1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Washington state edc?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Mr. Gadget, May 11, 2014.

1. Mr. Gadget

Mr. Gadget Loaded Pockets

Hey guys I will be going to Washington state in August and was just wondering what the knife rules are and what so good edc items are. Thanks

From the pockets of a 16 year old prepper.

2. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

Hey, I am only a year younger than you and just wanted to tell you that any knife at 4' or less is ok. Also, you should have a light rain coat just in case, a flashlight, and any other personal gear you like to have with you. Are you going to be in the Seattle area or somewhere else, that info might be helpful.

Have a great day, Chester.

P.S: What type of knife do you EDC?

Rusty412 likes this.
  3. JTPhoenix

JTPhoenix Loaded Pockets

I think Eastern Washington has different laws than, say, Seattle. So yeah, it'd be helpful to know where you're going. It's 3" in the city, if I recall correctly, but I believe that also has to be a folder, no straight knives.

4. Xader

Xader EDC Junkie

Moses Lake (due north of Tri-Cities) limits to 3" as well, I believe.

I have in-laws up there that we visit occationally, so I bought a Benchmade Mini-Grip (2.91") specifically for Washington carry. I generally carry either a ZT 0550 or Benchmade 530 Pardue here in OR.

5. tb417

tb417 Empty Pockets

Here in Spokane I was told by the Sheriff's department you can open carry any sized knife you want. I specifically asked them if I could oc a full sized K-Bar and they said as long as it's visible.

6. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Knife laws in Washington are all over the place. State law is pretty forgiving (no autos, no length restriction, no double edges [my interpretation]). Most small cities have boilerplate code that limits you to 3". Sometimes that only applies in bars. Some places have separate rules for minors. It's a mess, truly.

City of Seattle permits 3.5" folders, no fixed blades of any sort. PM me if your itinerary includes King County, I have a comprehensive list somewhere on my hard disk.

JohnN and JTPhoenix like this.
  7. JTPhoenix

JTPhoenix Loaded Pockets

I'd be interested in that as well, since I live within city lines.

8. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

PM inbound

9. Mr. Gadget

I will be in silverdale Washington. About an hour from Seattle and in king county I believe

10. Mr. Gadget

Spyderco delica4 or buck 290 usually

Otherwise a gerber para frame or para frame mini

11. Iragon

Iragon Loaded Pockets

I thing it's folders under 3.50" and no fixed blade, for Seattle tho.

Me and my family went there for my favorite restaurant last week, I was EDCing Endura 4 and Izula, with Ka-Bar USArmy in my pack for no reason.

Then at the hotle, I checked the the Seattle knife law finding I was totally violating the law, but what else can I do..

So..ALWAYS CHECK THE LOCAL LAW BEFORE YOU GO OUT.

Luckily we weren't staying too long and get to come back to Southern Oregon pretty soon, so no trouble came up to me.

12. Mr. Gadget

My family is in silverdale so I'll have to double check.

13. Iragon

Iragon Loaded Pockets

Hmmm, city wise I cant find any knife laws they have.
    State wise, and knife wise, looks like only dirt, dagger, autos and butterfly knives are banned, which are very common across the nation.
    Personally I think you are good to go, but double check is always nice.

Christian Lindsay likes this.
  14. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Silverdale is in unincorporated Kitsap County. Excerpted from the Kitsap County Code is:
    Now, what the sam hill does this mean?? "Concealed in its handle and ejected therefrom" sounds like what we normally term a ballistic knife. Then they talk about "fixed-blade knifes that pivot!" :eek:

[ASIDE: In Renton, Washington, a "snap blade knife" is one of those X-acto knives that slide outward and are scored in several places, so when the tip gets dull you can snap the end off and get a fresh tip. I guess that such a blade can be said to be "concealed in its handle" somehow. Maybe. And maybe sliding the thing out is maybe "ejecting it mechanically." I guess. Potentially nasty, I guess, but no worse than any other out-the-front knife, automatic or not. (IMHO) (Renton prohibits the carry of such a knife--but you're probably OK in the home or office with one.)]

This is clearly a bit of code written in haste by a panicked councilperson who had no idea what s/he was doing, but was sufficiently shrill in chambers to get the thing passed.

The BIG QUESTION is, does this law prohibit assisted openers? Anyone in Kitsap County have any law enforcement issues packing an assisted opener?

15. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

I think they are attempting to say no out-of-the-front autos but butterfly knives (and maybe straight razors) are ok. I guess in reality, it means whatever they want it to mean.

Edit: they probably mean any auto

-john

16. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I have talked to the local police here in the tri cities, both county and city officers. The dirks and daggers one is big. No double edged knives. They are pretty lenient if you are carrying a normal pocket knife.

EXCEPT "superstitiously carried knives" i couldnt find the rcw on this but i know its a thing. the cops here dont care much if you have a knife in your pocket. But they do care if you have one hidden in your boot, taped to your leg or hidden somewhere else.Cops hate it when you hide weapons :)

17. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

tru dat. I think the word in the RCW is "furtive" which makes me giggle a little bit. Furtively, of course.

18. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

I'm in Eastern WA, and I routinely carry fixed blades and large folders. I haven't even checked if my city has additional restrictions; I figure if I'm carrying a handgun, a police officer isn't going to be bothered by my pocket knife.