1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Walking on Concrete..

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by JKirkland, May 17, 2015.

1. azJim

azJim Loaded Pockets

Stretch the calf muscles. I lean against a counter and move my feet way back keeping my heels on the floor. do this a couple of times early am and during the day as needed. Another way is to put your toes on a book or brick and your heels on the ground.

2. Kingfish

Kingfish Loaded Pockets

I just got the super feet blues and I'm already feeling a good difference in arch support.

wrath0r likes this.
  3. Spartigus

Spartigus Loaded Pockets

You should try looking at 3 things

Your walking technique - however more than likely its from overuse as apposed to incorrect biomechanics, unless maybe you start developing shin/knee/hip/back pain.

Stretching - as said above. Also try getting a hard rubber ball (hockey ball) and roll that on the arch of your foot to assist with moving the fibers and tendons.

Good shoes - I do an on your feet job and I always hard trainers and often got sore feet. Moved onto boots (5.11 ones, relativly cheap), and wow was I impressed, my feet felt amazing. I went right out and got a nice pair of leather boots for going out as well.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

4. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

I'd echo the stretching comments, and suggest (heat issues aside) you look at Dr. Martens with the air-wear sole. They insulate you from the floor better than anything else I've ever used; in terms of shock, cold, heat etc. I prefer Eccos and Altbergs for fit, but that sole is a masterpiece.

5. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Did you get around to getting new shoes and if so, how have the been working for you?

I spend a lot of time standing and walking on hard surfaces too and am still looking for the right pair of shoes. I've tried a number of different shoes/boots and nothing seems to work. Now if I could loose about 40 lbs and 40 years, I'd be in good shape. ;)

6. JKirkland

JKirkland Loaded Pockets

Sorry for late reply. Haven't been on in a while due to school, work and family obligations. I went with a pair of low top keen shoes. I believe they are the Koven model, non waterproof. They seemed to really help a ton. My feet have adjusted to all the walking now, I average about 25,000 steps in a 6 hour shift. I am constantly moving. :eek: I think having a "stiff" shoe compared to a running shoe made all the difference for me. I can wear nike running shoes some nights but I notice my feet are sore when I get off. Hope this helps you. I have lost about a pant size and half since I started. All the walking and carrying 80 lbs of screws up ladders everyday helped with that. I think that probably made a difference in my feet not being as sore as well. Now I just need to make my bad knee stop hurting after kneeling on the concrete while doing stuff on the lower shelfs. :rolleyes:

keith1234 likes this.
  7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I've seen people wear knee pads while working in the store I'm at but on the day shift that's usually frowned upon. I have taken cardboard boxes and flattened then out folded in half and kneeled on them which does help to lessen sore knees, I should know my one knee is pretty bad some days from working in retail stocking shelves for nearly 30 years. Also from some of the dumb stuff I did as a kid.

8. JKirkland

JKirkland Loaded Pockets

I don't believe they would let me wear knee pads. Some of the rules really make me scratch my head sometimes. And don't get me started on the rules of what kind of box cutter I can use. :mad: I tried a knee pad that we sell that goes under your pants, but it doesn't stay in place for very long, and makes your pants look odd around the knees. We had a rolling stool that we used to stock or work on stuff that is low, but it was taken away for "Safety" reasons.

keith1234 likes this.
  9. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

I work at your Orange competitor store in the garden department and i know exactly what you were going through. Im 24 but after a long 9 hour day i was walking around like i needed a cane. The balls of my feet were sore and my ankle hurt from an old high school sports injury. When it gets really bad i wear the 5.11 ATACS for the ankle support but my feet have gotten used to just walking around in my Timberland Pro boots. My boots have gone to hell and back in snow rain smooth concrete inside the store rough concrete outside scraping against pallets and against the floor whenever i have to kneel. Almost 2 years and they keep on kicking. As for knives i use the store box cutter for simple things like opening boxes but i have a wingman and a leatherman c33x for anything requiring a real blade. If you need knee pads just use them if they give you any trouble ask if they are going to pay your medical bills when your knees go to hell.

Sent From Another Dimension

Dorian and keith1234 like this.
  10. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Try replacing the foot beds. Try something like SuperFeet. Check out different arch heights and densities.

Shoes need to be replaced more often than you think. Just cuz they still feel comfy doesn't mean they aren't killing your feet in the long run (no pun intended).

Get to a podiatrist too.

As for knees some pants come with inside the leg pockets for pads. You hardly notice they're in until you kneel on the floor.

I went to the vet with some friends. They always say I'm a sick puppy.

keith1234 and Dorian like this.
  11. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

That's something I do fairly regular is changing the inner soles about every 2 months even when they tell you they last a lot longer then that.

12. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

There are several brands of pants made for the trades that have pockets sewn into them for knee pads. Blaklader is one but there are others too. Google is your friend there.

Lots of stores have all kinds of silly safety rules, from the kind of knife to the kind of ladder or stool you can use. Remember they're writing most of those rules for the "least able" among us. WalMart uses a self retracting knife that requires the uses to squeeze it to extend the blade. It comes with a belt holster and tether cord. I don't know if the tether is to prevent loss or prevent leaving a knife on a shelf where a kid could find it.