1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Viper Headwear "Diamondback" Tac Hat

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Macgirl, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

I've been waiting for years for GORUCK to come out with a smaller version of their TAC hat and it has yet to make an appearance, so in the mean time I have been searching and searching until stumbling upon a forum where someone mentioned Viper Headwear. I googled them and found their website where I learned that they manufacture American-made TAC hats and are a USAF veteran owned business. Needless to say they have fitted caps constructed of USA-made Cotton/Poly ripstop fabric in Mulitcam, Coyote, Black, Olive, and Desert Digital plus you can specify with or without velcro loop for front, back and/or top at no additional cost. Their in-stock sizes range from size 7 - size 8 but you can order custom sizes if you need smaller or larger; I ordered an in-stock 6 5/8 Mulitcam hat from their clearance page (older style with different color headband and stitching than current model) on Monday and got it on Saturday. Top quality hat with relatively straight stitching and only 1 tiny flyway thread on one of the vent holes. Can't report yet on the durability but it's cotton/poly ripstop like Boonie hats so they should be tough enough for what I intend to use it for, range and yard work. I can post some photos but their website has pretty much everything there is to see.

I think the GORUCK ripstop hat differs in that it has the Velcro loop on the underside of the bill. The Viper is just a regular cap bill with the same fabric as the hat on the underside. They cost roughly the same give or take a couple of dollars but you get a bit more customization with Viper. There's also the Cobra which is more structured and then coming soon the Adder which will have mesh side panels.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase since it lived up to all the specifics I was looking for. I intend on making another purchase for different colors for myself and maybe a hat for my husband in his size. My hat didn't have any velcro sewn on but they did supply it for me to sew on myself, but I'm kind of liking it w/o at the moment. Fits and feels great under ear protection. Seems true to size but maybe a tad bigger so if you're between sizes size down.

Last edited by Macgirl, Mar 23, 2014
    powerring likes this.
  2. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

A few photos:
    [​IMG]
    Included velcro loop for DIY and subdued flag patch I bought from Gasden and Culpepper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grinch, DESTRO, Nighted and 3 others like this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Looks good. I'm gonna check them out. Thanks!

Nighted likes this.
  4. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

I've got to figure out how big my melon is and get a couple of these. Have been on my radar for a while now. FWIW, a review I read somewhere else said that they tend to run a little SMALL and recommended going up 1/8", so it sounds like the sizing could be a bit off in either direction. Maybe has to do with measuring technique?

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  5. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

I bet measuring technique does play a big part in sizing discrepancies. They do say you can exchange it if sizing isn't right but I'm sure it would be on your dime.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for the review. (òÓ,)_\,,/

Macgirl likes this.
  7. mrwilmoth

mrwilmoth Loaded Pockets

Nice, I'm sold! Thanks

Macgirl likes this.