1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch Service?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Medic7158, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

I bought a Citizen Promaster Diver's watch about six months ago @ Chronograph.com. It has run fast since i received it, I can't tell exactly how fast but after about a week its noticeable (maybe 20-30 seconds a day?). So i finally broke down and took it to a local jeweler who kept if for several (frustrating) days, only to not fix it. He said it needs to be cleaned and that it would cost about $90. I only paid about $250 for this watch new. Did i get a lemon? piece of junk? Is it normal for automatics to be this noticeably fast? Why should it need to be cleaned after only 6 months? Is it normally that much for a cleaning? I don't know if i should just buy a new watch or invest what it takes to get this one running well. Any info is greatly appreciated and i'm sorry if these questions have been covered elsewhere.

Chronograph doesn't have my watch anymore but i believe this is it. Although, i paid a bit more for it back then.

2. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

normal entry level automatics are usually rated +- 30 seconds a day. It's been my experience that +-15 is what can usually be expected from seikos.

It probably just needs to be regulated. On many watches there is a small screw or lever that can be moved to a + or - position to adjust how fast or slow it runs. I have done this myself and it is trial and error, going from 3 minutes fast to 2 minutes slow with almost imperceptible movement of the lever.

Of course you need to open it up the back for this, if you are brave enough to possibly screw things up.

I would try a different shop with a real watch maker who has a machine for regulating it. should be much cheaper than the $90 cleaning offered at the jeweler.

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I think watches only need cleaning/maintenance if they suddenly stop working or they become inconsistent (ie: +5 one day, -20 the next day). You just need it regulated. Seikos are claimed to be +/- 20 seconds per day, but out of the box they run worse. After a few months they settle down.

Like mrsuicide, I tried regulating my autos but found it to be an exercise in frustration.

4. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

5. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

Like everyone has already suggested you,
    search for another honest and competent watchmaker in your area.

Your watch doesn't need a cleaning (that involve a complete disassembling, cleaning and reassembling/oiling)
    but only a simple regulation

6. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

Thank you guys very much for the info. I think i will try a different watchmaker, as i expect i am past the "break in period". Do you guys think this watch isn't worth the time and should i just upgrade to a better watch?

So, how much would i expect to pay for an automatic watch that keeps perfect (or near perfect) time? Do they exist?

7. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

That citizen is a great watch, keep it,
    regulation only involve turning a screw/lever (inside the watch) near the balance wheel it's nothing complicated, a good professional with the proper machinery (vibrograph) can regulate your watch in no time.

Automatic watches don't keep perfect time, they can reach a good accuracy but not perfection.
    Even the COSC swiss certified chronometer watches have an acceptable range of +6 or -4 sec/day.

Movements like the low end citizen or seikos are mass produced, they are a bit "rough", they are designed to be dependable not to be champions of accuracy, with regulation they can attain a good level of accuracy.
    On the other side more refined movements may be more accurate but less dependable and shockproof...

8. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

Awesome!! So, its off the watchmaker for me. Thank you guys for all your help.