1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch suggestions

Discussion in 'Watches' started by sportsfame18, Nov 10, 2019.

1. sportsfame18

sportsfame18 Loaded Pockets

I currently have a Apple Watch Series 4 SS Space Black and I am not too happy with it, especially having to charge it every night. My thoughts were in a “survival” type scenario, it wouldn’t be too useful so I have been looking into other watches that give me better options.

I have done some research through forums and YouTube, other than that I have zero experience.

The choices I have come down to are as follows.

1.) Suunto Core- Good history and lasts a long time but a lot of people seem really like it but now to be upgrading theirs.

2.) Garmin Tactix Charlie/Bravo (Only difference I believe is the heart rate monitor.)

3.) Suunto Traverse Alpha

4.) Garmin Instinct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

In a survival situation, I'd be looking at a G-shock that uses solar charging. There is such a broad spectrum of choices in terms of geometry, size, features, that I think you could find several candidates to consider.

Those of us who are fans of G shock are fans in large part because of how seemingly indestructible they seem to be; how relatively (dependent on size) light weight they are; and how on balance affordable they are.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I would tend to agree with Moshe ben David, but you don't really tell us much about how you use your watch and what kind of survival situations you are preparing for.

4. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I would definitely go with something that uses solar charging because you don't have to be concerned about battery life. I think Moshe Ben David's recommendation of a G- Shock is excellent advice. Seiko and Citizen make good solar watches as well.

5. sportsfame18

sportsfame18 Loaded Pockets

I don’t mean survival per se like end of the world just used in as an example. I picked those because of the features they offer and the reviews they receive.

I said survival because the Apple Watch would never help because it’s always needing daily charges. Most of those I listed lasts 10-14 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@sportsfame18: I got curious so just did a quick Google search. For G-shocks that are 'tough solar' (which is how Casio brands its solar charge watches...), it appears that on first getting a solar charge G shock most people will let it sit exposed to sunlight for perhaps a day; at which point they generally register a charge level of 'High'. Consensus seems to be that following that, with normal wear and with implementation of the power saver attribute the watches seldom if ever go below 'High'. Further there appear to be consensus that once charged the watches can go from several (e.g., 4~5) months to several years without 'really' needing a sustained recharge.

I have 3 Casio that are solar charged. Two are the aforementioned G shock 'touch solar'; and I've never seen either drop below the High charge level, even if they sit in a drawer for a period of two months (depends on my wear rotation). I also have a much older Casio solar charge watch that is a 1980's era design approach. Even it will last 21 days without a fresh charge -- it does not have an attribute for 'Power Saver'.

Hope this is useful to you.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

EMarkM likes this.
  7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

OK, then we are pretty much aligned when it comes to the definition of survival. In my head it's merely a situation where you are more dependent on your watch, e.g. hiking, traveling etc.

You still haven't written much about what features you want in your watch, but based on you choosing an Apple watch, and the models listed, it appears that you like some activity tracking and some smart features.
    If you need all of that, you're probably not going to do much better than the models you listed.
    I don't know those exact models very well, but I own a Garmin fenix 5s plus, and it has almost anything you could ask for in a watch. Great visibility in all light conditions, buttons for easy operation in all weather conditions, GPS/Glonass, heart rate, all kinds of activity tracking, maps, wireless payment, music streaming (offline support). The battery life is also decent, but there's one caveat - some of the features will seriously dig in to that battery life, especially activity tracking and maps/navigation.
    So, using the features that makes the watch great reduces the battery to apple watch territory, and you pretty much loose the survival aspect. You can mitigate this with a charging solution, but that creates new levels of dependencies.
    I'm not saying this kind of watch doesn't have its place and utility, you just need to know the downsides.

Something like the Rangeman G-shock will get you some basic navigation features, bombproof construction and basically unlimited battery life. i.e. you trade some features (well, actually a lot of features) for zero maintenance, trouble free timekeeping.

Certainly, G-shocks can be an acquired taste, and might not be the perfect wrist jewelry in all situations. If timekeeping is your main concern, there are lots of high quality analogue watches that can serve you well. Most have very good battery life, some models now come with lithium battery that often provides 10+ years of run time while others even have solar charging. I'm not going to list models unless you specifically ask, as you seem more geared toward digital, that will more than likely just be wasted time ;-)

Finally, I want to mention one option that I considered for some time before buying the Garmin fenix. Combining a dedicated activity tracker with a dedicated watch. This has many upsides. You get to chose your primary watch based on what you like, rather than what features it has. You can rotate watches and still have a single and continuous source for your activity data. And vice versa, your continuous timekeeping is not dependent on recharging your power hungry activity tracker. Simple activity trackers have also come down in price and depreciate much less in value than high end smart/activity watches. The downside, off course, is that you need to wear two pieces of gear instead of one to be fully covered. I got very hung up on that down side, and went with the Fenix even though I really just use it as hilariously expensive activity tracker. I kind of regret it now, but it does have a few features that are really convenient when hunting, so I might just keep it anyway.

EMarkM and YankeeHotelFoxtrot like this.
  8. JugglerDave

JugglerDave Empty Pockets

G-Shocks are great. I especially love the square models, which tend to be a bit less "tactical" looking (to me, anyway) and have a more subdued wrist presence. There's one to fit every budget, too, from $40 on up.

However, my aging eyes need a watch with better legibility, so I opted for a different Casio, the ProTrek PRW-3100. ProTreks are excellent EDC watches IMO: solar charging, MB6 on many models, v.3 sensors for ABC functions, 100m water resistance. Mine also has large digits on an STN screen, so is highly legible from every angle. It might not be quite as tough as a G-Shock but it's pretty close.
    [​IMG]

If you do need a watch with GPS and tracking features, check out the Garmin Instinct. Not as expensive as the Fenix line but it's built like a tank, and battery life is allegedly outstanding.

EMarkM likes this.
  9. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I would suggest a Casio Gshock or Protrek or even just a standard Casio with a decent water resistance rating (100M) The Apple thing you have is not a watch, it is an electronic device that happens to tell the time when it has power. With Casios I prefer the solar and atomic models but the standard battery operated models are not bad at all. With judicious use of the backlight the batteries will last for years and cost less than a dollar to replace in most cases. The solar models will work for years and years and years without having their battery cell replaced. The Gshocks are tough, tough, tough. If you like the shape of the apple a Gshock square 5600 series is a good bet.

EMarkM likes this.
  10. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Obviously there’s only one watch for a true survival situation and that’s the Breitling Emergency. Unfortunately they cost about the same as a late model Corolla so describing more about your needs might be helpful for useful suggestions. My reading is that most “survival” situations last 2-3 days before rescue.

11. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

the frequency that the Breitling Emergency uses ( Guard 121.5 MHz), has long been used to locate those in distress. However, new ELTs using that frequency are no longer being produced and satellites which used to monitor that freq no longer do so. Rescue crews, when dispatched, will scan for 121.5 though, as there are plenty of legacy devices which use it. See this:

http://aea.net/AvionicsNews/ANArchives/Dec08TheEndIsNearFor1215MHz.pdf

it's an older article but still useful.

I've always loved the Emergency watch but I doubt that it's still worth the money, what with its main feature being deprecated