1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Victorinox vs CRKT - The rust test

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Aloxfox, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Aloxfox

Aloxfox Loaded Pockets

I use my work knives very intensively. They have daily contact with saltwater, sand and cut a lot of cardboard, plastic etc. Occasionally I rinse the knife with fresh water, dry it and oil as needed.
    I know, these are not good conditions for a knife. My Victorinox Farmer has endured this for over four years and now looks like this: never a trace of rust.

[​IMG]

For two weeks now I use a CRKT drifter. Rust quickly formed on the blade, which was easy to remove, but not inside the knife. That's why I screwed it up today.
    Well, what can I say? After only two weeks, compared to over four years with the Vic. Farmer, which costs a similar amount of money ... The Drifter will not survive four years as a work knife with me.
    I'm disappointed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And after cleaning:
    [​IMG]

#1 Aloxfox, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for sharing. I love my SAKs and have been pleased with how they holdup.

I can understand the disappointment in the CRKT. Good blade steel is great, as long as the other parts are also good.

A.B. likes this.
  3. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I own an red Farmer with old cross, probably from the 90s. Looks as used as OP's.

I once lost it and was outside from october until early march next year in snow and buried in mud. Then I found it again! Not a single spot of rust. Cleaned, oiled.. snappy as new.

The Farmer is hands down my favourite knife ever, especially that one.

garza and A.B. like this.
  4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

One or another Vic SwissChamps has been on my belt for the last thirty years. I think I'm on my third - the two previous one were lent to others, badly abused, and subsequently replaced. (I'm a slow learner!)

I've never ever seen a spot of rust on any of my Vics. No experience with CRKT.

5. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Wow! Thanks for the review. I was giving serious consideration to the Drifter, but I think I'll go with the Ka-Bar Dozier now

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I am not surprised. Victorinox uses more stainless material all around where CRKT in mainly just the blade.
    What you can compare your Vic to should be a Spyderco Salt series one.
    The Salt will last for ever in your environment.
    As for me, all my CRKT's will last forever as I live a long long ways from salt water. (Southwest Desert of Arizona).
    But a great comparison. It goes to show we should look at the entire knife, not just "blade steel".

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

The Dozier is a great little knife. I have one -- the version with the thumb hole rather than the thumb studs. Just a great pocket knife and a hell of a deal in both $ and weight!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Wishoot and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  8. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

One problem could be that CRKT (and Kershaw) love to bead blast their blades and other metal parts.
    That gives a nice satin finish but it leaves you with a broken up surface.
    Even "stainless" steels like their favourite 8Cr13MoV will get spots and surface rust very quickly.
    If you like the Drifter you could go on and buff all the parts, including the blade.
    A polished surface is much less likely to rust.
    If you don't like the look you could etch it with ferric chloride and stonewash it afterwards.
    Even if you use a scotchpad to give it a handrubbed finish it won't rust as quickly as the blasted one.

If all that's not your cup of tea - get another Victorinox.

Greetings from Switzerland
    Endre

And no, I'm not working for or with Victorinox and I only own one that I've found (it had swollen aluminum parts but it's in working condition after a spa treatment) and one that I was gifted (the watchmaker's knife, very useful for tinkering and repairing toys for the kids).

Lateck, Moshe ben David and Wishoot like this.
  9. Aloxfox

Aloxfox Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reactions guys. I knew that Victorinox are almost rust-free. I also know that salt is really bad for knives, I think under normal conditions the CRKT Drifter does not rust like that. At work I need a knife that I use really hard and hard The difference between these two knives under these conditions is really extreme!

I am fascinated by durable objects. Things that can accompany you through the whole life, maybe even be inherited. So our EDC pieces get a story, a soul. My CRKT Drifter does not have this potential in my eyes.

MatBlack likes this.
  10. Mikhail Weiss

Mikhail Weiss Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I have a CRKT Batum that I use for yard work. After an afternoon slicing open bags of muddy topsoil I finished up for the day, washed off the mud, and saw a bunch of itty bitty rust spots on the blade. Apparently, 8Cr13MoV steel isn't as rust resistant as I had hoped, and I live far from the coast.

11. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

I second the Spyderco Salt recommendation. Surgical stainless is durable, but not as tough as other steel types. Most pocket knives will take more abuse, but not resist rust like that Vic. The Salt series is made to be in both worlds and would serve you well. Or just get another Vic as has been suggested, lol.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

It's hard to beat a Vic sak.