1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wallet/ Keychain/pocket balancing act...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by bryan123, Sep 7, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Years ago before I got into EDC I was interested in having a very thin, minimalist wallet. As a way to keep my wallet thin, I put a bunch of those smaller store and loyalty cards on my keychain so I wouldn't have to carry the corresponding larger card in my wallet.

Now, as an EDCer who enjoys having useful keychain tools but still likes to have a keychain that's not overly bulky or heavy, I have relocated all those store, loyalty and gift cards to the glove compartment (since I usually can't go to any of those places to use the cards unless I drive there).

So now my keychain has keys, and just a couple of tools. Nitecore Tube and small knife or multitool.

My wallet now has cash & only the cards that I use at least once a week, credit card, debit card, DL, ins, etc. For those times when I think I might need a bottle opener and I don't have one on my keychain, the Pocket Monkey goes in the wallet.

I usually have a larger SAK and a Fenix E05 in my RFP on a P7 clip, but not always.

What's your carry strategy?

O_G likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I typically carry two rings/chains/...

• On a large, cheap carabiner dangling from my belt loop (unless I'm actually in business clothes or similar): car key, car fob, Nitecore Tube. If I'm in business clothes I have an alternative ring with identical set up that is lighter to sit in the suit pocket
    • On a Ti Pickpocket: housekey, NiteIze Doohickey, LM Squirt PS4, CountyComm Ti small widgy bar, Omron pedometer. This hangs inside LF pocket of jeans.
    I also carry a Sears 4-way screwdriver and a P-38 can opener in my coin pouch.
    L'chaim!
    Moshe ben David

bryan123 likes this.
  3. BigJerm

BigJerm Empty Pockets

I keep the store cards in the truck like you. Most of loyalty rewards cards are loaded on my iPhone so I don't have to keep up with them. Wallet is a trayvax summit, nice and slim. Keys are on a carabiner with second Biner that holds an olight, griffin pocket tool, Swiss army classic and less used keys, all on S-biners. I can add or remove as need or just unclip my car keys for the times when carrying a keychain isn't needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan123 likes this.
  4. Torque

Torque Loaded Pockets

I found that having your main car key quick-detachable from your house/work keys and other small EDC items is useful. Especially if you have to take your car in for repairs/maintenance, or to let someone else drive it or borrow it.

My house/work keys are now all consolidated on a Keysmart, and detachable from my main key ring. As are my EDC items.

5. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

My balancing act is my keys and knife my rfp, wallet, chapstick, and flashlight (if I'm carrying it) in lfp, phone in lbp, and bandana in rbp. When at work, the keys go in my desk drawer, and phone goes on the charger, so I don't carry a whole bunch of stuff if I don't have to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bryan123 likes this.
  6. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

+1. Having a huge key ring with multiple car fobs is just too big and heavy. I drive 1 car 90% of the time so that ring is separate with the 2-3 loyalty cards and gym cards on it. The rest are on a Keybar.

Tools, outside of a folder, are either a SAK or LM Wave.

TV09 and bryan123 like this.
  7. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

I have cut down on the keyring with just car key, fob and door key. I have another ring on a tec clip with Streamlight Nano, p38, pill fob and key for the truck cap. The store cards are on my Galaxy S5 using the card star app. Works great and you can use the app to store other useful numbers too.

TV09 and bryan123 like this.
  8. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think you can generally use a phone number in place of a loyalty card. I've never carried such a card.

9. battlestage

battlestage Loaded Pockets

I ditched everything nonessential a couple years ago. Four keys and key fob in one pocket. Saddleback Leather ID carrier with only the essentials in it in the other pocket.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

10. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I like to keep things minimal. I loaded loyalty cards onto my iPhone. I keep a couple store credit cards locked in my Jeep. My keychain has 3 essential keys (Jeep key can be detached), a aaa flashlight, and an Atwood ghost tool. I have a slim card wallet with just the essentials but I am waiting for a leather iPhone wallet case to come in. I'm going to see if I like this better than an individual wallet. Knife is clipped in my right front pocket and that's about all I carry. Covers all the bases for me and is pretty light and easy to carry.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I do not like to load my pockets full of gear, it's cumbersome and a routine of loading and unloading pockets.

I simplified my stuff so I only have to grab 3 items.

Knife
    Wallet phone case
    Keychain (flashlight)
    Bic lighter

12. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

Yup, I just carry a car key and a house key on a handmade copper/brass S-carabiner, which goes clipped to a beltloop[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#12 Sheepdog149, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    loneslinger and keycutter like this.
  13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Mine's similar: Wallet (with pen & notepad in it) Keys (with keychain tools, including bottle opener). Thorfire AAA flashlight. Knife--usually a CRKT KISS or Swiza D04.