1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Want to rid myself of my wallet!

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by pointoflight, Jul 14, 2016.

1. pointoflight

pointoflight Loaded Pockets

I don't want to be a slave to the stuff I carry ON me. I have an EDC small bag in my car. If I need a multitool, first aid stuff, other stuff, etc. I have a keychain that after years of experience I've whittled down to 1) a flashlight (OLight - aaa battery. One setting); 2) SAK Manager knife; 3) Small Gus Brand Pill Fob with 3 aspirin; 4) Tritium fob; 5) Small keychain pen; 6) 3 keys. It works for me just fine.

I also carry a small field notes notebook in a canvas cover and a typical trifold wallet and an Iphone 6. I'm dying to get rid of my wallet. It's just another thing to get lost, misplaced, stolen, etc. I've seen people with one of those Iphone 6 cases that hold 2-4 cards/IDs. Was thinking with 2 or three slots for my license, concealed carry permit, debit card, and a credit card. That's pushing it for the slots or the whole purpose is defeated. Maybe add a couple of bills too in one of the small pockets they seem to come with. However, after 35 years of carrying a wallet I just can't seem to break away. I keep telling myself, what about the other credit cards? What about my health insurance card? What if I have more than a couple of bills? What about my receipts? What about little notes I write and stuff in my wallet?

Has anyone successfully broken away from their wallet for one of those Iphone cases with card slots?

Last edited by pointoflight, Jul 14, 2016
  2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

While not exactly to the point of the original OP, I broke away from a bifold wallet (and formerly trifold) in favor of a leather card sleeve.Most can hold 2-3 cards, have a cash strap and an opening in the center for whatever doesn't fit elsewhere. They are very thin and force you to leave stuff you really don't need at home or in the bag. If you Google cash strap wallet you'll find lots of options.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

A large rubber band is what one of my guys use when going "minimal." He also states that the grippiness of the material somewhat minimizes slippage from his trouser pocket.

4. Devil'sRival

Devil'sRival Loaded Pockets

As Gary did, I've went to a card holder. Mine has 3 slots on one side, an ID slot on the other, and a cash pocket. It holds 4 cards, my ID, hunting and fishing license, and cash. I carry it in my front pocket and barely notice it's there. I bought a cheap one just to see if I'd like it and I'm not going back to sitting on my bi-fold.

If you want to jump right in, Saddleback leather has a good reputation and warranty.

5. Spirit_Rider

Spirit_Rider Loaded Pockets

I use Moss Greg phone case as my wallet. I have to fold cash (when I have it) but it work, been using it for 2 years and I won't go back.

6. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

I tried going down this path and have used a few different front pocket wallets/card holders over the years. These ranged from generic ones from Kohl's to test the concept to a Trayvax and Recycled Firefighter Sergeant. I think I like the Sergeant the best out of all of them.

Unfortunately it doesn't take much cash to make the things really bulky and I've gone back to a bifold made out of sail cloth because the material is so ridiculously thin in and of itself. I think this is the best alternative for someone who deals with some cash day to day. It's very thin so I forget its there and a few years of carrying a card holder has trimmed my wallet contents down. Basically my rule is one card per slot in the wallet.

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'd be afraid to bundle my wallet and cellphone together - that's putting all your eggs in one basket. If you loose your wallet, you can use your cell phone to get help or, in some cases, even pay for stuff. If you loose your phone, you can use your wallet to buy a burner phone or may pay phone call (if you can find a pay phone).

I vacillate between the functionality of a well-thought-out billfold, such as the Bellroy Note Sleeve, and the compactness of a card wallet. Currently, I'm using the Dash Wallet 2.0. It's kind of a awkward to get a few of the cards out, but it works well enough and is very compact.