1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wallet Pick Pocket Prevention

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by WESBC, Sep 1, 2008.

1. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

someone once told me a trick to help minimise the impact of pickpocketing.
    get a cheap wallet, put in a couple of small denomination notes (say a $10 and $5 or something) and maybe an expired card or two
    put the rest of your money somewhere safe (eg a zipped inside jacket pocket) put the other wallet somewhere fairly obvious.
    the theory is that the pickpocket will spot the obvious wallet, and won't look any further.
    also it could come in handy if anyone tries to mug you, as you hand over the practicaly empty wallet, and again they miss the main one.

2. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I used to carry THE wallet and the Jr version (not at the same time) but both were too big and caused discomfort when carried in my back pocket as I usually do. I've carried an All-ett for the last few years and it is great. If I'm going into the city I'll switch it from back pocket to a front pocket, and put most of my cash, my ID, and a credit card or two in the other front pocket in a titanium money clip. If my wallet gets lost or stolen, I'll still have my ID, cash, and a card or two.

3. Nocam

Nocam Loaded Pockets

What about pants where the back pocket has a zipper or a button? any way for them to get around that?

4. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I dunno, a really sharp knife to cut the pocket open?

5. Nocam

Nocam Loaded Pockets

Well by that time I''m pretty sure I'd be aware of whats going on behind me.

6. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I would not bet the farm on being so aware -- it has worked well enough to have been going on for quite a few decades now. Subtle distraction is the key for almost any pickpocket attack.

7. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Pickpockets are pretty good at what they do, so even if you are sure of what is going on behind you, it is worth acting as though the person behind you is a pickpocket. I found this at http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,844877-2,00.html

"Arab pickpockets specialize in port cities. They use razors to slit back pockets of tourists in bars. They bump up against people brusquely, with no finesse."

¶"Japanese use acid sprays to disintegrate trouser pockets. They're experts at removing tourists' cameras: just lift gently and slash the strap."

I have heard of similar methods used in the Paris Metro.

8. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

Best pick pocket prevention, be 280lb and scare the :censored: outa everyone lol.

[img width=640 height=408]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z52/Roger159/frankmcgrath1-1.jpg[/img]

9. tylerglat

tylerglat Empty Pockets

When I travel.. I usually carry all of my money in various different pockets.. (I think that I may be a bit paranoid.. but, you know.. an ounce of prevention....)

1) I keep some cash in a money belt that I NEVER touch unless an absolute emergency...ie, I need to get to the airport NOW (dollars or euros work best)
    http://www.safetycentral.com/lenclhitrwa.html

2) larger bills and credit cards for bigger purchases and readily accessible ID (driver's license) in something like this:
    http://www.safetycentral.com/clsaclsepo.html

3) passports in something like this.. you get used to it rather quickly. Unless you wear joey ramone type skinny jeans.. these are really unobtrusive...
    http://www.safetycentral.com/leatmonsecbe.html

4) small bills in a front carry money clip...

I am thinking about getting this as well...
    http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=4099-9930&key=84e9ce18-2a2e-4b07-9a4e-266e77ca4602

10. oldblazer

oldblazer Loaded Pockets

My post is probably too late for the OP, but for the rest of us the best prevention to avoid having your pocket picked is being aware of your surroundings, there is no magic gadget that will work all the time, but even awareness is not a guarantee to keep everything secure.

My Friend #1 was walking in an African outdoor market when a vendor sitting on the ground started pulling the cuff on my Friends trouser leg. As my Friend looked down to see the commotion he automatically reached his right hand to his belt to cover his cell phone. My Friend’s hand beat the vendor's accomplice by a fraction of a second; both the vendor and accomplice, knowing they were busted, just grinned.

My Friend #2 was walking in an unknown Mexican location when his wallet was picked from his front pocket. My Friend had been in the habit of carrying a decoy wallet in his back right pocket, but observant thugs saw the real cash/cards carried up front and they scored.

My Friend #3 was walking in an outdoor Colombian market when their waist pack was slashed by a razor. No contents fell out because my Friend lined the bag with paper or something (I’ve forgotten what). These street thugs were also known to slash a front pocket if it looked like a fat target.

Having walked the same Colombian markets I always carried a woven bag that looked just like the bags carried by everyone else. I always kept one hand on the bag and would randomly change the bags position (such as from hanging by the strap on my right shoulder to handheld in front of me to tossed over left shoulder like Santa Clause to …). I never had problems.

My wallet is a no-name leather product that usually rides in my front right pocket, along with a SAK. In public I don’t like to put my hand to my leg “just to see if it’s there” because my motion can alert a bad guy to my stash. Instead, to “check my pocket” I’ll lean against the wall or a counter, or sit on a bench, or pretend to be ADHD and use both hands to clap and pat both legs (while humming a tune naturally), check my reflection in a glass or mirror (I know what I’m looking for), or whatever. Above all, be aware of where you are, who is around you, how close are they, and have you seen someone before. So far so good.

11. Liberty1992

Liberty1992 Empty Pockets

i have a wallet chain that attaches to my belt loop, but i dont wear it anymore because my catholic school doesn't condone it, they think it makes me look like a hoodlum. but on my days off school all my cargo pants have velcro or zippers. other than that i keep my money in a money clip in my front pocket if i think there's a chance I'll get pick pocketed. also, as someone else already posted, i am 260 lbs and scare he crap outta everyone (hence my profile pic, lol).

12. theChipmunk

theChipmunk Empty Pockets

When in London, I must look like a right maniac, because I am always constantly swinging my arms around my pockets in a nonchalant manner and if I have my camera bag on, I'm always twisting about 45 degrees sideways every so often, so that if someone did have their hand in there, I'd instantly know about it.

Best protection? The (many) times I've been on crutches - no one's going to reach past two high speed metal sticks!

Seriously though, I find putting metal wire in straps etc helps. As for wallets, I rarely carry one - I prefer to stuff a bit of cash in my pocket or in my leg.

theChipmunk

13. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

I use the same method I like this method because the rubber band wrapped around you wallet makes it stick more to your pocket. Buttoned and zippered pockets only prevents your wallet from falling off but it doesn't do anything for pick pockets, I've know pick pockets that would use sharp blades to slash the lower part of your pocket and just wait for you wallet to just slide out I know this it happened to my grandfather!!!

The other method i use is just put my wallet between my tummy and my pants my wallet my be sweaty but is one place i know a pick pocket wouldn't put his hands on.

14. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

Carrying your wallet in your front pocket is a good idea. When around people, put your hand in your pocket and on your wallet. My uncle taught me another trick where you put a hair comb in the crease of a bifold wallet and wedge it in your rear pocket-teeth facing up. It is very difficult to take out when you need to pay for something, but it's darn near impossible to get out if you aren't expecting it-and most probably wouldn't be. It will not stop someone from using the razorblade technique however.

15. Squilt

Squilt Empty Pockets

I keep my wallet on a bike chain (like the one when you pedal the back wheel moves ) anyway then it goes in my back pocket but the chain can't flex the the left or right so if someone tries to take it , it bunches up and gets caught on its self and then you can feel if someone is trying to take it because they're struggling to fix it or to get it off. :idiot2:

Link to bike chain: http://www.undergroundstation.com/catalog_detail.aspx?id=39160

16. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I carry my wallet in a front pocket along a handkerchief and some change. Not only is it hard for a pickpocket to reach, the change provides a warning of a slash attack.

17. Joe S

Joe S Loaded Pockets

I know this means not keeping the EDC intact, but if you take out the CR123s, you free up a whole pocket.

IMO, pockets are for things you must instantly have at hand. Spares are spares for a reason, into the man-bag they go.

Joe S.

18. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

I would, but I had this dream once that I ran out of batteries in the middle of the night. It was very hard getting back to my car for the batteries. Ever since then, I have been carrying spares in my back rear pocket. I don't have a bag with me outside of school, so that's out of the question. Anyways, if I toss the batteries, I might be tempted to carry another flashlight.

19. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

When traveling, I split everything up, passport, driving licence, some money and other bits and pieces in a neck wallet by Samsonite or Delsey,inside the waistband another type of wallet that Samaonite and Delsey do that has a belt loop so you can carry it IWB and just flip it out for access. In that I carry Spanish ID card if in Europe, credit cards, money etc. Other pockets various stuff. I never carry anything important in back pockets. Also keep a small amount of money in low value notes to use as a sacrifice if it is impossible to deal with a mugger any other way, you can also have a couple of none functional credit cards to make it appear more genuine.Each of the two shoulder bags I use have velcro loops on the back so I can put the strap over my head to carry it diagonally and then attach to my belt via the loop with the bag around to the front, not at the back.This is how most Spanish guys use shoulder bags in big cities and busy tourist spots.
    The basic answer is splitting everything to minimise what you could lose and vital docs on body not in a bag. Even a 280 lb Arnie clone is not proof against mugging and pocket picking.

20. Alexipax

Alexipax Empty Pockets

How about moving the cell phone or the backup batteries to a belt holster? That would also free up a front pocket. A cell phone holster is fairly ubiquitous and could hold either the cell or CRs without drawing attention.