1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Watch Covers

Discussion in 'Watches' started by samson722, May 17, 2006.

1. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

This might be impossible/asking too much, but I'm wondering if there are any really good nylon watch face covers out there. I've seen some really crappy ones that require you to remove the watch from the band and secure it to the cover, which lacks a really good strap anyway. Ideally, I would love something along the lines of zulu straps, but with a face cover on it, because I have a habit of scratching the crystal when I'm working. Any ideas, guys/gals? Thanks in advance.

2. JMV

JMV Loaded Pockets

I used to have a military style watch strap w/crystal cover that was fastened w/velcro, but it looked awful and was extremely uncomfortable, so I dumped it. I have seen pics of metal shrapnel guards from WWI, they just snapped on to the frame of the watch over the crystal, but I have'nt been able to find any for sale. Actually, I don't think they are manufactured anymore. If you can find a supplier, let me know.

3. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

So, I found several designs that look like quality products, but they don't quite fit my needs. They're all velcro closure...which sucks for my job. Velcro can suck up blood and contaminants like a sponge. Also, all the designs I've seen include their own watch band. I want to have just a cover for the face of the watch that integrates into any chosen watch band, like for instance a zulu strap. I'm thinking of buying one of these to mod it, so that it fits my needs.

<a href="http://www.uscav.com/prodinfo/enlarged/29751L.jpg">Blackhawk Clandestine Assault Watchband</a>

<a href="http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-2092488153345_1888_109968057">RAM Instruments Nylon Watch Band</a>

The mod I was thinking about doing sounds pretty simple, but I'm not sure if it's going to be easy to pull off. I would love some input, if you don't mind.

1) I'm going to cut the "strap portion" off, for lack of a better term, so that it leaves just the velcro cover portion. From the pics, I'm sure you can see what I mean.

2) Then, I'll cut a 20mm slit in the seam of the nylon on both ends, so that I can pass my zulu strap through it.

3) Reattach the watch to the zulu strap, and pass it out the other end of the cover, and viola! Protection for the face, and the comfort and reliability of a zulu strap! I hope this makes sense, and I hope it's an idea that'll work.

If anyone has any better ideas, or maybe even a better watch cover, let me know. I'd be very interested. Thanks.