1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Waist packs/fanny packs/bum bags - will their time come again?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tallboyjim, Jul 4, 2020.

1. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

There are a ton of smallish waist packs that you can wear under shirt at reasonable prices. If you're headed to the beach or walking the dog and need additional secure storage that's what I would go with.

My wife has one that I bought from a srret vendor that she loves. Please post what you decide to get.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Tallboyjim likes this.
  2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

This one made me think actually. I’ve got a couple of small pouches which are currently redundant that might do the job, and that also means I’m not spending anything. Didn’t think I’d be the batman-utility-belt guy but I didn’t think I’d be waist pack man either, but these are difficult/unprecedented/challenging/impoverished* times. I’ll have a look.

*Delete as Appropriate.

3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Well the choice has been made. Two choices actually, both financially driven. For covid19 related stuff I’ve dug out a neoprene compact camera case I paid £1 for a few years back (oh how I wish I’d bought more) which can just about fit a buff, hand sanitizer and gloves. It has a snap lock on to clip on a belt. Sadly it can’t be that inconspicuous as it’s neon pink. Sort of tried it out today but just stuffed it in a jacket pocket as it was raining. Again. But it should do a job in warm weather, if we have any again.

Option B was a cheapo pouch about 8” tall that’s been repurposed - there about a million on eBay, probably a maxped clone. Can fit covid19 stuff plus a wingman and a couple of other bits. Can clip on a belt or just carried. Might fit in a cargo pocket. Not tested yet.

4. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Honestly I carry this around religiously. Might not wear it but it’s a convenient solution to not having to carry a million things on my person from house to car and back. Has been with me for about a year now and has held everything from being an oversized FAK to my range bag to my car organizer for all my EDC stuff I’m carrying. Can be whatever I need it to be.
    On duty and in full kit, it sits below my plate carrier on my lower back as an additional IFAK that I can either treat someone’s injuries at initial POI by simply swinging to the front and having in my work space or can be detached and tossed to someone else for use in a mascal scenario where supplies are limited. Super useful and I’m a huge fan. And it’s not oversized so I’m not tempted to just cram :censored: into it. Knife for scale.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlgoOPC, Cynt and Tallboyjim like this.
  5. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I've been seriously considering trying out the Red Oxx Booty Boss. It has a couple ways to carry it so it's not 'ONLY' a fanny pack. Looks to be one of the best thought out and designed ones I've seen. Plus 1000d Cordura. I have several Red Oxx bags, good stuff.

Grizz

Tallboyjim likes this.
  6. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

Just ordered a Red Oxx, I'll try to do a write up and post pics when it comes in.

Grizz

7. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

If you can find one secondary, the Patagonia hip vault is designed to lay flat against the body and is really unnoticeable under a shirt.

Tallboyjim and Fishin Fool like this.
  8. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Will their time come again? I don't think it ever really left, honestly, or you wouldn't be able to find them in production anywhere. I think it depends on the purpose, or as Nutnfancy would say, "philosophy of use."

When I was in college I had a cheap fanny pack that I'd carry my Xbox controller, headset and memory stick in because I'd often spend time gaming at my friends' places (not having a game console myself.) At that time I didn't EDC anything so there was no bag or pack to put it in, and I didn't need (or want) something as large as a backpack just for those few items. So a fanny pack did the job. Did I wear it? Absolutely not, but it was just the right size for the task.

I can see fanny packs, especially larger ones, being useful at amusement parks if there are rides to be ridden and you don't want to leave a backpack unattended, if you simply dont need the capacity a backpack affords.

But as far as EDC use? Again I suppose it depends on your needs. Nutn obviously carries more than he wants to have in just his pockets, and he doesn't want to have a backpack or slingbag on his shoulders all the time (too much bulk, he'd say), so the fanny pack suits his needs perfectly. I would think after a certain age you stop caring what other people think about you and just default to whatever is comfortable for you and does the job.

In short I think fanny/waist packs still have their place, they just have a bit of a stigma around them that prevents people from considering them. Get past the stigma and you might find it's just what you're looking for.

twin63 and Tallboyjim like this.
  9. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Not unlike most of us, having been through the ranks of various packs, I've noticed my system get smaller and smaller as I go. Or maybe, more tiered. Truck bag>office bag>sling bag (EDC)

That EDC bag has been a bunch of things, lately rotating between the Vertx Tourist and Transit.

I found myself wishing for a smallllll pack to basically dump my pockets in, especially when Its a million degrees and I'm chasing my VERY determined 18 month old girl around.

I had long wanted a Hill People Gear kit bag but didn't want the fixed position of chest rig...already have a solution for that.

Recently noticed they released a belt pack version so I snatched one up and I absolutely love it. Perfect aesthetic blend for my taste. Not too Disney. Not too tactical. I've added a SWAT T and some Celox since the picture.

But yeah, I wear it bandoleer style lol.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk