1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Viper VX Vortex Review

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tallboyjim, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm doing this on tapatalk on a phone so bear with me.

I needed (wanted) a small rucksack for EDC use. This looked like it would do the job and to a degree it has. It's 15l so not too big. The back is nicely ventilated and the straps well padded with a sort of felt finish. So far so good. Straps adjusters can be secured with little elastic loops a la first tactical. Chest strap can be removed (I removed mine). Bit of molle on the side.

Admin. There isn't any, in so much there's no pen slits or anything, only pockets. But that's ok, just don't expect any.

There are 4 in total. The large one has a chunky zip and a laptop compartment. I've shown it with a tablet, it might take a 13" mac, doubt it would take any thing bigger. The second biggest (the top one on the fronnt) is quite deep (about 9") and isn't, despite what I thought, a sunglasses comparltment. Zip isn't very chunky at all - we'll see how they last, but double layer fabric.

The next two frankly are a bit half arsed. They are pockets (about 5” deep), but made of the thin stretchy material you'd expect a bottle holder to be made from which I didn't expect. Useful for big items so it will stretch or cost cutting? Not sure. Zip looks small again.

Bottle pocket using the same stretchy material but doesn't stretch sufficiently to put my contigo mug. Things are getting a little worse.

Overall it's not bad for £45. I can live with the lack of pen slits but those pockets on the front concern me a bit, as do the zips. That bottle will need attention.

Now, some badly taken pictures. Comments welcome![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#1 Tallboyjim, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    GoBliNuke, Mammoth, twin63 and 2 others like this.
  2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks for the review, I assumed that that bottle pouch would have swallowed more of that bottle, shame.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

The perspective might play some optical trickery here, but it looks like you are trying to fit a 5L mug in the bottle holder of a 15L bag.
    It's probably not as bad IRL, but the fact remains, small bags are for small things.

Not knowing much about this brand, or EDC oriented backpack brands in general, I think you would have been just as well served by something from a reputable outdoor brand in this price range.

4. Tallboyjim

Optical trickery (not on purpose I should add). It’s a contigo which takes a whopping 470ml - I’m not asking it to take a 1l nalgene - which, funnily enough - does fit in some bags of similar size I looked at as I’ve seen the pictures. It happily took a 500ml coke bottle though. Some of the outdoor brands I tried had really horrible, thin straps (osprey were a big let down for me on this).

It’s probably easily fixable, the top collar seems to be sewn a bit too small compared with the rest of it.

5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

There's a video of this bag now, I can't understand a word he says though.:)

Tallboyjim likes this.
  6. Tallboyjim

As soon as I saw you post my initial thought was “I wish I’d seen that before I bought it” but it didn’t tell me - visually anyway - anything I didn’t already know, or thought I knew. I’d have certainly thought my contigo would have fitted there isn’t much in it size wise. Manufacturing error maybe?

He might have said those two pockets were thin stretchy pockets, but I didn’t understand him.

7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

You certainly can't beat going to a store and examining a bag yourself, any review or video is only going to tell you so much I guess. Viper do seem to like using that spandex material through their range, the Express bag that I've just bought does use it for the two side pockets/water bottle holders, I didn't really notice that whilst in the shop funny enough, too busy checking out if my bottles would actually fit in them. Lol
    I prefer to keep a bottle inside a bag so I doubt that I'll use them for that, could be handy to store a map or other slim/small items so maybe it's a better material than netting that most other bags have??

Tallboyjim likes this.