1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch with a loud alarm

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Tallboyjim, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

The Gshock just ain't doing it. It's short and not very loud I can hardly hear it when awake and it has no hope of waking me up - which I'd like it to do. I've cast my eye over the odd timex online but would like to know if anyone owns a watch with an alarm that can wake them up - particularly if they are a heavy sleeper!!!

2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The small battery in watches tend to make alarms that aren't particularly suited for waking someone up from a dead sleep especially if they are heavy sleepers.

People that can wake up to watch alarms generally tend to be light sleepers.

My phone (basic Nokia 1600 bar phone) has a speaking clock that is also used when you set a reminder (i.e. alarm). That has a better chance of waking me up than any wristch watch alarm doesn't

Alarms on various Casios and Seikos (even with a ported speaker for the alarm) never worked for me and just annoyed the cat.

Folding travel alarm with a an alarm pitch that sweeps always work better for me.

Alternatively....

Or if you have your own personal "Q" department...

ATB,
    Sam

Last edited by indigo_wolf, Feb 15, 2015
    veriest1 likes this.
  3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

The only watch I have with a alarm that wakes me up is a Casio melody watch. It's not hugely loud, but there's something about a Japanese techno version of I shot the sheriff that wakes me right up.

Sent by owl post.

4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Thankyou folks. I always carry a phone and that normally does the job but if I forget a charger or something, sometimes that's not always an option. The watch was going to a last resort and I had high hopes the gshock would be up to it. As a kid in the 80s I'm sure alarms on digital watches were louder - but it was a long time ago - rose tinted glasses and all that.

I'll probably try Samuals and try a few , I reckon a shop assistant is in for a really bad day!!

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Things may have been louder just because our ears worked better back then.

Sent by owl post.

6. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

The first watch ever able to wake me up has been my garmin fenix2 with the vibration alarm maybe an option for you cracking watch

7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

A few years ago I saw a blue tooth watch on Think Geek that had a vibrate alarm. A quick look shows they don't carry it anymore. Maybe one of the newer smart watches have a vibrate setting?

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Im pretty sure your ears were a bit better back then as well ;) As we grow older we lose a lot of our high-frequency sound sensitivity and most watch alarms i know are pretty high pitch.

I have used a casio watch as wake-up alarm.... but for me it works in a very special way; Alarm goes off - i keep sleeping - alarm keeps beeping - i keep sleeping - alarm becomes annoying - i keep sleeping - wife gets pissed and kicks me - voilĂ ; SUCCESS! Unfortunate side-effect is that the missus is now cranky for at least 2 hours straight.....

veriest1 likes this.
  9. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

This explains why I never hear anything my wife says!

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Same here... Also has something to do with evolution (emancipation warning) aka a built in resistance to waking up from certain noises. Women have to wake up from high-pitch noises so they can feed babies when they get hungry and start crying during the night. Men on the other hand need to sleep though all that crying so they have the energy to go hunting the next day to in turn feed the women ;) So if you never hear anything your wife says to you its completely natural and proven by evolution and stuff..... you simply cant help it, its evolution!

...dunno how much of that is actually true, but combined with the hearing-loss thing as your age progresses its a great explanation why old farts will not hear watch-alarms :rofl:

veriest1 likes this.
  11. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

Not true, they ALL say that. Statistically it's impossible.

12. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I think all of the smart watches have a vibrate alarm. (I have the Pebble)
    Also, the activity trackers do as well. FitBit One and the Jawbone Up in my experience.
    The problem here is that you need a smartphone for any of these options. (Except maybe the One.)

13. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Momentum GMT analog is reputed to have a very loud alarm.

Nick4305 likes this.
  14. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

My Omega Speedmaster X33 never fails to wake me up, along with the rest of my family. haha :p

15. Rverdi

Rverdi Loaded Pockets

My Suunto Core has a pretty loud alarm. I typically use my phone, but if I have a really important (and early) meeting, I'll set the Core for a backup.

Vagabond66 likes this.