1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Victorinox swisstool spirit disappointment.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by baja820, Feb 8, 2014.

1. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

get a wave or a surge. I've never been disappointed by a leatherman multitools.

2. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

my spirit is perfectly aligned with no play. May have been used as a prybar...

3. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I did, however your experience hasn't been the norm for me. I have four Spirits and they've had the best fit and finish of all of my multis by a mile. You got an oddball and I hope Victorinox will take care of it for you.

SAKplumber likes this.
  4. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine has no play when opened. It is not perfet aligned, but I guess it's about 2mm so no big deal to me. I have used it pretty rough. Torqued it, pryed with it, but still going strong.. If it starts to bother me I remember myself that it's a tool, not some kind of jewelry..

5. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

Here's my own Spirit I picked up about a month ago. I am as equally disappointed, shocked in fact to have such noticeable misalignment.

@Baja What did you end up doing with yours? Did you contact Victorinox?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

This thread got me looking at both of my Spirits. They both have a slight misalignment and it's in the same direction as Baja's and Dork's. Both of mine are not as pronounced as in those two pictures.

Both of mine, in the deployed position but with the pliers closed, the handles will move 1/8" on one and 3/16" on the other one. What I'm doing is pinching the pliers closed, pushing the handles open and closed and then measuring the difference like Baja does in his first two pics. I am a bit confused when you say there is about 2cm of play in the open position. It looks more like 0.5cm in your 2 pics.

Now the question is, what is causing it, does it affect useability and what level of quality are we expecting from these particular tools? I don't know why it does it. Maybe it's tolerances in the material used or how they're put together that affects the outcome of the tool but for me it doesn't affect me being able to use them. As far as expectations. These tools did cost more than my Wave but less than my TTi and the funny thing is, the TTi is the worst one to use. I only keep it for collectibility sake and never use it. The Wave is an excellent tool but I just feel like using the Spirits at this time. The Spirits I own I'm satisfied with the quality. Could it be better? Yes, but mine are not as 'off' as Baja's and Dork's. If mine were then maybe my expectations would be different.

7. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I have had two spirit tools, I don't remember noticing miss alignment on the first one, but the second one has it (doesn't bother me at all). Neither of them has had even a tiny bit of play (that would drive me nuts).

8. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

I haven't contacted Victorinox.... I'm just gonna live with it for a while.

9. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

I wrote Victorinox yesterday. I'll post again when I get a reply.

To be clear, my misalignment doesn't affect use and only niggles me because my other four MTs (Leathermen!) don't suffer the same aesthetic fate. Factor in that the Spirit is heavy and bulky, like a tank on the highway, and I am loathe to recommend it, regardless of the slick sheen that seems to impress the majority of owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hope they work it out for you.

I've never had that issue, but then I've only had 4 different Spirits in my hands. 3 were mine. Even after doing this to it...:blink: (notice the twist in the last pic)

11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

SAKplumber, you sure are giving that MT an hard life. LOL

Realistically I don't think that you can expect to use any multi pivoted tool like that and get away without doing any damage, the attachments were not really designed to take a lot of torque in that position especially.

12. trakcon

trakcon Empty Pockets

dork, I know this was a long time ago, but how did Vic respond to you. I just received a Spirit X today and it has the same misalignment.

Thanks.

13. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

My Spirit showed some misalignment when new. Once they've had some use one tends to forget the cosmetic aspect. They are a mass-produced tool designed for using, not admiring. With handles made out of thin sheet steel they are a design compromise and can't be as rigid or tough as regular shop pliers. My view is that they are way too expensive for what they are capable of, but they're shiny and I'm a sucker for buying tools.

gonefishing81 likes this.
  14. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

Mine has it too. I've had mine for over a year and this is the first time I ever noticed. I honestly don't see how it would bother anybody, it's perfect.

EZDog likes this.
  15. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Same here. Had mine for a couple of years now, never noticed, don't mind.

M

vegassprky and EZDog like this.
  16. sulaco

sulaco Loaded Pockets

Mine is mis-aligned but it doesn't have any play when open or closed. It doesn't bother me and doesn't affect performance at all. I'm a big SAK fan and know if I have a problem they'll take care of it. Since it is a tool and the human hand is perhaps the most adaptable appendage in the world, who cares?

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You obviously acquired a poor sample likely sold because of the defect. I've seen several owned by different individuals. None of them, including my own, is in this condition.

18. buck268

buck268 Loaded Pockets

My Swisstool Spirit has functioned flawless for me. Certainly no looseness or alignment issues. I'd contact victorinox...