1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch the Rolex OR OMEGA

Discussion in 'Watches' started by esprit, Apr 3, 2015.

1. esprit

esprit Loaded Pockets

Watch for EDC are valuable goods. Rolex Black Ghost is very atmospheric, fine workmanship and perfect design.
    OMEGA AQUA TERRA 150 series 231.10.42.21.02.004 also like. Do not know how to choose, listen to your views

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Rolex makes great watches but over here they suffer a bit from some bad reputation as every criminal and his uncle wears one and almost everyone will assume its fake. Don't know how that is where you live or if you give a crap about that tho.

Omega watches dont have any of that kind of rep and personally i think they look a heck of a lot better too... especially speedmasters, dunno why but i just love those.

Safety1st likes this.
  3. jamgam

jamgam Loaded Pockets

I own a Rolex Milgauss. I find it to be a fanstastic watch as expected but I understand where Westerdutch is coming from. I'm sure most folks who see it think it's fake. I love the way it feels on my arm and wear it often considering I have it quite bad with watch aquisition syndrome

that Omega Aqua Terra looks awesome though. Really tough choice

4. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

i was going through the same thought process a few years ago, and went with an Omega Seamaster. I love it, and it wears really well. I also like that it's not a watch many people know unless they are enthusiasts. Everyone knows a Rolex, and if they don't think it's fake, bad elements can still see that it's 6-12k sitting there on your wrist. The Omegas look really nice, and don't scream expensive to me. but really you can't go wrong with either.

I keep thinking there will be a Rolex in my future. but then I think I'd rather have 3 new Omegas

Captdave13 likes this.
  5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I've worn a seamaster basically every day since late 1996. It's a fantastic watch.

I like rolexes just fine, and there are others I admire. But when it really comes down to it, I'll buy 2 more Omegas before I spend any real money on another watch. I still really want a de ville hour vision and a speed master.

Froley likes this.
  6. Ninjagaiden

Ninjagaiden Empty Pockets

There aren't any titanium Rolexes, but Omega make a titanium sea master. I have two Omegas and love them both.

I think you have to be obsessively into details to enjoy a Rolex. For example it has to matter to you that the numerals on the watch dial are finished in Platinum not stainless steel.

I'd take a Tudor pelagos over a Rolex submariner...

Looky likes this.
  7. Omega

Omega Empty Pockets

I've had this Omega Planet Ocean Liquidmetal for about a year and I love this watch I have the blue rubber strap with titanium buckle and also the titanium bracelet not pictured here but check it out
    [​IMG]

8. GunsnLaw

GunsnLaw Loaded Pockets

Westerdutch is right. If I see someone wearing a Rolex, I tend assume it is a fake. An Omega might make me think you are pretentious, but not a mid level drug distributor, which can be the suspicion when you are wearing a Rolex.

EXCALIBUR and Omega like this.
  9. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

I have a Rolex datejust that I really like. I got it pretty owned 10 years ago and it still runs really well without a service. It was freshly serviced when I got it, though. My next nice watch will be a stainless submariner with date. I really love omega as well, but the rolex feels more special to me. As far as people assuming that it's fake, I know it's real and it feels special to me, so that's all that matters.

GunsnLaw likes this.
  10. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

How about a Explorer 2? Nice watch, but doesn't have that "Sub" look. I'm partial to the white face model myself.

biomike and deeker like this.
  11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

In my mind Rolex are almost a victim of their own success - while they are undoubtedly superb quality and have a history few can come close to, they are also now just a sign of money to many - most people own them purely as a status symbol with little thought to the history and brand.

Omega on the other hand, while undoubtedly very well known (the moon watch being one of the few horological achievements to rival Rolex' list of 'first watch to go to...' are still quite far in Rolex' shadow in terms of being a status symbol, which I will admit I do prefer to some degree.both going to be superb watches,

As for which to choose - they are both going to be superb watches, so it really comes down to personal preference on the style, and how much you are willing to pay...

I did come to the realisation a few years back when I was in Vietnam that while you are generally told not to flash 'money' like expensive watches when travelling, in Vietnam the safest watch to wear probably would be a Rolex - they are so easily found in the markets everyone will just assume you a tourist with a new watch from the market, not someone with a few thousand dollars on your wrist ;)

Lynx1011, Omega and EXCALIBUR like this.
  12. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Since you are looking at these two brands money is not an issue ..... hence it boils down to what image is associated with the two watch-brands in your country. And what image you want to project.
    All my physicians sport a Rolex. It is almost a cliche.
    So do half of my friends from old Brooklyn. ( The other half does not wear a watch at all .) Neither are in the organized crime business . It is a fashion fashion statement and a status symbol. This applies to NYC.
    My bud is an immigration officer in :censored:. If a russian male wearing a rolex dive watch walks up his alarm goes off. That is the uniform of a mafia soldier.....

All this being said both Rolex and Omega are superb brands. Omega might be a bit more understated . Great quality and not so flashy... But I am prejudiced since I am a seamaster guy...

EXCALIBUR, Omega and GunsnLaw like this.
  13. GunsnLaw

GunsnLaw Loaded Pockets

I should probably state that I am biased because the Seamaster Chrono is my grail watch.

14. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

I have to say I am liking what Omega has been doing with their inhouse movement. First the co-axial escapement, and then the master co-axial series which is highly anti-magnetic without using a Faraday cage. And compare to Rolex, Omega offers quite better bang for the bucks. The Master co-axial Seamaster 300 is an awesome watch with a nice adjustable clasp.

But of course, Rolex is Rolex for a reason, and even with their pricing, I don't think they have problem selling their popular sports models.

Lynx1011 and moostapha like this.
  15. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

I'm not a big fan of Rolex, but that's mainly because all those young and rich :censored:s living here wear a Rolex just because they want to show they have money (I live right next to Switzerland, and French people who work there like to show they got money), but I admit they make great watches.
    On the other hand, Omega seems to offer a best bang for the bucks, the Speedmaster which offer a chronograph function and an iconic history costs 3500€ here when a Sub' is 8Kish...
    I am not telling Omega is better than Rolex, but imho they offer more for less. That being said, I'd love to own a 1665 or a 1680 ;)

GunsnLaw likes this.
  16. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Raggasonic,
    out of curiosity what does wearing an Omega speedmaster mean in France ? If I see someone on the street sporting a speedy what should I think ? Middle class ? Upper middle class ? Military..?
    m

17. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

From what I know, it doesn't mean anything. I only know 2 people who knew what an Speedy was : my wife and my best friend.
    As I told, people here love bling and easily spotted signs of "OMG look at me, I make lot of money" When I first wore my Speedy at work, the only comments I had were "How much ? Is this a Rolex ?".
    Honestly, Omega doesn't mean anything for 99.99% of french people, and I love that so I can keep under the radar

If you see someone in France wearing a Speedy, you can be 99.9% sure this guy is a watchaholic and knows the story behind.
    Wearing an expensive watch in France is either :
    - A sign of "look at me, I got big money", and the guy probably wears a Rolex, Hublot, or anything else that burns your eyes or
    - Just another addiction, just as knives or flashlights.

Just as an example, my father who's been a "high" manager for 20+ years always wore :censored: watches, just because he doesn't know how great can be watches. Black suits, white shirts, meetings and so on everyday, with a plastic watch on his wrist....

High end watches are just not in our culture, and if you ask people here to tell you the first luxury watch brand they have in mind, they'd tell you "Rolex" because they only know this brand (or maybe PP, perhaps).

malraux72 likes this.
  18. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Thnx !

19. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

These are both luxury brands so go with your heart and not with your head.

On a side note;
    When my father first spotted a Daytona on my wrist he said "for that kind of money, I'll pay somebody to follow me around and tell me what time it is."

Civilian and kd7dvd like this.
  20. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

Whatever you choose - my advice is to wear it on a NATO strap. Both brands make superb watches but a NATO strap really plays it down and takes away the "bling", much of which comes from shiny metal bracelets. I have a few good watches (IWC, Omega, Seiko) and I reckon a NATO strap takes away any "wealthy banker" misconceptions, and makes the thing more comfortable. And, if you suspect you might want to sell it /change it at some point it will keep the bracelet in good condition safely in the box.