1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

watch buying tips

Discussion in 'Watches' started by easygamer, Jan 14, 2015.

1. easygamer

easygamer Loaded Pockets

any good ones out there maybe ex army or the kind of watch you can smash into a rock and not have a mark on it?

Gilatabar likes this.
  2. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Casio G-Shock
    Timex Ironman shock resist
    Victorinox INOX

Most rock will leave a mark on the watch, but it will survive. :)

3. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

+1 on the g shocks! I have 2 that get well used. I don't know about smashed into a rock, but I've smacked mine on various objects with no effect. I did get bug spray on the one and it left little spots all over it. Was kind of a bummer.

Gilatabar likes this.
  4. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Look for something with a sapphire crystal. The number one requirement for me for durability.

Spike190 and Gilatabar like this.
  5. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

And sapphire is brittle which equals shatter. Hard to scratch though. So, do cracks count as scratches? Lol

Gilatabar likes this.
  6. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

+2 gshock. Love mine. If a medic can't break it, it has to be tough.

Gilatabar likes this.
  7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Love my Ecozilla

Not sure it can take beating with a rock, but mine has hit doorframes and walls.
    It has marks though, the edges are worn shiny, while the flat bits are still matte beadblast

6mm thick glass should be able to take a beating with 2mm of bezel above the glass to protect it
    (its a bulky watch, 18mm thick from memory)

I havent had a G-Shock - but from the ones i have seen, they seem to be pretty well built, almost everythingproof

Gilatabar likes this.
  8. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing Timex Ironman watches for a while now. I really like the cloth bands they offer as I don't wanna wear a metal band at work and the rubber ones drive me crazy. They are like $30 or $40, so every 2-4 years I just buy a new one if the screen becomes too scratched.

Gilatabar and Omega Man like this.
  9. DrCherryCoke

DrCherryCoke Loaded Pockets

G-Shock Riseman is built like a tank!

Gilatabar likes this.
  10. SJS101

SJS101 Loaded Pockets

There is no better alternative than a G-Shock to meet your needs. But I'll say it again, immediately ditch the resin strap as it's the weakest and most annoying thing about them and put it on a Nato/Zulu. Purchase the $5 adapter if need be. It may very well be indestructible that way!

Gilatabar likes this.
  11. ReGA_93

ReGA_93 Loaded Pockets

I totally agree. The rubber straps that most G-Shocks have are pretty crappy. The metal bands are usually a lot better.

Gilatabar likes this.
  12. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Gshock if you dont mind a bit of plastic..... T-SAR if you want the full metal experience (and yes, sapphire is a bit brittle but the T-SAR has an extra thick one to make up for it).

[​IMG]

Heavy duty metal everything, thick sapphire, tritium glow-for-years indicators, proper waterproof, can deal with shocks no problemo. Only downside i can think of is the battery-use. On mine its been around 4 years on a cell, but thats a good period to have it re waterproofed anyways!

chris 223 and Gilatabar like this.
  13. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I've never had a Timex Expedition fail, and I've been wearing variants of them since 2005. I'm always banging my watch into walls, doors, door jams, filing cabinets....stuff....

Gilatabar likes this.
  14. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

That's a very handsome tool watch, especially with the SS bracelet. Well done.

15. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I've had a Timex Ironman for over a decade. Dinged, scarred and still running. While I really like the looks of an analog, the Ironman has many useful features; alarm, timer, stopwatch, etc. Pretty cheap too.

16. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

It is a very handsome watch indeed! When i purchased mine i opted not to get the metal bracelet but to wear it on a nato instead, however when i do feel like full-metal then a seiko monster bracelet will fit just fine (tho its not as purdy);

[​IMG]

Thats an actual pic from my watch (as opposed to the one i posted earlier that i blatantly stole from the interwebs). Mine is an '07 contract one, so the tritium isnt the brightest anymore but still works just fine. Watch had seen quite a beating in its life, at one point the lume marker on the dive bezel fell out so i had to refill that but other than that and 3 or so dying batteries since i bought it the watch has been nothing but brilliant! I can highly recommend it

EXCALIBUR likes this.
  17. ReGA_93

ReGA_93 Loaded Pockets

You could take a look at Traser watches. It's the house brand of MB Microtec, the manufacturer of pretty much all the tritium vials in use today. Traser manufactures a lot of the Luminox watches for the Luminox brand.

18. Theo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Theo Loaded Pockets

Mechanical or battery ? Annalog or digital?