1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Waist packs/fanny packs/bum bags - will their time come again?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tallboyjim, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

As a Brit the mere phrasing of “fanny pack” makes me shiver (google why, then delete your browser history) but they look very handy. I don’t want to sling one over a shoulder like a sling or I’d, wait for it, buy a sling. I want to wear one round my waist.

But I’d look an :censored:, certainly at my age and build. I’m clinging on to my last vestiges of coolness and a bumbag - no matter how useful - will make that disappear.

Have any other forum members embraced it?

PragmaticMurphyist and GRH like this.
  2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

It will be you, Nutnfancy and Joe Rogan. Make what you want from that, but you won't be alone - at least :p

3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

forum sw alters the link - deleted

4. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I actually like to use one as a small sling bag. I do have a couple sling bags, but I find that they are usually bigger than what I need most of the time or the well thought out ones look too tactical for me. I also just find wearing the bag crossbody is more comfortable than around the waist.

Tallboyjim, zyntherius and GRH like this.
  5. GRH

GRH Loaded Pockets

I wear one while riding my bike because I don’t want to lose my wallet and phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tallboyjim and zyntherius like this.
  6. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

a better choice than kanye west.

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Misplaced in a move, but I used to wear a Marmot waist pack bandolier style when I had more than my pockets could accommodate, but didn't want to schlep a pack.

There's something to be said for reaching a point where you're misanthropic enough that you don't give a rat's furry :censored: what other people think.

If you want to retain your "cool" aura, you can always opt for a thigh pouch on one side and a ray-gun on the other side.

Here are some timeless classics to consider.

ATB,
    Sam

Tallboyjim likes this.
  8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I still like fanny packs for certain things where your upper body is moving around like tree climbing, cycling and skiing. I can't see wearing one instead of a shoulder or sling bag for just walking around.

Maybe because of simple construction and the jogging craze, fanny packs became popular. So unless something big comes out of the next Summer Olympics and the sneaker companies, I don't see them anywhere near as popular.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

9. Tallboyjim

That may well be the case for me - I’ve never tried one in practice but I’m reluctant to buy another bag I won’t use because it isn’t comfortable or I look a bit daft. It’s not normally an issue, my pockets normally carry what I need - it’s the extras of hand santaiser, glovers, mask that’s making it awkward.

How is everyone carrying these inconvenient little extras?

10. Tallboyjim

Now I want a ray gun.

11. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I use them I dont give a :censored: but sling bags are the new variant

Tallboyjim likes this.
  12. Jackr

Jackr Loaded Pockets

If you are set on wearing one around your waist and not cross-body, like the new wave of popularity, you can get something like the Peak Design Field Pouch or Helikon-Tex waist pack (comes in two sizes). These bags have slots that you can thread your regular pants/shorts belt through and maintain a more stealth look. I think that is about as low profile you will get.

Jay-uk and Tallboyjim like this.
  13. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

When I use it, I wear mine under an untucked shirt. It is unnoticeable.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  14. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I use something similar to a Maxpedition "Jumbo" 'gear slinger', in my case, a UTG Multi Function messenger bag (no, it's not a messenger or courtier bag, it's smaller than that) There's a slightly loud (watch your volume!) review here:

They're cheaper than Maxpud, and s=do a similar job. I've had mine for something going on four years now, and it's been utterly reliable.

However you decide, have fun, and enjoy :)

Tallboyjim likes this.
  15. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I bought two of these more than 10 years ago. The metal corrodes more easily and the cordlocks are not as nice. The mesh fabric in back isn't quite as durable. I also replaced the zipper pulls with 550 right out of the box.

I have many, many Maxped, Marmot, Camelback, Victorinox, and SpecOps (!) bags along with others but the UTG was well worth the price that I paid.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Tallboyjim and RogerStenning like this.
  16. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Waist pack is very functional, just not if you ever hope to get laid.
    A man must have his priorities.
    (Depending on with whom you associate, if any of your friends asks you about it, tell them you carry your gun in it. Then the bad.:censored: macho factor will outweigh the wussy factor and you'll probably get a pass.)

Tallboyjim likes this.
  17. Tallboyjim

That’s a possibility. I’ve an unsightly paunch that will also help disguise it.

18. Tallboyjim

I have been looking at helikon.

19. Tallboyjim

Trying to avoid a shoulder strap to be honest. I’ve a couple that do an excellent job, but not for this purpose.

RogerStenning likes this.
  20. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Fair enough; you're getting into the realms of several pouches on the belt, then; I currently run three pouches and two clips; a pouch each for a medical spray (GTN, for my heart, that one's a NiteIze "Tool Holster Stretch Universal Holster"), an antibacterial gel bottle (for the current unpleasantness, that one's a Maxpud 4" flashlight pouch), a 5.11 nitrile glove pouch (same reason), a maxpud keyper, and a TheClip belt clip for my Amateur Radio hand held transceiver. There are larger multi-item-capacity belt pouches, but they tend to bulge out and get in the way, or at least, they do for me ;)

Have fun with whatever method you go with :)

Tallboyjim likes this.