I really only can use about half the year.

Outbound likes this.
  4. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Water-Jel freezes at -15 degrees Celsius and can be tawed at room temperature and used without problem. it can be stored at up to 54 degrees, so you should have no problem with water-jel in Denmark regardless of season
    http://www.waterjel.com/why-water-jel/faq#freeze

Swe_Nurse and Birkkjaer like this.
  5. ReubenRN

ReubenRN Loaded Pockets

Good info, thanks.

6. grimbo

grimbo Empty Pockets

Hi,

We are moving away from burn jel dressings in the UK. After a number of studies they have been found to have virtually no useful or measurable effect on burn cooling. Furthermore they do not have any impact on reduction of post treatment tissue scarring.

They do help to reduce pain, but no more effectively than any other dressing once burn has been cooled.

Belief is that by using burn gels instead of effective burn cooling through irrigation it increases the severity of scarring.

See the below link and the available PDF.

http://www.britishburnassociation.org/resources

They have been found to be a bit of a gimmick, which unfortunately is so well established that it will be hard for people to let them go despite the evidence.

However in the end you need to follow your own local protocols for burns treatment if you are a HCP.

D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. BillyFred

BillyFred Empty Pockets

Not what you asked but if you use chemical cold packs be careful in hot weather. I live in Texas where it does get pretty hot. I had a cold pack rupture and the chemical inside will eat paint and rust metal.