1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watches and Watch Batteries

Discussion in 'Watches' started by jacobwilson99, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

I'm looking to buy a Victorinox Alliance. I can get it for $450 with a total 6 year warranty and lifetime battery replacement. Or, $300 with the standard 3 year warranty only.

My understanding was that changing out the battery on a watch like that is around $25 from authorized dealers. With that, in 15 years, the $150 difference would pay for itself if the batteries last 3 years @ $25. I'm in California, btw.

How much do your Victorinox battery replacements cost if you take them in? Which deal should I go with?

thanks in advance.

2. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

My goto jewelery store has a deal for $30, they cover my watch against damage and lifetime batteries. Look around and you may find a similar deal.

Thats on a watch I didn't buy there. Just took in for a battery.

3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I never let a jeweler touch my watch collection. I've been burned too many times. I learned to do my own battery changes and re-sealing. I've had broken watches and scratched cases at the hands of supposed professionals.

4. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

+1 on this

I lost a watch due to water damage after a "profesional" changed the battery on it. He didn't seal it right. I went kayaking the next day. Watch didn't survive. They overcharge you for the batteries too.

5. drb328
    • In Omnia Paratus

drb328 Loaded Pockets

When my watched need work done of any kind, they get sent back to tweet manufacturer.I picked out with victorinox, they're north American headquarters (I think) in about a half hour away so I drop everything off right at the source

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

6. jacobwilson99

I know how to change the battery, but the resealing is what I don't know. I would feel more comfortable about doing it myself if I knew more about this portion. Is there anything you could link me to for help?

7. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

The $450 deal is a good one only if you plan to keep that watch for 15 years. Also, as others have mentioned, be sure the guy is a real professional. He should have a machine that will allow the watch to be pressure tested after replacing the battery. This ensures that the case was indeed put back properly.

9. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

Anymore the only watches I consider are solar or kinetic. Almost every manufacturer makes one, never need to bother with a battery anymore.

But if you've got your heart set on a design, obviously that's a different concern.

10. jacobwilson99

I did my research. Found a place down the street that is recommended on Victorinox's website. They'll do it for around $15 and have a pressurized test to ensure proper sealing. That's 45 years of replacement until the $450 would have been a better deal.

I think I'm gonna go with the $300 version. Thanks everyone!

I almost got an eco-drive (probably still will in the future), but I can't get away from the Vic's design.

11. jacobwilson99

12. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Heads up, lots of the eco-drive and kinetic watches do have a capacitor that will need to be replace at some point.

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that's the one thing I can't stand about Citizen's marketing claims about their Eco-Drive line. Eco-Drive is fantastic. Eliminates most of the disadvantages of a quartz watch. But after a decade or so, the watch will need to be shipped back to Citizen to have the battery replaced.

Still, every SA says the same thing. "You'll never need to replace a battery again." Yeah . . . no.

14. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

G-shock solars have batteries that have to be replaced at 7-10 years. Works the same as a regular battery change though.