1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch with compass

Discussion in 'Watches' started by L Bow, Jul 18, 2006.

1. L Bow

L Bow Empty Pockets

Anyone have any experience with these? I looked at some made by Freestyle and Timex and so far am "inclined" to go with an analog watch because I did not like the digital compass.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I have one of these:  Maratac and it's pretty slick and it's analog.  I also like the Nike ACG and Suuntos, both digital.

-LT

3. gbaker

gbaker Empty Pockets

That looks great esp since I wanted an orange watch with a compass.  Can a zulu band be put on it?  Like to put a Coast Guard orange band on it.

4. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

I have a Casio Pathfinder triple sensor.
    I like it a lot.
    The barometer is fine to predict bad weather I've used to forecast the weather on vacations with very good results :)
    The compass works great, specially when you are out of town and your map says "take I819 North" and you have no idea which one is north.
    The altimeter is not very useful in urban situations since it depends on the barometer so changes to pressure will change the altitude even when you haven't moved a single meter.

Luigi

5. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

This is what I did w/ mine.
    [​IMG]

The pins are pressed in so you need a one piece strap. Though I list LA Police here, mine came from County Comm. It was a bit more expensive however.

-LT

6. L Bow

L Bow Empty Pockets

Thanks guys for the input. I also went throught this thread and noticed some other watches with compass set-ups http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=78.0
    I really like the clean look of the LT's Maratac. But I will have to check out the Casios in person. The barometer is tempting.

7. gbaker

gbaker Empty Pockets

We are definately on the same wave length.  I like it.

8. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I am a sucker for orange, I love the watch LunalTic!

O0

9. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Glad you guys approve. ;D

The watch is made by Timex for Maratec but the Timex version doesn't have the orange trim and sweep hands.

-LT

10. Jaybee64

Jaybee64 Loaded Pockets

Just a quick hint - if you get an analogue watch with a GMT hand (shows the time on a 24 hour sub-dial) - point hour hand at sun - 24 hr hand will show north - if you already knew this - sorry ;D
    PS this is my all time top of the wish list watch - Pam Luminor Arktos GMT

Attached Files:

11. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I didn't know this. Thanks it's a good tip since I actually have a watch like that, a Victorinox.

-LT

12. Dogsmeadow

Dogsmeadow Empty Pockets

I have a Casio Protrek PRG-60T. It has a compass, barometer, altimeter and thermometer. It's big, solar, has analog hands as well as the digital. Barometer is always spot on with my local airport and the altimeter matches my Avocet altimeter when I set them at a known elevation. The compass points the same as the one on my sailboat. I like it. Oh, and it's titanium.
    Jim

13. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

14. L Bow

L Bow Empty Pockets

Lunal Tic I really like that watch, and it is in my price range. My problem is If I have anything other than a resin band, it will STINK after just a couple days. I'll have to search around for a band that will fit.

15. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

L Bow,

You're probably going to need special equipment to get the pressed pins out and there's no guarantee that spring pins will fit after that. You might try coating it with something or soaking it with an anti bacterial/mold/mildew liquid that's skin friendly. I usually take my watch off before a shower if it's got a nylon band like this since they take a long while to dry. Too bad they don't make clear Plasti Dip.

-LT

16. L Bow

L Bow Empty Pockets

;D
    Today i looked at the Casio Pathfinders. They are impressive, but a bit pricey for me now. I bought the Timex version of Lunal Tic's watch to check it out (couldn't find any good photos online). The compass function is cool. I came home and compared it to the photos of the Mara-tac. I will return it, for two reasons: the band seems even more difficult to replace, and the face has "Timex" and "compass" on it. I reallly like the "strerile" look of the Mara-tac.

So I ordered one from LA Policegear. $80.00 including shipping. Much less than I thought I woould be paying.
    Thanks for all the input folks.

17. quackPOT

quackPOT Loaded Pockets

I bought my reversed Origo a few months back. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I like the multiple sensors too.

"This is the watch that is curently being purchased by Marine Corps Force Reconnaissance, Special Operations Capable Marines, Overseas Contracters and more. Also available in a "reversed" black face with "lit" numerals this watch has a better price point, better impact resistance, and more accurate features than its competitors. Including a one touch digital compass, weather forecast indicator, one touch altimeter and more on this Blacked out Military watch ORIGO is the name to look for."

hotlinked image removed - gL

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1013

18. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

That's a neat watch, too. Nice selelction of them to choose from in this thread.

By the way, LT - I have a can of clear Plasti-Dip.... :buck2:

19. L Bow

L Bow Empty Pockets

Those watches with barometers; I understand tha barometers take a reading every two hours. Can you also get a present reading?
    (I have a birthday not too far off.)

20. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

You're kidding. I guess I've been overseas too long. I wonder if they'll let me bring back a can when I visit next.

-LT