1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch Recommendation For a Guy With Small Wrists

Discussion in 'Watches' started by MouldyCrow360, Feb 19, 2007.

1. MouldyCrow360

MouldyCrow360 Empty Pockets

Hi, I was hoping you folks could give me some watch recommendations. I'm having trouble finding a watch that does not look like I have a clock strapped to my wrist. I have a vague idea of what I'm looking for but I could use some help finding something I like. My preferences are as follows:

-Small, yet no so much so that it looks like a ladies' watch (my wrists are a little under 7" around/cirumference)
    -Military or sport styling
    -Rugged and water resistant
    -Analog
    -Auto would be nice but quartz is fine too
    -Nylon band
    -Retails for less than $160
    -Relatively thin

:help:

2. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Hi Mouldy, and welcome to EDCF!! Wish I could help on the watch.

Larry

3. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

My Citizen Promaster is not overly large like some dive type watches and I think there's an automatic version of it as well. You can find them under your price range if you search a bit. The Zulu bands are a good match for them.

[​IMG]

4. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

MouldyCrow360: Welcome to EDCF!! I wish I could help you with your watch quandry.

5. GrantC

GrantC Loaded Pockets

I wear a pocket watch. Problem solved. :p

Seriously, I have tiny wrists (for a guy) too. Back when I wore a wristwatch, what I did is to find the model that I liked, regardless of size, then see if they made a ladies version. Typically they are identical (no indication of sex), but roughly 75% of the size.

-=[ Grant ]=-

6. UNTfan

UNTfan Empty Pockets

How about a Luminox or a Traser? I have a couple and I love them... especially at night (thanks to tritium tubes)... I think they are about 42 mm or so. My wrist is just under 7" too... and they fit great... You have various strap options including a nylon one. They are rugged and WR... and you should be able to find them online for a good price... Check them out... :luck:

7. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have small wrists too ( I am a woman.), but I do not like the small women's watches.
    TAG Heuer makes watches in 3 sizes; at least they did 7 years ago when I bought mine. It is their mid size. I recently purchased a Steinhart watch; and it is 39 mm's, that works for me!! I hope this helps you.

8. MouldyCrow360

Thanks for the greetings and recommendations. I do like the look of the watches suggested so far. All are within the realm of possibility. But what do you think of this Seiko? I noticed Seiko's Automatic Military line of watches seems to run small in size (35-37mm). Do they take their measurements differently than other companies do?

9. MouldyCrow360

10. MouldyCrow360

Yeah, I used to have a belt loop clip-on watch that I liked but it wasn't very high quality. It croaked a few years ago and I haven't worn a watch since. So I thought I'd try the wrist watch route again. Plus I have so much gear in or around my pockets these days that I'd rather not add anything else there.

11. cave dave

cave dave Empty Pockets

I like that watch quite a lot. I'm wearing the similar style Seiko 5 military SNK805 (various Seiko military). I got mine for a bit less on ebay but Chrongraph.com prices are certainly fair. The SNK805 and other color versions of same are 37mm wide not including the crown. I have 6.25" wrists and it fits great. I'm on the second to last hole. None of the Autos are all that thin, but they are a lot thinner than G-shocks so its all relative. The way its designed with a tapered back makes it look thinner on the wrist than it really is. I prefer the strap (metal rings) and case shape of the SNK805, but I like the dial of the 425. If you see two of the same watch with different prices it means the more expensive one was made in Japan.

If you like the Diver style but not the typical diver size, Seiko make 37mm Wide models the SKX 025 and 023 and a 39mm wide SNK 031&033. Smaller "Divers"

12. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have a titanium Seiko, with a green cloth (for lack of what to call it), that might work for you. It is a GREAT watch!! It was a gift to me. There is a picture (that Timecactcher took.) of it in the thread.

13. cave dave

cave dave Empty Pockets

I also have a Timex Metal Field watch that looks very much like that Seiko. Bonus it keeps better time and has an indiglo back light. The battery has lasted 5+ yrs. And they are maintenance free. You just buy a new one when it wears out. Although this model isn't in the current online catalog, so I might just have to service it when the battery goes. Around $35 with the stock leather strap (which was also very nice).

Here is mine on a NATO style 2 piece strap:
    [​IMG]

here is a different field Timex:
    Timex

I also own and like the Solar powered Citizen BM8180. ( I have a thing for military field watches)

[​IMG]

14. BladeDogg

BladeDogg Empty Pockets

I personally would ROCK the huge watches. I have 6.5 inch wrists and wear a 42mm watch plus watch daily. I would just get what appeals to you. UNLESS you are working in a situation where a big, high sitting watch would catch on something. Then I would go military, dress etc...38mm....

Have you tried looking at what Marathon has to offer? They have a few watches in your size and some of your criteria.

There is also tons of Seikos in your price range and size. Seiko 5 seems to have a lot of them.

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

15. MouldyCrow360

Thanks for all the help! I now know what to keep my eye out for on the Bay. I'll make sure to report back when I get something.

16. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

What are you leaning towards? If you don't mind me asking MouldyCrow360.

17. MouldyCrow360

Well, right now I'm thinking either the Seiko I mentioned or the Citizen that Cave Dave recommended. We'll see.

18. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Those are nice choices MouldyCrow360.

19. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

I've also have the Citizen Eco-Drive you're considering for a couple of years. It's a nice watch, actually almost the same in size as the Promaster I have, to within a couple of millimeters on measurements. The band that comes with it was too small for me, but will probably fit yours well. I used a velcro band for a time and finally got a two piece Maratac band for it. The Promaster just looks bigger on the wrist as it sits on top of the Zulu band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mrmakochan

mrmakochan Loaded Pockets

I have a small wrist as well and was also looking for small military style watches. I only wish that the Seiko watch was waterproof so that I could go surfing with it. I like it better than the Citizen watch.