1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

vote ---> EDC... folding knives versus fixed blades?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by papacrapas87, Jan 11, 2010.

?

Do you carry fixed blades or folding knives for EDC? + comment on what they are...

1. Only folding knives

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Mostly folding knives

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Equally both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mostly fixed blades

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Only fixed blades

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. papacrapas87

papacrapas87 Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone. Just wondering what everyone EDCs.

Vote on fixed blades versus folding knives + comment on what they are in a post.

Thanks!

2. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I carry some sort of folder every day wherever I go, but if I ever go on a trip I have a fixed blade that goes in the bag with me.

3. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Only folding knives because fixed blades seriously limit the size of knife that can be comfortably carried.

4. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

Folder because it is 'people friendly'. And mine are small.

5. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Folder because my city won't allow fixed blade carry :rant:

6. codewarrior

codewarrior Loaded Pockets

Mostly folders; I appreciate the mechanics involved. :D All the different ways to lock the blades in place. Manual open, assisted open, automatic. Sometimes, I just like to open and close them for the feel. A good fixed blade is useful and I appreciate it also, but somehow it just doesn't satisfy like a solid folder.

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I love fixed blades... there are a lot of great fixed designs out there simply because the blade isn't constrained by the size and shape of the handle... however, I find them annoying to carry so I don't carry them all the time..

I too enjoy folders due to the action, and I like that they are really easy and fast to stow safely.

8. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

'f I had my druthers...fixed blade. But living in an urban environment the folder trumps fixed blade. Have many examples of both in all sizes. However the Fallkniven WM1 3G comes awful close to trumping folders. The Benchmade Activator is practically the same size as many folders but falls short in the grip length. Default decision is any Axis lock folder. And thank you Spyderco forever and ever for the clip! (Holy moment of worship for that which made all true pocket EDC possible with folders, THE most important evolution of truly USEFUL carry hands down PERIOD!)

9. hungry hunter

hungry hunter Loaded Pockets

I carry both just about equally. There's always a small fixed blade (Ranger little bird) in my front pocket in a homemade kydex sheath and ususally a larger folder in another pocket. Sometimes a larger fixed blade takes the place of the folder.

The folders I carry most are my CRKT M1 and Benchmade Osbourne.

It all depends on wht I'm wearing or what I plan on doing (or think I might end up doing) on that particular day. But the little fixed blade is always with me.

10. maxmadco

maxmadco Loaded Pockets

I only carry fixed blades and those that I have made myself. Carried folders but they do not impress me.

11. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I carry folders almost exclusively. I like the idea of FBs but I think they're unwieldy for urban EDC.

I notice that I tend to gravitate toward narrow, thin, fairly short folders because they carry best in a pants pocket
    along with other items and don't get in the way.

If I were a Mountain Man it would be nice to carry a sturdy FB on my belt. But not in an urban environment.

12. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

Folders are definitely easier to carry, but I do occasionally carry a small fixed blade, whether on the neck or in the pocket.

13. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

At work I carry a folder because it's smaller and easier to conceal. Thanks to the TEC P-7 clip I'm carrying a SAK these days. Back to square one, you could say, but this time with a pocket clip!

When I'm not at work, I usually carry a small fixed blade (one or the other of my Barkies).

14. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Mostly folders as that is what I have. Thinking of a small fixed blade. Dad always carried a small Browning FB on his belt.

15. papacrapas87

papacrapas87 Loaded Pockets

Mostly folding knives, but I've been carrying a FB everyday also for a few months.

Everyday:
    Spydie Ladybug on keys
    BRKT Little Creek in pocket sheath

Changes once every few days:
    Some other folder... usually some Spydie, but recently a BM Mini Grip

16. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Folders work best for me as EDC, although I probably use a fixed blade as much or more than the others.
    That's for projects needing stuff cut, such as yard work, which I do often but not in my everyday routine. For EDC, folders are convenient and up for any cutting task I find while out and about.

17. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

I carry almost all folding knives...but I do carry one fixed blade. I have a Titanium Hide Away Knife on a chain around my neck. I practically forget that it's there. Otherwise though, folders are just so much simpler to carry in any sort of urban environment.

Tim

18. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Spydy Cricket one handed open and close. With fixed blade carry its fast out but not as fast in. Which is how it should be. So I voted folder only.

19. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I only edc folding knives. LEO's look alot more friendly to them around here than fixed blades. A fixed blade will almost surely get you arrested. But when I am in the woods I only carry a fixed blade and sometimes have my buck 110 also.

20. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I like folding knives a lot more, so I only carry folding knives.A simple one with a nail nick and an automatic one.