1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Want to downsize from a RUSH 24 for EDC

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by aflax, Nov 9, 2014.

1. aflax

aflax Loaded Pockets

I've been lurking and researching for a little while now. The rush 24 is just too big for my edc. I'd like to get something bigger too, but that's another post. Right now I'm looking for something smaller.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

- Camelbak Mil Spec HAWG (Does anyone know if a MR Stick-it would work on this pack?)

- MR ASAP

- Goruck GR0 (I'm doing a challenge in April)

- TAD litespeed edc (Basically out due to availability)

I usually carry a smaller book or two, 3 ring binder, occasionally a 13" laptop, pens, notebook, etc.

I'd like to use it for weekend hikes too. I'm leaning towards the HAWG in foliage (if the litespeed or goruck were available in a light tan or foliage, I'd be more tempted by those, I have a few black backpacks already...). I like the goruck as well, and I go back and forth at least a couple times a day as to which one to get. I'm in no rush (no pun intended), so I may just wait it out and see if they come out with any other colors in the TAD or Goruck. Any opinions comparing the above packs would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

There are no bad choices in your list, but the ASAP does come in foliage and coyote.

3. aflax

aflax Loaded Pockets

MR is the only one that doesn't give a mil discount, so it would be the most expensive of the group. That's one of my only hesitations, it seems like a great pack. Think the ASAP would have any issues with a Goruck challenge?

4. zactimusprime

zactimusprime Loaded Pockets

If you hunt good old evil bay you can find OD or Sand GR's. But they would be more than buying directly from GR.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

5. aflax

aflax Loaded Pockets

I think I found a solution, and it involves getting two packs instead of one (that's normal right?) I'm gonna go with a coyote SD15 and a black GR1 from goruck.

bigfoot, Nighted and Heavyduti like this.
  6. FFEMT94

FFEMT94 ...

Too bad you can't get a litespeed I love my EDC and lite speed too!

7. aflax

aflax Loaded Pockets

I do really like the litespeed. It has a lot of the features I'm looking for and seems to be a great quality pack, but the lack of availability didn't help (I check the site daily to see if they ever have any in stock). I think they made some good updates for the new version, but I can't get one if they are always sold out.

8. FFEMT94

FFEMT94 ...

Oh yeah they can be a pain to get almost like a unicorn or a yeti lol. It is a great pack and very well made. While goruck checks a lot of the boxes they just seem to have a taken a turn for the worse in their expansion. I had a radio ruck and couldn't wait to get rid of it, not a fan of their backpacks. I just ordered a kit bag from them since the $63 price tag helped. You should check other forums since that's where I got my like new litespeed for $200!

9. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I saw on Facebook where GoRuck is coming out with a Wolf Grey GR1 on Friday...

bigfoot and Heavyduti like this.
  10. FFEMT94

FFEMT94 ...

Goruck seems to be trying to reinvent the wheel and they should have just stuck with what they had before. Instead they wound up trying to grow to big to fast and had a lot of problems. They lost a lot of customers over that.

11. aflax

aflax Loaded Pockets

The 32L kit bag and Coyote SD15 came in the mail today. The kit bag is definitely a nice bag, but I'm really impressed by the SD15. The color is a little darker than in the pictures. There is a firm piece of foam in the bottom panel, so it will stand up on it's own and the rest of the material is pretty stiff. No back padding, but doesn't seem very necessary for a small pack like this. The build quality seems extremely good too. I also ended up ordering a Wolf Grey GR1, not really sure how that happened...

bigfoot and Heavyduti like this.
  12. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

That wolf grey GR1 looks great on their site, nice alternative to the usual! It's a great size for EDC, work, school or light travel. I think I'm going to go back to my black 1 and bench the Radio Ruck for now to see how it works for me.

bigfoot likes this.
  13. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

I think the Wolf Grey models were snatched up really quick. If you can share pics when you get it, that would be awesome. :) There were not many photos on the GR site of the color.

14. Tom Tabal

Tom Tabal Loaded Pockets

15. Darrel S. Jarvis

Darrel S. Jarvis Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Rush 12 ... assuming you like everything about the Rush 24 aside from size. I don't think you can really go wrong with the ASAP, Litespeed, Gr1 either though...

Heavyduti and tmedina like this.
  16. aflax

aflax Loaded Pockets

I swapped over to the SD15 for EDC and have been using the Rush 24 as a gym bag, it's been working well in that regard.

17. Tom Tabal

Tom Tabal Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Tom Tabal, Jul 29, 2021
    #17 Tom Tabal, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021