1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Victorinox MultiTools...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by mikeylab, Mar 4, 2015.

?

Which Brand of MultiTool do you prefer?

1. Victorinox

27 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. Leatherman

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

I've carried a Swisstool in a belt pouch for 12 years. It does not get used as a job tool, just as an EDC item for everyday living. It has been used a lot and honestly, it still looks and feels practically new. The quality is very impressive.

2. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Leatherman and Victorinox make good products. I've had both, and after years of going back and forth, I lean Leatherman. For the way I use them, long term durability is no issue between Vic and Leatherman. Build quality of either is good enough for me. Although occasionally they get the odd beat down, none of my multi-tools are for really hard use on a daily basis. When I need them, however, they have to be up for what needs done. Leatherman pliers, wire cutters and screwdrivers are superior to those on the Swisstools, one hand opening is a real convenience and a safety factor for some of the things I work with, the bit holder and kit a clever, compact way to deal with almost any fastener I come across, and the knife blades decent or better.
    My oldest Leatherman, a Super Tool, dates from 1997 and has probably been the most used. For 9 years, it was my only multi-tool, carried almost daily. It still looks, feels and works great. My current EDC is a 7 year old Charge TTi, likewise in excellent condition, and there are two others that get occasional use, a Rebar and ST 300. Unless Leatherman or Vic comes up with something else really hot (OHO was a biggie for me), I'm probably set for life.

Last edited by znapschatz, Mar 27, 2015
    ManVsLawn, mikeylab and MrOG like this.
  3. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Plumber got me into the Spirit with his lengthy posts. I have never regretted it. I have both and use both. Kinda like mood rings. But when you want the tool that screams quality and useablity, the Vic gets it for me.
    (Victorinox Spirit X)

4. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Hmmm, not sure I agree with this. I damned near broke a knuckle when the plier head snapped on my old Skeletool (pulling a small finish nail no less) and while I never has this happen on my old Charge, Charge Ti or Surge, I never found any of them notably superior to the Vic's. I've pushed the Vic tools pretty darned hard and never had a problem.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too,again!

I started with Leatherman by snapping the jaws right off a few of them and that drove me to the Swisstool as soon as they came to the market.
    I still have and use both brands but can not say they are even where quality and toughness is concerned. Of course it is hard to get over my early experience with Leatherman no matter how much time passes.

I also still have and use several older Gerbers and still like the quick plier access better than all the others.

ManVsLawn and mikeylab like this.
  6. mikeylab

mikeylab Loaded Pockets

i have had a bunch of Leatherman tools over the years; none have ever broken on me, and I use them a fair amount for work. I have misplaced 1, and another was taken by the illustrious TSA. I have also given away and sold a few. My Crunch is from the initial release. I do want to at least handle a Vic tool at some point. I have to check the Cabelas near me or maybe the Gander Mt. I have never had a leatherman with the newer replaceable cutters, but have seen that they are pretty robust. I like remi grit option on the gerber, but have only ever had one years ago. I did like the plier access, but would occasionally get my palm squished between the handles when gripping too tight and not taking care. Thanks to all for the info and advice!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

I'm not talking about the wire cutters on all Leathermans. Just the cutters on the rebar and st300 which are replaceable. Therefore better.

ManVsLawn and mikeylab like this.
  8. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been debated between a LM Charge TTI and a SwissTool X for a few weeks.

Both seem to have their advantages and a following of 'avid owners'.....

(Now I really can't decide, jerks....) :cold:

vegassprky, mikeylab and powerring like this.
  9. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

The same thing occurs post purchase, unfortunately. ;) I have both and some days it's hard to decide. They're both really excellent.

vegassprky, ManVsLawn and mikeylab like this.
  10. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I currently work at an equipment rental company and regularly have to use my multi-tools hard, they frequently get abused (used as hammers, prying, etc.). I rotate between a Surge and a SwissTool. I would not hesitate for a second to purchase either one again. I have no doubts about the cutting ability of the wire cutter portion of the SwissTool, it will hold up well.

vegassprky, ManVsLawn and mikeylab like this.
  11. ManVsLawn

Thanks... kinda. ;)

I may just have to go for the Charge TTI.... It's a full size with a clip.... That just may be the deciding factor.... although I love the SwissTool's Scissors....

But if I had a horizontal belt sheath for the SwissTool, I'd not need a clip...

:banghead:

powerring, vegassprky and mikeylab like this.
  12. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

OK, thought of something to help YOU decide, the more polished finish of the Victorinox offerings is far more rust resistant than the Leatherman, which might be important to you since you live in FL.

vegassprky, mikeylab and ManVsLawn like this.
  13. ManVsLawn

I have noted that more people have rust issues with LM than with SwissTool. I personally see rust occurring on a wingman/sidekick that was rinsed and dried after use, vs no rust at all on an Alox farmer I carried in my sock for the past month.

This is a major deciding factor. I appreciate the 'swing vote' :D

vegassprky, mikeylab and Hangman like this.
  14. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Well, if you don't mind a slightly larger tool the LM Surge might fit your bill. Has better scissors than the Tti.

vegassprky, mikeylab and ManVsLawn like this.
  15. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Try them both, see how you like each, then sell off the runner up (or keep it and risk the slippery slope ;) ). Basically, that's what I did. If you get them one at a time, you will probably bond with whichever came first, which is not a bad thing. In my case, 9 years of good service with a Leatherman before laying hands on a Swisstool may well have biased my judgement, but I did make comparisons between comparable models and on balance, the Leathermen did better for me. But you might have a different result. In the end, it's a personal call.

16. ManVsLawn

well, ol' Philodemus just settled it... Gently used swisstool x for 40 bucks. Can't go wrong with that. ;)

Edit - now to find a horizontal carry sheath :rolleyes_revamped:

powerring, MrOG, vegassprky and 2 others like this.
  17. anditsgone

anditsgone Loaded Pockets

Used a Swisstool X for 8 months, extremly durable and well desinged tool. i sometimes dont think most leatherman tools wont survive 25 years of edc use. The plier friction wears out in a couple of years, altough that is not a defect it sure is annoying. They will probably replace the tool every time it wears out for example after 15 years. But i can gauantee that the Swisstool will last 25 years, the lock up, the plier friction is replaced with springs. and it is just as heavy duty as an leatherman.

MrOG likes this.
  18. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

This is a tough one. I had a Vic tool and loved it, but it just never grew on me. It always seemed to pretty and a little fragile (but it's not; the friend I gave it to uses it daily on duty without a problem). It's fit and finish were on point, but it never grew on me. My Wave has been in my reach, lunge or grasp since 2000. Not as pretty and kind of rough around the edges, but I don't have a problem scratching it up or getting it dirty. Now, if LM would beef up the main blade....

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. Theo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Theo Loaded Pockets

I've had both the Spirit and a variety of Leatherman tools, I tend to prefer the Spirit. I actually like the original design with the unusual blade however I generally carry a knife as well

ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. ManVsLawn

Just quoting myself because I'd like to say I've joined a new team.

I've gone full Victorinox. All my leathermans are now sold or considered backups in kits.

The quality of the SwissTool X and RS are amazing. The scissors and phillips head are great. Nice locking tools, exterior access, good pliers.

I miss the needle nose only every now and then. But not that much. I can use the two 'corners' of the tips of the pliers just as well.

I may give a higher end LM a try later in life. But I'm very happy with the switch.