1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

View of teenagers?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Prometheus_9, Jan 6, 2015.

1. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Was it this way fifteen years ago? I don't remember any of the crap you guys are complaining about.

A couple friends and I usually had knives in high school. They were banned, but generally no one cared.

How hard is it to just not stab anybody?

Cobra 6 Actual and Gilatabar like this.
  2. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

/thread ding ding ding etc.

3. scski44

scski44 Loaded Pockets

In my opinion it's not age that matters. Its maturity and how someone acts that determines what I think of them. I have been around knives since my cub scout days, and I have been regularly carrying a knife since I was 14 (Not that it makes me an expert in the subject lol). If someone acts maturely, knows how to use the knife, and considers the knife a tool (not a weapon) then I have no problem with that person having a knife on their person.

Though even if I did have a problem with it, it's not like I can do anything about it.

-Spens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

coming from someone who 29 and has had a pocket knife in his pocket since he was 5 (not joking or exaggerating) growing up in white suburbia. I didn't then nor know trust the majority of teens or adults, for that matter, with most knives or tools. But there are those few exceptions, such as the op and a couple other teens on here that seem to have their heads put on straight and was taught at a young age on proper use, it's an individual bases. Now using a lock back in the post office will get you looks no matter what your age or where you're at in public, the sheaple just don't understand.

5. Kyle Davis

Kyle Davis Guest

Interesting thread. Being 19, I've been edcing since the triple pat. (Phone, wallet, keys) but after I became Eagle Scout. Being prepared became more of a necessity. You never know when you'll need a knife. My flashlight (fenix pd35) came in handy to continue a important lesson in class when out lights weren't working. Just shined it on the ceiling and wowed everyone.

I can attest to doing some stupid things as a teen lol but you hopefully learn from those mistakes so when your an adult you bettered mannered. The current gen I see is way less prepared for everything. See the current popular tendes and fads.

6. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've carried a pocket knife since I was in the Cub Scouts. I carried one all through school, but there also were not rules against doing so. Tools and flashlights are just tools, they've just gotten better over the years so I don't see an issue.
    Teens in general.......they make me fear for the future of mankind, but I suppose my elders said the same thing about my generation.

PilotCPS, Cobra 6 Actual and aerosxl like this.
  7. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

i am happy when i see teens being responsible and prepared. I didn't figure out how to do that until my late 20s.

8. Gr3G

Gr3G Loaded Pockets

As long as there not an idiot about the gear they carry I don't really care, and in general of you just carry yourself in a mature manor I'm fine with you. Me personally I've never been in a situation were carrying knife was unacceptable growing up in rural Kansas and now being a United States Marine carrying gear is just a way of life.

9. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

I think that ALL children (at about the age of 7 ideally) should be taught the correct use of knives and other blades (saws, axes etc.). Too many children think knife=psycho (and that pyscho=bad guy which isn't necessarily true). I left the Uk scout association following a camp where I took a knife I had made myself, proudly showed it off, and promptly had it quietly confiscated. The organisers of the camp then threatened to call the police, and lectured me to the effect that scouts do not take knives on camp sunless asked, and when they do, (wait for it...) the knives in question are often BLUNT. it took a lot of control not to swear in his face, but a scout is always patient and kind. I think its things like that which really lower society's View of anything with a blade. I think I shall write to bear grylls...

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

https://www.youtube.com/user/edcisaac

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
    drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
    there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
    and drinking largely sobers us again.

10. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I don't judge people based on their age, but on how they act.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jan 12, 2015
  11. Kyle Davis

Kyle Davis Guest

A scout..... Should know when he is right and be able to prove his point. That's what I said when at my eagle board of review when I wanted to add somthing to the scout law.

12. Mr. Gadget

Mr. Gadget Loaded Pockets

I carry a spyderco delica, leatherman, Keychain leatherman, and flashlight daily when I'm not in school. I've used the LM and Knife in the post office many times and in other stores (helped a custodian at the grocery story cut the paper for the receipt machine cuz it wouldn't feed) I haven't had many weird looks or anything and nobody has ever said anything. I carry my flashlight to school and use it all the time (find something in my locker or backpack) nobody has ever said a word.

From the pockets of a 17 year old prepper.

13. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

bpa - I don't need a 4" knife. 1 of the traditionals I posted above could easily handle all of my tasks. But I enjoy modern folding knives, so they are carried.
    [/quote]

I try to tailor my EDC to the environment. I have one item that I carry for sentimental reasons - a Proto keyring screwdriver that I have carried since high school. I probably don't need it, except for the occasional staple. Whatever floats yer boat. :rolleyes:

14. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Sounds interesting. I have several pocket scissors, and am always interested in other designs. What would this design accomplish that the Gerber pocket scissors or Coghlans don't?

Cobra 6 Actual and Isaac_Reid like this.
  15. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

Your an eagle scout? Wow, that's a real achievement! Good on ya!

I only wish that the Scots lover here in the UK would gat third act together a bit and start to [em]care[/em]

16. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I don't have any teenagers but from the ones I see walking up and down my street they don't need to have anything that can be used as a weapon. Kids today don't have any respect for anyone or anyone's property. When I was a kid I never thought about doing stupid stuff and ruining someone else's property. I'm 26 and I don't know why the next generation is so stupid and disrespectful. So my answer is no EDC items at all for them.

Monocrom and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  17. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I'm just kind of going for a more stream-lined, modern practical design. Knives went from slip joint and lock back with wood and brass to all these G10, Carbon fiber, Titanium things with fancy alloyed steels. Not a ton has happened with scissors, especially in the EDC world. The Gerber and Coghlan's stuff are more multi-tool than just scissors as well.

18. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm fairly certain that older generations have been saying very similar things about younger generations for as long as there have actually been generations.

19. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Hahaha yeah I know I just don't know why. But my generation is a bunch of idiots also

20. Kyle Davis

Kyle Davis Guest

Thank you, I'm now president of my venturing crew. Regardless if your in scouts or not, someone should teach you right from wrong.

Isaac_Reid and Cobra 6 Actual like this.