1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watches with slide rule bezels

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Anyday Carry, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

Anything that anyone knows cares to share or could help to illuminate upon would be gratefully appreciated. I am starting this thread out of a surplus of interest, a lack of funds and the fact that I got nuttin. Thanks in advance, Isaac

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

https://www.youtube.com/user/edcisaac

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
    drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
    there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
    and drinking largely sobers us again.

2. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Citizen Nighthawk

3. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

I have a Timex with a slide rule bezel with a chronograph too; it was rather inexpensive.
    T49823DH "Expedition Military"

4. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I have an Orient with slide-rule bezel. I had loved the idea of a circular slide-rule, and thought it a better use for a watch than a compass bezel. However, I find it too small for practical use. I would not bother again.

5. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have the Citizen AT8025 which has a slide rule, and I know they make a few other slide rule models (some of the Nighthawk and Skyhawk models for sure, plus undoubtedly a few others). You also have the traditional 'pilot' options like Breitlings if you have a bit more money available...

With a little practise and getting your head around the concept, they can be surprisingly practical tools for quick maths on the go (setting one to the conversion rate while on holiday for example). At the same time, they are also pretty small and fiddly, so in reality I can't say I make too much use of the bezel when I could just reach for my phone instead which does all of the same functions much quicker and easier.

I will have to agree that they do seem infinitely more practical than the compass bezel you see on watches like the Seiko Alpinist - using a watch as a compass is something I can do fairly easily in my head, whereas a slide rules function is somewhat beyond my mental capacity.

6. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

If you can find one, the Seiko Flight Computer was a big beast of a chronograph that is a smidgen smaller than most of Sunnto's current line up. The bezel could do distance/speed/time calculations if you had 2 of 3 figures, and fuel / consumption /distance as well. challenge is that they were $300+ new, and the ones on Ebay are thrashed at best. Mine's still functional but quite a few scratches on the mineral glass face.

7. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have the Navihawk AT:
    [​IMG]

I like this because the scales of the slide rules actually make contact (no parallax).

One thing to keep note of is that MANY of the slide rules are just for show and cannot really be used reliably. I tested a few, and it is really easy to do:
    • Place the 30 over the 10 (30 and 10 are nearly opposite on the dial but easiest to read)
    • Check the other integers for proper alignment:
      • 60 over 20
      • 90 over 30
      • 120 over 40
      • 180 over 60
    • You will be shocked at how far some are off.
    This watch is also solar, multi time zone, and atomic set.

8. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Ha, I forgot about using it for that! I usually use mine for MPG and comparison shopping at the grocery.

9. bmwboris

bmwboris Loaded Pockets

Breathing Navitimer is the perfect watch for slide rule calculations

Calculations possible include:
    - Slide rule
    - Multiplication
    - Division
    - Exchange Rates
    - Calculating Ground Speed
    - Calculating miles per minute
    - Calculating gasoline consumption
    - Calculating rate of climb/descent
    - Calculating the distance of climb/descent
    - Nautical and statute mile conversion

Once you get familiar with the slide rule- you'll never need a calculator again. Plus it's a classy and elegant looking watch with great pedigree