1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch Winders......Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by grayman, Jan 8, 2011.

1. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know of a watch winder on the market made for large cased watches AND has large cushions to hold the watches in place? The first winder I bought would no hold my watches in place because my watch bands are adjusted too large for the tiny cushions that came with the first winder. The watches would flop around and smack each other, or, if I padded it up, would hit against the glass like. In the end, I ended up with a Wolf that had large removable cushions. It has my Raymond Weil and my Orient Executive in it.

I have a 54mm dive watch and a 46mm Maratac that are also automatic. I'd like something for them, but I do not want to spend a great deal of money on another winder. I can't be the only person who has run into this.

2. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i have tried to learn about watch winders, since 2 of my 3 watches are auto's, and at the time i did have a kinetic too..
    just for the record i learned that kinetic watches need a different winder than auto's.
    the range in prices for watch winders vary greatly and to understand why is not always easy..also recommendations to which winder to get varies greatly...and if you want a winder for two or more you may need to get a bank loan,, they become so expenisve..
    to your question about a winder that will hold and secure the size of your time pieces i thought that they adjust to the watch size
    so this is another twist to me.

after my reseach on the subject, i have learned that a auto watch not being worn and letting the watch run till it is not running is a good thing for the watch,, simply because as a auto runs it is also putting wear and tear to the movement, and when its not wound and running there is no wear and tear to the movement..so i decided for not have a winder and let the watch run till its unwound.
    when i what to use it,, only a shake or two starts the watch, no big deal.. autos need to have the time adjusted reguarly anyway
    so i just live with it..

3. TuffWriter

TuffWriter Banned

Ahhh but the problem is that if they oil does't circulate for a long period of time it might start sludging up.

I got a Brookstone winder for xmas, fits my watches and works well thus far. Not very pricey either.

4. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I did some research and the best I could tell this was the case with older (much older) automatics, but not really the newer ones. This is why I bought my other winder in the first place just to be safe. I'll have to check out Brookstone one day at lunch.

5. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

Shaper Image used to sell a watch winder that was very different from the normal "spin in a slow circle" type of winders. I cannot remember the name of it, but it swung the watch back and forth like a pendulum. I had one for my auto and it worked very well and the mechanism that held the watch in place expanded to fit the bracelet of the watch with a push of the button. I was even able to charge up my Seiko kinetic on this winder becasue of the rapid back and forth motion. A really great winder if you can get one. Here is an example that I found on ebay.

6. JML

JML Loaded Pockets

I added a pair of 3M Bumpons to each watch holder (Eilux/Everwell), on flat areas where the sides of the strap go. The Bumpons are the stick-on pads that come in truncated pyramid shapes.

7. BrandonR

BrandonR Empty Pockets

Check out the newer Brookstone models. They have models that hold 1, 2 or 4 watches and are very reasonably priced and quiet.

8. Rolex John

Rolex John Banned

9. BrandonR

BrandonR Empty Pockets

Agreed, while not for everyone, Orbita makes excellent winders. My dad owns several and I have been through to their facilities in Wilmington, NC a couple times and they are top-notch!

10. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I've got one of those also and it appears to have lasted longer than my Seiko kenetic watch that seems to have stop charging !!!!!!!

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Time (LOL) to bring this ZOMBIE thread back to life!

So, I have two automatic watches and two solar powered. The autos have not been used for several years because frankly the solars are just so convenient! But I'd like to start them all in a rotation.

The automatics are true automatics, not kinetics. I've taken a brief, cursory look at winders for these and am not at all impressed with what I see. Those that appear (I did say appear) to be affordable seem to be lacking in durability and reliability; at least the ones on Amazon.

Besides reliability issues I see many of the 'budget' winders don't seem to have good size pillows nor have been designed with enough space between adjacent watches.

Any of y'all who are into automatics use a winder? I'm looking at a two-watch winder. One of the watches is a Seiko, not real heavy or large but large enough. Maybe around 40 mm? The other is a Vostok TU-144. Assuming I don't change the bracelet this thing is heavy; I consider it a beast.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Moshe ben David

12. MojoMarine

MojoMarine Loaded Pockets

I would use the coin to buy another watch before I buy another winder. I think they are over rated and gimmicky. I have a four watch winder that I used the first year and now keep it unplugged and for storage display. I am of the camp that believes winders have more negatives than positives with respect to movement longevity between services.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

13. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

I've got 2 of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Tutelary-Automatic-Vertical-KA015/dp/B002YWZC78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469395139&sr=8-1&keywords=watch+winder

bought as a stop gap whilst researching the best winders for my collection they where cheap enough to be disposable once I'd decided on what to buy. That was over 10 years ago now and they're still going strong I just never got round to replacing them. They hold the watches really well and had all different sizes on them from the Mrs Rolex to a panerai I had with no issues at all, my collection isn't what it was these days but they're still in use to keep the 3 autos I still have charged up.

14. Moshe ben David

Henryhoover: Thanks for the info and the link. Too bad this one is not available here in the US, based on your experience with it. I looked at a lot of the ones Amazon US shows on the site; virtually every one that I could afford had a lot of negative reviews and the reviews were all consistent with regard to the size(s) of the watches that could be handled as well as how short lived the devices were. I only have two that would need a device like this; only one of which I have any money invested in. I think I'll have to sort of keep looking or just live without.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Henryhoover likes this.
  15. MojoMarine

MojoMarine Loaded Pockets

Most winders on the market have cheap internals... and the reliable ones are way overpriced... you can get a nice watch or two for what you would pay for a quality winder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

16. Moshe ben David

That's pretty much the conclusion I have come to from what I've seen online. My two that I would have considered a winder for are pretty straight forward. One is a variant of a Seiko 5 Sport; the other is a Vostok Europa TU-144. Just as easy for me to let them run down between their wearing; other than getting the day/date/time correct not much that needs to be set. If they were chronometers MAYBE I'd think different. But I'm not even vaguely interested in a chronometer or an aviator so no worries!

Appreciate your insight!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David