1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Visibility - rant and question

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Blackheart, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I swear, one of these days I'm going to kill somebody. Not intentionally, of course.

Ever since the switch back to standard time, I've noticed people apparently going about their daily routine, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it's now dark when it used to be light. TWICE last night, driving to/from the grocery store, I encountered people crossing the street in the middle of the block (where one is not expecting people to be crossing the street) and both were taking their time just assuming, I guess, that I saw them and was going to slow down or stop and wait for them. Mighty big assumption as they were both dressed in all dark colored clothing and they weren't exactly under a street light.

The previous afternoon, I'm driving down this winding street through a residential neighborhood and I see this small, red light on the side of the road, seemingly not moving. Someone backing out of their driveway? I have no idea, just new I'd better keep on eye on that red light to see what it does. Turns out, as I passed, it was a older guy on a bicycle peddling very slowly. Kudos for him for having a headlight and taillight, but there was nothing else to indicate there was a guy on a bike. No reflectors, and again, all dark clothing.

Also that afternoon, I was stopped at an intersection waiting to make a right turn onto the main drag. There's another vehicle waiting to make a left turn onto the street I was on. To my right, there's a guy out for a run on the sidewalk and heading for the intersection. He runs right into the intersection just as the vehicle making the left turn has a chance to go. The driver did manage to stop in time, but with the runner sprawled over the hood of the car (unharmed, he went back to running). Again, runner was wearing, you guessed it, all dark clothing.

Sooo... Here's the question part. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Titanium Innovations High Viz Reflective Safety Belt

[​IMG]

Are they any good? Linked site has them on sale for $2. I swear, I feel like buying a bunch and just handing them out to people. "Here. You wanna' live? Put this on."

This outfit has a cool name and interesting selection of products: DontGetHit.com

Replete, night_shift, Sonorum and 3 others like this.
  2. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

No experience with them, but sounds like a great idea to me. Where I live it's exacerbated by the fact that pedestrians have the right of way. "I had the right of way" is small consolation when you're dead because you didn't look before crossing.

3. Blackheart

Yeah, the runner, after he backed off the hood of the car, waved his apologies to the driver for running into the intersection. Technically, he was a pedestrian and had the right of way. It was up to the driver making the left turn to check for pedestrians, but I couldn't really blame the driver for not seeing him.

4. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

As a former avid cyclist i would see this naive or cavalier attitude alot. I pay attention to how visible a cyclist looks when i pass them on the road. Often they wear all black kit with no lights or reflectors.

Pedestrians and cyclist assume people are looking for them when theyre not. Even in the daytime when a person/cyclist is under shaded areas and the sun is in your eyes they can be difficult if not impossible to see.

Those types of belts you posted are pretty much your generic Army PT belts. When car headlights shine on them they look like light sabers! Impressively bright and visible. I use either one of those or a nathan reflective belt when running.

The reflective belts/materials are more effective to let cars know youre around than blinking lights IMO.

Tom A Hawk and Blackheart like this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

BIG HUGE "LIKE" for this thread!!
    Was nearly run over last night during my run. Stopped at an intersection. I blasted the driver about to turn right with 600 lumens from my Surefire flashlight.

Blackheart likes this.
  6. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

These are sold in the military clothing sales at most air force bases and are required to be worn when on the flightline. Also, the last time I was in the desert, we were required to wear them after sundown. Some wear them as a regular belt style, while others wear them bandoleer style. I used to collect different colors, they also come in blue and green. They are decent, but no substitute for a full reflective vest of course.

VSchep01 and Blackheart like this.
  7. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Lol. I thought you were going to say you ended up on the hood of the car!

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

VSchep01 likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Almost! What a knucklehead. She wasn't even aware of me standing there with a reflective vest with flashing LEDs.

9. Blackheart

Interesting. I'd never seen anyone wearing one of these belts and didn't know they were commonly used by some people. I'm going to get at least one for myself when I'm the chucklehead walking around after dark. I do keep a reflective vest in my truck, but it looks like one of these belts would be easy enough to EDC.

Thanks!

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The problem with reflective material is that a light source is required. During dusk when most motorists have not yet turned-on their headlights, the reflective material is USELESS. I wear the powerful red lights on my vest that I also use on my bicycle. These lights are even brighter than those on vehicle tail lights.

Motorists are not as readily cognizant of pedestrians, runners, & cyclists as they are of other motorists because we have become a sedentary society more frequently traveling on privately-owned vehicles.

Replete, kikaida and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

The belts are required on military installations for mil personnel so thats where i got into the habit of wearing one. Im probably the only one in my neighborhood that wears one while running at night. I currently wear a Nathan running belt/waist pack. It has a pouch for keys and reflective areas all over.
    3M makes reflective shoestrings for athletic shoes that Im gonna give a go.

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

All of the varied suggestions are good, as far as they go. I've been on a campaign for some time now that car emergency kits should always have a reflective vest.

For cyclists, walkers, runners. I think the belts are a good initial step but not sufficient. It's been a long time since I could honestly say I was a cyclist. Back in dinosaur times -- college -- was the last time I guess. Most of us made a point of having reflectors that moved. Certainly mass market bikes have them on the spokes; also usually on the peddles. Cyclists and walkers I think would also help themselves a lot with reflective arm or leg bands of some sort. Point of all this is that the moving reflected light is more likely to be noticed.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Here in Norway, you are required by law to keep at least one reflective vest in your car, easily accessible from the driver's position. If you have to make an emergency stop on the road or on the shoulder, you are required to put on the vest before leaving the vehicle.

Blackheart, TKC and 0dBm like this.
  14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@sun game: 2 thumbs up for Norway!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

I share your frustration. Last person I almost hit was wearing all dark clothing jogging in the street with a baby stroller. A clear sidewalk but they had to run in the road. Lucky there was a chrome vertical on the stroller. I notice more people wearing construction lime and orange clothing and more motorcyclists with reflective belts on backpack or with reflective jackets, most likely due the the military bases in the area. Personally, I keep a reflective Vest in the car and have put one into most of my backpacks. Just ordered some reflective belts as well. Keep in mind, when I went to the police academy for a class on traffic direction, they emphasized keep looking around and be prepared to run in a safe direction especially since police cars with lights flashing get hit all the time.

trfkcop and Blackheart like this.
  16. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

This thread has reminded me, I need to get another reflector for on my motorbike.
    I wear a reflective vest but I usually have a backpack on which obscures it from the back. On my previous backpack I had velcro that I could attack some reflective material to but I haven't got round to mounting some on this one.

Blackheart likes this.
  17. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

For backpacks I think the reflective PT belts are best as they wrap around the entire pack. During any sort of on base drill or exercise you'd better have your pt belt on your ruck or some CSM is gonna pop out of a bush to yell at you.

Also, Ive found that the lower the reflective material the more likely low-beam car lights will shine on them. This thread reminded me to order the reflective shoe strings for my running shoes.

Blackheart likes this.
  18. Blackheart

DON'T get me started...

In my neighborhood. it has become fashionable among some people to walk in the street (we HAVE perfectly good sidewalks). The only reason I can see to run in the street is to avoid tangling (figuratively and literally) with the dog-walkers. Winter's different, sometimes the streets are plowed before people get out there and clear their sidewalks.

Oh, and...

The military has an impressive ability to generally influence behavior (at least in the U.S.). Huge employer, strict rules, attracts people at the still somewhat impressionable age of 18 or so... [shrug].

Last edited by Blackheart, Nov 27, 2016
  19. Blackheart

Motorcycling is what made me acutely aware of both daytime and nighttime visibility.

20. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

+1 on anything you can do, but I have seen Police cars in full reflective markings with emergency lights activated get PLOWED!! This was PRIOR to everyone having cellular phones. It just gets worse now that cellular phones are the rule instead of the exception...