1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch for Scuba

Discussion in 'Watches' started by LoneStar, Dec 11, 2012.

?

Watch for Scuba

1. Seiko Orange Monster

44.4%
  2. G Shock

38.9%
  3. Suunto Core

11.1%
  4. 2 watches, one on each wrist

5.6%
  1. LoneStar

LoneStar Loaded Pockets

I will be going scuba diving for the first time in a week or so and my question is which one of my watches should I wear?
    My Choices:
    Orange Monster- dive in style with a diver
    1 of 2 Gshocks- In case I want to go to depths of 20bar with a working watch
    Suunto Core- see how the depth meter works
    One on each wrist so I only have to narrow it down to two

2. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Be aware that even "dive watches" may leak, if seals are old and/or haven't recently been pressure tested ....

3. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

If it's your first time diving you don't really need a watch. Your Diving Guide should have a PDC (personal dive computer) where he controls depth, ascent time etc. just follow him ;) Otherwise I might go with the G-Shock. I haven't tried it myself (left my watch at home while diving), but 20 bar should be enough.

4. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

What ever watch you use have it pressure checked or you might be in for a big surprise if it leaks.
    Be safe than sorry.

Fukurai likes this.
  5. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

If its your first dive, don't bother wearing a watch.

You'll have enough to concentrate on without pressing buttons and twiddling bezels.

Also, if you wear one in future, be aware that some watches aren't waterproof if the buttons are depressed under water :)

Fukurai likes this.
  6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Seiko Monster is classy, but you can't beat a G-Shock for functionality and visibility IMO.
    Good luck on the dive. Do you really need a watch? prolly not. But why not?

7. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if GShocks are dive rated. They will work at depth as long as you do not press any buttons.. I may be wrong but I did kill my g shock attempting to change modes underwater at 30m as the buttons are not fully sealed.

If this is your first dive though, I would recommend not going down with an expensive watch first.. You might scratch things up getting used to managing all that dive gear and in the longer term if you decide to dive more, to instead save up for a dive computer..
    keep it simple.. if I had to choose 1 from the above, the seiko divers would be my choice.. I'd scratched up one too many resin watches on my dives but never the seikos..

nick nitro likes this.
  8. Muscon

Muscon Empty Pockets

You will find that only the Casio G-Shock Frogman is rated for diving.
    I would suggest (and did, via the poll!) that you go with the Orange Monster, the most dive oriented watch out of the list you posted.

Also, as others have said, you probably won't have any time to utilise your watch on your first dive, too many other things to do/see/think about.

nick nitro likes this.
  9. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Nuno Gomes took a G-Shock Frogman to 318.25 metres in his record dive. Frogmans are 200m rated like all G-Shocks, though I believe they are the only dive rated G-Shocks. However, any G-Shock should withstand the depths most people dive at on condition the gasket is in good order, which also applies to dive-rated watches. As others have said though, a dive computer is what you rely on.

I would consider having any watch pressure tested beforehand, especially if it's expensive; second hand; old; has had the case back removed at any time, or the battery changed by a jeweller. The gasket can be easily displaced while replacing the back (especially on screw backs), and I wouldn't trust this job to jewellers in general.

[​IMG]

nick nitro, SurvivePenna and Fukurai like this.
  10. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I've dived in a G shock before, and a pro trek too. I had the batteries replaced by Casio through my jeweller, as that was the only way to guarantee them being waterproof when I got them back :)

Sarky likes this.
  11. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Yes, some jewellers will send it off to Casio which is safe, though quite expensive I think. It certainly can be when you find yourself with 40 or 50 of them! I change all my own G-Shock batteries now and am quite confident of my own work. I'd advise trying it on a cheap model first though, as my first attempt was a bit of a nightmare. The WUS G-Shock forum has some fantastic 'How To' instructions for those wanting to give it a go.

I would also trust the 'Watch Hospital' with my watches, if there's one near you. That's where I take watches for pressure testing.

12. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Yep, it was around £18-20 for new batteries and seals.

My last pro trek had to go all the way to Japan for parts, and then the next time it went, I was told it was obsolete and Casio Japan couldn't replace the seals any more.

A few hundred pounds worth of titanium Casio is now a paperweight...

13. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Though a reputable watch repairer won't guarantee the integrity of reused seals, it may well be fit to reuse. Screw backs can damage the seals while being screwed on and off, but as the Protreks (at least the ones I'm familiar with) have the 4 screws in the back so the back just lifts off, I would certainly reuse the seal.

Just wipe it clean and apply a fresh smear of silicone grease. I'm sure Watch Hospital would take the job on, though they will probably tell you they can't guarantee a reused seal (fair enough). As long as the seal appeaers in tact I'd be confident it would be still water resistant enough for normal use, eg: swimming, showering etc. You could also splash out (excuse the pun) to then have it pressure tested to maybe half it's original rating, for some peace of mind.

14. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Dive computer and Frogman. Very nice combo. Frogman only serves as backup on any dive to your computer.

15. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I no longer have it now. Wish I had, I never saw another like it, got it in 1996.

16. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

As mentioned earlier, the casio frogman is the only ISO rated dive watch. It has a separate dive function that is deliberately engaged with the buttonology of the watch. It records your dive time, and surface interval as well as data logging the previous dive for accurate use of your dive tables. It is designed as a dedicated sub function of the watch.

Regular casios are not meant for diving. They may have a high rating, but its a disaster waiting to happen by using a stopwatch function on one of those watches to time a dive. The buttons can be inadvertently pushed to stop and then restarted by a wetsuit sleeve or glove cuff. That's why quality analogue dive watches have a one way ratcheting bezel. If you bump it, it only moves to shorten the dive and not lengthen it ( which can kill you dead as a hammer in a long ugly slow way)

Anything you dive with is literally " life safety equipment" as should be carefully maintained.

17. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Any competent jeweler can open a watch, effect a repair or replace a power source. The question to ask before you leave a watch with them is "do you have a chamber on site to pressure check my watch? It is a real dive watch, not a "safe queen".

You can be assured that a watch that will keep out a pressurized atmosphere will keep out water intrusion. I am such a fanatic, I request any watch i have work done on (even non divers) be pressure checked before I leave the watch shop.

18. TonyL

TonyL Loaded Pockets

As a certiffied diver, I used for more than 12 years a Citizen Aqualand 500. If you will attend diving for the first time, a watch is just anoter "bling" item on your wrist - the dive instructor will use a dive computer. You will certainly stop to no more than 10-12 meters, and, if you go through a thorough course, you could get to 20 meters in the first 10 days. It is not so easy, and there are certain things that you should learn to do - an eye on the deph gauge, another at the oxigen reserve, and so on.
    I am going soon to replace my old Citizen with a Deep Blue Juggernaut II with a yellow or orange dial ... A bargain at 600 USD, and rated at 1000 meters.
    Another fact - the depht ratings for watches are as follows:
    - 50 meters - you could keep the watch at your wrist when you wash your hands
    - 100 meters - you could shower with the watch on.
    - 200 meters - snorkeling
    - 300 meters - shallow water diving
    - 500 and so on - serious dive watch. But you should use ONLY proffessional services for maintenance!
    In my oppinion, the Seiko will do just fine.

19. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The watch is only one of your concerns,,,,,,, have you decided on a knife yet? ,,,,, and anti-shark devices and a water-proof note book and camera and whistle and first-aid kit and lanyard beads and mermaid repellant and multi-tool and what sort of nutrition is best for pre and post dive and a water-bottle and a bag to put it all in and a colour scheme for all of this?? ;)

shmook likes this.
  20. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Umm I'm not a diver but I'm pretty sure your dive knife is your anti-shark device ;)