1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Walking on Concrete..

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by JKirkland, May 17, 2015.

1. JKirkland

JKirkland Loaded Pockets

No, I haven't. I figured it was partially from not being used to walking that much on a concrete floor. My last job was standing at a machine, or changing out molds, working assembly etc. It didn't require walking as much. I wore my Keen boots today and while my feet were still sore it wasn't nearly as bad. On my way to work this morning my feet were sore enough it hurt to push the gas and brake pedals. I am thinking the boots are more firm and fit better so that is why I wasn't any more sore than I started with. I am going to try a low top, non waterproof version from keen and see how that goes. My boots are waterproof so my feet were sweating like crazy while at work. I did a lot of loading today, company came and wanted 100 bales of hay, so the waterproof boots didn't work to great in a hot 53' trailer with the heat. I figure if I go a low top, breathable hiking shoe I will be fine.

vegassprky likes this.
  2. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I would checkout a walking store in your area. Now, I said
    walking store, not a running store. There's huge difference
    in shoe design!!!

Ecco shoes are my favourite. Also, Finn shoes.
    Quality socks are important too!

3. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

Merino is a type of wool that is much finer than normal sheep's wool and has many benefits over normal wool or synthetic socks.

If you go into your local outdoors shop and ask for Merino wool socks they should be able to point you in the right direction.

It looks like Smartwool is a US Mfg of merino socks (have a look at their "Men's PhD Outdoor Light Pattern Mid Crew Socks" which look to be suitable).

4. Blitzkrieg
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzkrieg Loaded Pockets

I've been on my feet at my job walking around for almost 13 years. One thing my podiatrist said was NEVER to buy Sketchers. They have zero support built in, bad enough that I needed to pick up special insoles to make them useful. I've had Merrells, Bates combat boots, Keen closed toe sandals (Which I wear 9 months out of the year in NJ) and it's all the design of the arch for me. Take a look at replacing the insoles before you replace the shoes, it might save you some cash.

5. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

In the UK, it is the duty of your employer to supply PPE where it is required.

That being said, I tend to use cheap insoles as I do not mind throwing them out after a few uses.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The company may make great shoes, but that has got to be the worst brand name ever.

7. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I also do a lot of walking in various terrain.
    I have found these to be very comfortable.
    Rocky L2 8" Waterproof.
    I have worn them in below zero for short periods up to an hour with wool socks and no cold feet.
    I have also worn them in the summer with no hot feet and they really are waterproof.

[​IMG]DSCF0010 by T-W, on Flickr

8. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

They're named after Kuru, Finland. I don't recall why but it's on their website.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The criteria for comfortable shoes are probably some of the world's most objective standards. Every person has different feet and different styles, soles, and insoles will affect different peoples' feet differently.

The best way to find good shoes is to find out as much as possible about your feet.

Do you have flat feet or high arches?
    Do you put more weight on a certain part of your foot?
    Do your feet pronate or supinate?

Get as much information as you can to narrow down your field of possible solutions, then start the trial and error phase.

10. JKirkland

JKirkland Loaded Pockets

I know when I am standing I seem to put all my weight on my heels as compared to all of my foot. and I believe when I walk I tend to step onto the outside portion of my foot, away from my arch i guess. I don't have flat feet, I have a "normal" arch I guess, i wouldn't consider it high. If there is such a thing as a "Normal" arch.

We are provided with gloves, goggles/safety glasses, etc. as needed but we are on our own for clothing. They only stipulate that you have to have closed toed/heel for shoes. Most people wear sneakers and the managers a casual dress shoe.

I asked a few other employees if they had problems and they didn't seem to. Kinda makes me wonder if I just had a shoe that was improper for my foot or I have foot issues. I am leaning more that it was the shoe as I did better wearing my Keen boots (firmer) than my Asic running shoes (more heel cushion than the rest of shoe and pretty flexible). After I get a pair of the low top Keens, if I still have problems, I am going to try some insoles. The local walmart has a Dr. Shols machine that you stand on and it "senses" pressure points and recommends an insole. Kind of expensive but I believe if it helps it will be worth it.

11. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

My reply button does not work for some reason...

Anyway, It is a very common issue. At work all standing work stations have a mat designed to prevent this but I found that when I had 'standard' issue boots I would still have pains on the heel of my foot pretty much every day. When I tried insoles this solved the problem but I would still get pains every couple of days depending on the type of work I was doing that day.

Still then I have moved to using Dewalt hammer boots and since then I have not suffered at all. The dewalts have a lot more cushion which is what I believe solved the problem.

keith1234 likes this.
  12. okto

okto Loaded Pockets

I have the same problem, and what I've learned is this:
    Stretch.

Before and after work, sit on the ground and pull your toes back towards you until you feel it all the way up in your calves. Remember to breathe. Inhale, pull a little tighter as you exhale, until your body tells you you're at the edge. Hold it for a few seconds, release.
    Now stand up, put one foot behind you like a lunge, and stand on the top of your other foot, toes curled under. Slowly put weight on that foot until you feel it all the way up your shin, this is stretching a muscle that runs right between your tibia and fibula. It will hurt; this muscle doesn't get stretched much but it's crucial to standing. Remember, breathe: in, then out as you apply a little more weight.
    If the pain increases suddenly or you feel like you're gonna cramp, back off. Listen to what your body is telling you.

Also, try to move around at work as much as you can. Muscles don't like to stay still. If your position doesn't allow you to walk around much, stretch at your station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azJim and Water-Rat like this.
  13. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

I also wear the red vest, in delivery. Quality running shoes and boots have worked for me. Then again, seems like nothing helps after 7 or 8 hours of running circles around the store, lol.

Good luck in your search and Lowes career.

14. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm a boot guy. I am a firm believer that a proper boot for the task will make any job easier. However, I won't recommend a specific boot because everyone has different needs and preferences within a given application. All I can do is recommend that you try out different stuff and see what works for you.

I love my Thorogood six inch wedge soled plain toe boots (catchier name needed, STAT!). They're very comfortable and the sole is nice and grippy, but absorbs shocks well. However, I haven't put them through their paces yet. I have one event that I'm pretty much on my feet on concrete for two or three days every year, other than that I'm mixed between standing, sitting and walking on various surfaces. Last time I went to the event (which is the proving ground for shoes for me) I wore logger boots that I find VERY comfortable. At the end of the first day I could barely walk. The sole was too dense and hard- good for soft forest floor, bad for concrete. I think these wedge soles will do pretty well.

As far as Bates/Wolverine (same parent company) Durashock... IMHO they aren't that special. What makes them Durashocks, as far as I can tell, is a piece of rubber on the heel of your insole- just a little piece of yellow (IIRC) rubber under your heel. I wore a pair of Bates with Durashock insoles for about a year before needing a new insole, and they were nice boots (especially for the money) but nothing miraculous. Still have them. They're worn out, but they served their role for a nice long time.

15. wilburdee
    • In Omnia Paratus

wilburdee Loaded Pockets

Very informative thread, subbed.
    I've had foot problems of some sort since age 25 which made shopping for comfortable shoes a real
    challenge.
    JKirkland - good luck with your new job & with finding good shoes & thanks for posting here.
    Evil D - just read your Chicane review on Spyderco forum.
    Never heard of Kuru before, but I might just try a pair next time I'm shopping for shoes.
    Thanks for mentioning them.

16. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

No problem man. So far my only issue has just been wearing them out, but I also walk about 15-20 miles a day so they see quite a lot of wear. I could get more wear out of them but after about 6 months I can feel enough difference that I just replace them. Looks are also part of it for me, once they get beat up I need to replace them, I have to dress somewhat professional. I did keep the first pair though and wear them around the yard.

wilburdee likes this.
  17. wilburdee
    • In Omnia Paratus

wilburdee Loaded Pockets

Evil D - you must be psychic, how well they hold up was one of the main things I wanted to know about
    those shoes.
    6 months, with the amount of mileage you're putting on them, seems pretty good to me.
    I wore New Balance 927's for 6 years. Although I bought a new pair every year, they started to look
    beat-up at 7 to 8 months, and I probably put no more than 4 miles per day on them.
    I paid between $100 to $125 for each pair, which is about what the Kurus cost.
    So those Kurus are looking even better to me now.

18. azJim

azJim Loaded Pockets

19. azJim

azJim Loaded Pockets

Regarding PF, I suffered for years, I have an incredible collection of supports and inserts, and have spent a fortune on shoes. The best, absolutely magical remedy was Calf Stretching. An almost immediate relief and cheap too.

20. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Do you mean calf stretching as in literally stretching calf muscles or is that some product? The way you capitalized it I'm not sure lol.