1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Victorinox Spirit Toughness?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by leatherman123, May 22, 2010.

1. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

Hey guys, I know for a fact that the for the carry weight, the Victorinox Spirit is the most capable tool in it's class.

I believe that the Spirit is a lot stronger then the Charge TTi for a number of reasons. First off, the Victorinox still is softer so it won't snap.. It may bend, but it won't snap. Next, the pliers. The pliers are cast and the ones on the Spirit are significantly stronger then the ones on the Charge! How many broken LM plier head pics have you seen? How many broken Spirit plier heads have you seen? (none).

Please let me know about your experiences with the Spirit/Charge and which you think is tougher.

2. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

I can't agree with that view. One hand opening, choice of PE and SE blades, compact bit holder screwdriver system, true needle nose pliers, ruler, lanyard attachment and gut hook, all of which I use constantly, are not available on the Spirit. How the multitools are used has a lot to do with which is "more capable." For example, our local police bomb squad was at one time equipped with Gerbers solely because of the one hand access to pliers, not because they were considered superior in any other way.

I really don't know which is tougher but my experience with both has been no breakage problems on the Spirit or Charge. That doesn't mean you are wrong, but I have never seen snapped off plier jaws or broken anything on either, nor any sign of corrosion on my 2 year old Charge. I have bent screwdrivers slightly on both, but never got around to straightening the Spirit driver before giving it away, and haven't got around to fixing the Charge's because it is still functional. If there are any changes, I will update, but so far i haven't been able to work the Charge or any other of my Leathermen to destruction.

3. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

why not put both tools in some sort of hydraulic stress tester and see how much pressure it takes to break the pliers?

4. znapschatz

What a great idea! Right away I am going on Amazon to shop for a hydraulic stress tester, something I have wanted, without knowing, since childhood. There are lots of other things I want to destroy before getting around to multitools, though.

5. SCKAUTOCRAFT

SCKAUTOCRAFT Empty Pockets

I am a huge fan of the Victorinox tools. I like the impliments availability without having to open it, and have actually seen one driven over by a multi ton dozer on the tarmac and it was scuffed and slightly damaged but still functioning! I have had Tim Leathermans products break from just opening the blister pack! I will only use the Victorinox or a Sog for the power lock pliers, and I suppose a Paladin since they are in collaboration with Sog.

6. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

I disagree with you, znapschatz. One hand opening, compact bit holder, true needlenose, pliers, lanyard attatchment, and a cutting hook doesn't make it more capable at all. The one hand opening blades are nice but a dedicated knife is 100x better. A Spirit has an awl, chisel, different wire strippers, a wire bender, a multi purpose hook, long drivers that can reach resessed screws, better build quality, much stronger pliers with a hybrid tip, and even a metal saw.. Alll of these things are missing on the Charge.

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Just FYI, I can one-hand open the Spirit pliers. Ever open a butterfly knife? Same thing.

And seriously, if I need a one hand knife I'll just carry a regular folder, because of all the other great features of a folder (better ergos, better steel, easier to clean, etc).

8. znapschatz

It does for me if those are the features I prefer and use. My tilt to Leatherman came after handling and using the Spirit for some time. Good multitool, much I liked about it, but my experience clearly demonstrated that the Charge was a better fit for me. If you find the Spirit more to your style, that's good too. I don't understand why disagree over personal preferences.

Well, yeah. But a multitool that packs it all means one less thing to carry and does the job well enough. If I expect to do a whole lot of cutting, I take a knife, but most of the time, it isn't really necessary. A Charge can do it all, leaving pocket room for something else. (and as we all know, if there is space, it will be filled.)

Of those implements, the only one on the Charge that I would have missed is an awl, but I lucked into a mod for that. Build quality and strength become an issue if there is history of failure, but so far the Charge has held up well for me. i use mine almost every day and it shows minimal signs of wear. That's really all I need in a multitool.

9. eisbaer

eisbaer Empty Pockets

I'm carrying and using a Spirit for some five years now and it never let me down. Personally I think the overall quality of the Spirit is way better than every Leatherman I handled in the past five years.
    I rarely use my toolbox anymore because 90% of the tasks around the house and the car can be done with the Spirit. If I'd loose it and had to buy another pocket tool I'd get the Spirit again for sure.

I also have a full size Swiss Tool and a Leatherman PST I but of all three I like the Spirit the most.

10. DasRoot

DasRoot Empty Pockets

So, are we just ignoring SOG? I would put that against anything. Also, my leatherman crunch is pretty beast...the Spirit is great but blanket statements are dangerous.

11. znapschatz

Not exactly ignoring SOG, more like ignorant of it. I have never handled one. It is probably okay. My brother is a big fan, has several, and when I gave him my Spirit after taking up a Charge TTi, he thanked me quite nicely, but that was the last it has been seen or heard about.

My life is complicated enough. Some time ago I basically blundered into Vic, and later, Leatherman. Sorting those have been enough of a pastime for me.

12. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Many multitools have I tried. Started with Leathermans and Gerbers since they were available locally. Then SOGs. Finally when I tried the Swisstool, then later the Spirit, I began to "gift" my other multitools to coworkers and friends. They were that nice. Only other multitool I still "go to" other than Victorinox models is the Spyderench.
    In my experience, I prefer the more substantial pliers to a true needlenose. Needlenose pliers are more like "grappling" compared to a Victorinox's "deathgrip" IMHO. One can, if you figure it out, (as carrot mentioned), open the Spirit one-handed. As well as almost any multitool. In my experience, none of the opening methods I employed were as smooth or elegant as the models engineered to do so, but as long as you're not up Mt. Everest, (perhaps on a ladder let's say), they open just fine.
    Victorinox's fit and finish is unequalled. (Well...the Spyderench is an exception. This is no novelty but instead a serious tool. Really impressive.) All tools accessible while closed. Only caveat I have is the lack of 90degree edges on the tools. Screwdrivers can slip until you learn to apply proper pressure. All in all, so far, no one has beaten it yet. I usually don't use a multitool every day. But when a job is at hand, (as in opening a new retail location), I use one many many times every day until the job is done.
    As usual, YMMV and this is simply from my own experience.

13. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

I love Leatherman but have been carrying a Spirit a lot lately. No denying it, the Spirit packs more stuff into a tool similar in size to my Charge. If you don't need a one hand opening blade or really pointy needle nose pliers, the Spirit is probably superior in most respects. The plier heads are really beefy, and they don't have that crimper cut out where the charge pliers sometimes tend to snap off. SOG plier heads are amazing, I just don't like those darn tool covers. I think SOG needs to update the PowerLock design to eliminate those annoying covers somehow and still make a comfortable to use tool.

14. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

All SOG has to do is reverse the handles and make the tools accessible when closed. I don't know if this is really really difficult from a mfg or engineering/design viewpoint so I might be totally off the mark.