1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

View of teenagers?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Prometheus_9, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

Seriously, Just buy a Victorinox Cadet and use that for all work within the public eye. A 4 inch knife is a huge knife, regardless of the age of the user, especially in a post office.

Of course I think you should be allowed to carry such a thing, but the average person would not understand. The point is, even if you were 28, that is a big knife and not the best place to be using it.

ManVsLawn, Stutz, c99camper and 2 others like this.
  2. Prometheus_9

Prometheus_9 Loaded Pockets

Totally fair. The majority of my rotation (modern) are fairly people friendy kershaws, a blur, a ram, a groove, a ZT0801, nothing overly large or threatening. The other half being slip-joints. That recon is by no means a norm for me. Sorry for the sloppy photo, my room doesn't have great lighting. :eek:

[​IMG]

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

Good Looking traditional knives. I tend to try to avoid the post office but today I used the knife on my Style CS at the post office instead of my ZT0560. I don't know how to describe it, but the other patrons there always seem to not have boundaries and are rude. There are NEVER any pens there, and some guy pretty much took my own Caran D'Ache 849 pen out of my hand the second I finished my shipping label. 2d time in a row this happened to me.

4. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Knives are tools, as are flashlights. If people (whatever age) can't be trusted with these, they shouldn't use pliers, screwdrivers or hammers.
    The problem IMO (I haven't been a teenager for decades and my children are grown) is impulsiveness.
    Why do you need a 4" knife anyway? Would a small SAK meet your needs? I carry a pocketknife (Boeker keycomm), but it is the least used item on my keychain.

5. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

The USPS is not privately owned, it is a government corporation. The CEO is the Postmaster General, and the Board of Directors are the Congress of the United States, and pulling a knife longer than 2-1/2" in a post office can land you in the pokey.

Which is why I use a private mail store :D

6. Prometheus_9

Prometheus_9 Loaded Pockets

Domain - I can't really avoid the post office, all of my mail goes to a PO box. The whole southern curtesy thing is hit or miss, but the people at my post office are always overly nice...maybe that's just because they have an abundant supply of pens. :D

bpa - I don't need a 4" knife. 1 of the traditionals I posted above could easily handle all of my tasks. But I enjoy modern folding knives, so they are carried.

kd7dvd - Jeez, you are right! I meant to say United Parcel Service :eek:

Last edited by Prometheus_9, Jan 7, 2015
    kd7dvd and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I'm working on this idea I had for modern scissors. They haven't evolved the way knives have. The best we've got is EMT shears. I'm thinking hex pivot, bronze phosphor washers, G10 screw-on scales to mod, pocket clip, potential kydex sheath for pocket/belt/neck carry. Nobody's scared of scissors.

Isaac_Reid, Stutz and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I have four daughters, all but the 7 month old have EDC items. 2 year-old has a toy SAK, but a real flashlight. My 10 year-old has a couple knives and a light, also a FAK. She also wants a Leatherman Leap and has had a rifle for 2 years. My 17 year-old has her own knife and flashlight and her boyfriend is a scout usually with a knife, light and a Leatherman.

I started carrying a knife every day at around 11. Flashlight came shortly thereafter. Nothing wrong with teens having EDC items, they just need to have been taught how to be responsible. We need to punish irresponsibility, not be afraid of tools and bringing everyone down to the lowest common denominator.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A bit optimistic. Some would freak out at the sight of a Cadet. One of my few knives that gets zero attention in public is my little 2-inch bladed Gerber LST.

10. horgerg

horgerg Loaded Pockets

I always have a Mini-Grip on me, and I use it if the task requires it. For some reason if I need to open an envelope in the middle of a post office, I instinctively reach for the SAK Classic on my keychain, the Mini-Grip stays in the pocket. Right tool for the right job.

To be fair, I don't remember if I did the same when I was a teen, it was quite a long time ago.

c99camper and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

I hate teenagers and everything they stand for.

12. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

It's impossible to generalise. Some teenagers demonstrate maturity beyond their years, some will never become what past generations referred to as an adult.
    In the UK, a large numbers of people just aren't growing up. Partly to blame are their parents, who often dress and behave like teenagers themselves, thus teenagers have no role model.
    Age alone isn't necessarily an excuse for not thinking through the possible negative reaction to a large blade in a public place.
    During the Battle of Britain many of the fighter pilots were teenagers, at 24 my father was in command of 50 airmen. Fast forward 75 years and imagine how today's generation would cope.

13. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

On that note, I usually just open an envelope with my hands. I simply tear off one of the short ends instead of trying to open it from the top. If you're scared of ripping the contents, well, it's almost never an issue but you can tap it on a hard surface to shift the contents to one side first. :)

Cobra 6 Actual and c99camper like this.
  14. horgerg

horgerg Loaded Pockets

I NEVER do that. Maybe I'm too much of a neatfreak. :)

Cobra 6 Actual and Gilatabar like this.
  15. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

A cleanly cut envelope is beautiful :rolleyes:

16. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Take a look at good (~$50+) sewing and kitchens shears. They're using the same midlevel alloys, that you find on knives. The seamstresses and taylors are usually more reticent about lending them out then knife-knuts are with their good blades. EMT shears (typically 304 or 317 stainless) are a bad joke compared to them.

17. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't have a problem at all with teens using knives, lights, etc. as tools in a responsible manner. Frankly, preparation demonstrates maturity to me. Plus then they won't ask to borrow mine so much. :D

I plan on giving my grandson his own knife when he shows me he can take care of things and respect the tool. Part of that is knowing where and when to use it along with how. He's only 5 now, so he has a ways to go.

In this specific case, perhaps the big blade wasn't the best choice for general public use. You may as well open the letter with a butcher knife for the same effect. The better part of valor here may be to use those awesome-looking traditionals around John Q. Public and save the big "Pig Stickers" for the camping, hiking, and hunting trips where something that size is really needed.

18. cayden.brown.12

cayden.brown.12 Empty Pockets

Im 14 and am taking my high school entrance exam tomorrow, I've got to say most kids in my grade can't be trusted with a plastic knife (I'm not joking our cafeteria staff took away our plastic kniges because people were stabbing food, and each other, only untill the got in more trouble than they could handle.) I would only trust my 2 friends with a knife and thats because they know safety.

19. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

20. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

As a teenager, I've seen and heard more than my fair share of idiotic behaviour from people my age. Having said that, I know a load of people I'd gladly lend a knife or tool to, safe in the knowledge that they wouldn't end up shanking themselves or others with it. I don't think it's fair to say that all teenagers are immature and unpredictable, because not all adults are models of responsibility either. It depends on the person.

PilotCPS, bpa, Cobra 6 Actual and 2 others like this.