1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch the Rolex OR OMEGA

Discussion in 'Watches' started by esprit, Apr 3, 2015.

1. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Hmm....I've never thought about putting my seamaster on a NATO strap. I might have to try that at some point.

It's on its 2nd full bracket and 3rd clasp. Then again, it's also been like 19 years.

Rich73 likes this.
  2. stuffgeek

stuffgeek Loaded Pockets

The blue Planet Ocean is amazing. If you want a blue watch, Omega is the way to go!

moostapha and Omega like this.
  3. slim4511

slim4511 Loaded Pockets

I say the heck with worrying what other people think about the watch you are wearing. Get the one that you like best for whatever reasons. I love my Rolex Explorer II Polar and GMT Master II. I also love my Omega Speedmaster. They all get time on my wrist as well as my G-Shock MTG S1000. I like wearing different ones for different situations. The Rolex watches I have are superb in every way. The same can be said for the Omega. I am sure however, that you are finding that the Omega line of watches tend to be less costly.

4. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

As in my avatar, I"m an Omega fan...

My jeweller tells me, the insider word in the industry is that Omega are better made, but Rolex managed to corner the PR/Advertising world first.. Not sure if that's true or not... but I for one thing Omega have a better image..

My friend has a lovely Rolex, but is constantly questioned 'Is it a fake?' - something you rarely get asked with an Omega for some reason...

Below is a nice clip:

sino2, ran23, Omega and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

That's interesting - the guy who looks after my watches here in France did his apprenticeship in Switzerland and swears that the Swiss can't hold a candle to the Japanese: he absolutely raves about Seiko movements. I have a few Seikos and he has always had good things to say about them when he's opened them. I also have a cockpit clock from a MiG-21 and he reckons it's an astonishing piece of engineering. The quote he gave me to restore it reflects that! But he also restored a Soviet-made watch I found and he really rated that too.

Just goes to show you can't always believe marketing...!

6. Blinks711

Blinks711 Loaded Pockets

I think you are gtg on either brand although I am partial to Omega as I wear a Seamaster on a daily basis. One caveat with Omega is the factory service at the NJ swatch location. The attention to detail there is lousy and I have had to send mine back multiple times after a service to get the movement back to normal. Never a problem if you send it to the Swiss location.

7. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing a Rolex Submariner for 15 years. I have a few other watches, but this gets all the wrist time. Almost no one says anything about it. And it holds its value. So to me there is little choice. However, I'm partial to the Tudor (owned by Rolex) Pelagos. Take a look at that. It's Ti and on my short list if I was to ever replace the Sub.

8. Bob Mills

Bob Mills Empty Pockets

Omega. In 1972 at the age of 14 I purchased an Omega Speedmaster Professional and have worn it all my life. I did purchase an X-33 and really like it but the Speedmaster Professional looks great in both a suit and jeans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Froley and malraux72 like this.
  9. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Cool. You are just 14 years older. Perhaps it is a time for a new watch. That thing has to be really beat up by now. Being a nice guy I'll buy you a new one. One of those big tacticool ones . Perhaps bright orange with tiger stripe...? Just sell me the old thing for the original price you bought it for in :D 1972. How much was it ?

10. Bob Mills

Bob Mills Empty Pockets

My cousin sent us an Army PX Catalog from Vietnam. He ordered it for me for $300.00. I had it in for a complete overhaul 3 years ago and it is in perfect working condition. I wore it in the Army myself as a Military Policeman from 76 to 79 then in college at Michigan State. Certainly a great watch. Here it is.

[​IMG]

azpops, sino2, Froley and 4 others like this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

So gorgeous. I love speedmasters. I need one to add to the (one watch) stable at some point.

12. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

I was hunting for one from 72 . Then I got a seamaster as a gift. I love the way the bezel is scratched up. My offer stands.
    Any time.....;)

13. Bob Mills

Bob Mills Empty Pockets

I refuse to replace the bezel. Like me it shows its age very well.

14. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

That is what makes it a timeless classic. It shows age.

15. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

Great watch (and history) Bob!

Jeff

16. Puinsai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Puinsai Loaded Pockets

Buy both. Seriously...

17. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

My two cents---forget the others and go with
    The Omega Speedmaster Professional with black leather band-----
    It will always be a classic no matter what .....

malraux72 likes this.
  18. Mr Doode

Mr Doode Loaded Pockets

I spend a great deal of time in Las Vegas and generally think of a rolex wearer as a douche bag from California. But then I ended up sitting next to Mike Thornton on a flight to Dallas, he was wearing a gold GMT. So if you're a genuine bad :censored: of the first order, get the rolex, but think about the sea dweller. If your :censored:edness isn't quite up to that level I'd lean towards a vacheron constantin.

19. Kfox

Kfox Loaded Pockets

I have no real offering to this discussion other than when in New Orleans I made the mis-take of going into an estate jewelry shop and asked to see an Omega no clue which model, placed it on my wrist and understood why men/gentlemen wear a watch. I hope in a month or two to be a gentlemen. That said a person who I highly respect and think of as my third grandfather wears a very expensive gold Rolex-he's old enough and successful enough and swiss to wear it well. If I live that long, thats the way I go for my second watch.

20. slim4511

slim4511 Loaded Pockets

I have 2 Rolex watches - GMT II, and the older Explorer II Polar (16570). I also have an Omega Speedmaster Pro. I am happy to say that I still really like all of them and don't regret buying any of them. Good thing considering how much they cost. The Speedmaster is a little more "under the radar" so to speak and wears really well. The GMT II is bigger than the others and also wears well however I tend to wear it only on somewhat special occasions. As far as the white/polar Explorer II, it is my daily user. It is the lightest of all of them and wears perfectly. Being 39mm and a bit lower in profile, it doesn't grab a ton of attention. To me though, I really don't care if anyone sees it or not (probably prefer they don't) as I do not wear it for status purposes. I just really appreciate outstanding workmanship and think they all are really good looking watches.

Safety1st likes this.