1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watcha wearing, part three.

Discussion in 'Watches' started by cowsmilk, Oct 28, 2014.

1. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

you strip that zippo yourself?

Kev2488 and GaryMc like this.
  2. B in NY

B in NY Loaded Pockets

Yep it was my little guys first bday. Do you blast the cases yourself they look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

iacchus Standard ESEE brass Zippo, never stripped. Just looks different the way the lights hitting it and you have to tilt the brass ones to see the logo well. Got it from a buddy yesterday. Last ones they put out were either brass or crinkled black finish I think. There may be another run in 2017 for both ESEE and Expat Knives, just not sure yet.

Kev2488 likes this.
  4. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

GaryMc I have that same Zippo, but w/ the black coating. It was from Shotgunner's run in 2010. They dipped them at Rowen w/ the blades from what I was told. Never seen one in the raw. That is pretty freaking awesome. A real keeper there.

[​IMG]

5. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Same Orient Mako I started the day with. Found it was about 13 seconds fast. Used the backwards trick to stop the second hand. But now it ended up about 10 seconds slow.

To continue the automatic theme tomorrow's watch will be the Amphibia. I'll get by without date somehow...

6. Dadpool

Dadpool Uber Prepared

I finally picked up a watch I've wanted for over a decade: a first-generation Seiko Orange Monster. Today was my first day wearing it. I love this watch!

[​IMG]

7. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

8. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last weekend I discovered this old Seiko automatic of my dad's while going through some boxes at my parents' home. He told me that he bought it in 1978 when his dad gave him some money and told him to go out and buy a watch for his first job out of grad school. We picked it up and it started running almost right away, after having been buried away in some old toys for maybe 15 years. Since my grandpa originally paid for it, I set it on one of his wood duck carvings for the pics.

Now, it's nothing special beyond nostalgia value, but I would like to spiff it up a little bit. The finish on the case is pretty worn, which I don't mind, and the day window appears to be stuck permanently on Sábado, but that's a funny detail I can live with.

The original brown leather band I'd definitely like to replace, though. So I need some advice! I normally don't care for gold colored watches & jewelry so does anyone have any advice on what to put on it that would look cool? Not sure if I should try a NATO strap or a new leather band, or what. If a NATO, what colors would look good with gold? Any advice on mid-priced brands for leather? I think this has an 18mm band, the watch is pretty small by today's standards.

9. Chris Gonzo

Chris Gonzo Loaded Pockets

That a great deal ... I got mine for 100.oo us

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I don't doubt your experience. Wondering though to what extent those beefier rings get in the way, for example when using a keyboard?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Interesting enough, on the last time Amazon had their blow-out specials -- the all day event -- I picked up a Seiko automatic on enormous discount (with the added bonus of accepting an Amazon visa, I got the watch for free -- with $$ left over on the card!). Any way, similar styling to your dad's watch. Came with a leather band pressed to look like gator. These watches are so traditional and dressy that IMHO only a leather band would like right. Just not sporty enough for a NATO. But that's just MHO of course!

Enjoy your dad's watch; wanna bet you'll be able to pass it down to one of your kids one day? Those things are tanks!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Stutz, jcombs, Kev2488 and 1 other person like this.
  12. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Got the Meranom Amphibia on my wrist. Dos vadanya y'all.

Shawnee and Kev2488 like this.
  13. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

iacchus Thanks, I'm still on the lookout for one like your's.

pierch and Kev2488 like this.
  14. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

Moshe ben David The great thing is they don't get in the way as they ride more toward topside, all that's on the bottom is strap so they are more comfortable when using a keyboard than with a regular band where closure or clasp rides on the bottom hitting the desk.

Kev2488 likes this.
  15. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

Stutz Cherish that watch, I guarantee as time goes on it will become an even more cherished possession. Your photo with the decoy is outstanding. I'd go with a classic leather band probably in brown, maybe even with a worn in look. Great post!!!!!!

Stutz and Kev2488 like this.
  16. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

17. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

This is their 5 ring version, there are 2 layers of strap under the watch and sits fairly high while on the wrist. I actually took a hacksaw and cut off one of the rings. It was in the same location as the single ring in the pic. Not sure why you would need 2 there so I removed it. It was jangling around and I didn't like it. Of course, this is my first NATO and I may be doing it wrong but I did look at several YT videos before attachment. I may order a different color strap, red/black or red/black/gray and will try the 3 ring version. The 5 ring set up puts the buckle very near your outer wrist instead of under the wrist, if that makes sense, but does keep the watch "in place" on the strap. I don't think it's "in the way" of anything but it's not perfect. I may prefer the slimmer profile of the 3 ring strap with only one layer between watch and wrist, it has the potential to slide on the strap but not sure it's a real life problem. As I said, this is my first one so def not an expert. Maybe some with more NATO experience can explain further...I am liking it more as I have worn it.

GaryMc likes this.
  18. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Definitely brown leather, croc imprint if you like it. Hadley Roma makes an inexpensive oiled leather band that would look nice. A trip to your local jeweler or watch repair guy is probably in order as it likely needs a service after sitting for that long and if the day is not working there is likely something else wrong too. Shouldn't be much more than a couple hundred to oil, check things out and clean it up. You can likely buy a new one for less than the service will cost you but it wouldn't have the story that this one does and you really can't replace it anyway. If it were mine I would get it serviced, get a new leather band and wear it as much as possible. Congrats on a cool find.

Stutz and GaryMc like this.
  19. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

jcombs. You got everything right and the 3-ring doesn't slide easy either. The 5-ring took me a while to get used to but I like it more than the 3-ring after I had worn both for a while but that is absolutely nothing but personal preference. What I truly like about these is there is nothing but strap under your wrist as you sit typing on a keyboard. Some companies do make 4-rings that do not contain that 5th ring you cut off but I just like the material used by Clockwork Synergy better. They may even have some 4-ring versions as well.

jcombs likes this.
  20. tandem

tandem Loaded Pockets

Using my old Tag-Heuer 4000 Series. This was given by my dad when I was in College in 1991 and was always on my wrist until 2009. Still works fine. The only service I had done was to replace the crown in 2004.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk