1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

victorinox knife's

Discussion in 'Knives' started by renzo1320, Mar 27, 2011.

1. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

German Army Knife is correct.

That's the new model. The swiss and the dutch army use them now too. The old one was a Victrorinox too, well the first one, there were a lot of different manufacturers later. I prefer the old GAK, I've used one for the last decade or so as my go-to camping knife and love it. Here is tha comparison of the two versions

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=263&Itemid=35

2. renzo1320

renzo1320 Empty Pockets

i have the classic on my keychain too

3. Sparkey

Sparkey Loaded Pockets

Tinker or pioneer/ wenger SI. One of these has been in my edc for the last 15 years.

4. RedGladius

RedGladius Loaded Pockets

Lately I have been on a quest to find what I believe to be the best Victorinox Swiss Army Knife available today to use for EDC, and I think I've finally found the answer. Now, remember, this is based just on my needs and observations. Others, I'm sure, vary.

I think the biggest thing that whittled away at many of the knives' chances was the fact that most of them had the corkscrew feature. I'll probably never need that. And when I do, more than likely there will be one in the house already, so it's not something i'll really care to have on an EDC knife/multitool. But corkscrews aren't on all of Victorinox's swiss army knives. Some models have the full size Phillips head screwdriver. Everyone knows those are much more useful. So that really narrows it down for me.

Another thing that helped narrow it down was Scissors. They always seem to come in handy. Many Victorinox knives have scissors, but not many have scissors and the screwdriver. This sort of narrowed it down to the Tinker series. The Tinker doesn't have scissors, but the rest is there. But the Super Tinker is basically a Tinker with scissors.

For a while, I was satisfied with my choice of the Super Tinker. But that's when I discovered the Deluxe Tinker. The Deluxe Tinker is basically a Super Tinker with added pliers! We all know that pliers come in handy often! The only downfall is the added thickness and weight. But I have the Super Tinker and that one isn't intrusive. Once, I tried to carry my CyberTool 34 in my pocket, and while it wasn't perfect (i noticed it every once in a while walking), it wasn't as bad as I expected!

Another good option, if you don't want the pliers, is the Fieldmaster. The Fieldmaster is basically a Super Tinker with a sawblade in addition to the regular and backup blades. I could see that coming in handy.

So basically...

The Tinker Series (Tinker, Super Tinker, Deluxe Tinker)
    or the Fieldmaster.

Hope this helps!

5. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

+ 1 Wenger Evolution model 17

6. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

The "best" SAK or multitool (or most other things) depend on what your needs are. After researching some SAKs inspired by this thread, I'd like to share one suggestion hitherto unmentioned which I have stumbled upon.

A preambular disclaimer: I do not own this SAK. I do plan to buy it soon, but I have no personal experience with it.

The Victorinox Executive seems like a good pocket tool for the urban environment. The form factor is great: two tool layers thick, about two inches long, reportedly comfortably carryable in the 5th change pocket. It contains five tools plus the scale-inbeded toothpick and tweezers. The tools lean heavily towards the bladed variety. Everything but the nail file, tweezers, and toothpick is a bladed tool making it very airport unfriendly but, I think, useful in the common urban setting.

The five tools are a large clip-point blade, a small spear-point blade, scissors, a nail file, and a orange peeler. Yup, an orange peeler. This is an odd tool, but I envision that it might be quite useful for general food prep with fruits especially. And, honestly, I like eating oranges for lunch, so I might very well end up using it for its intended purpose. As for the other tools, they seem to adequately cover the range of common needs for an urbanite. I now carry a LM Squirt, and the tool I use the most is the file for use on my nails. The file on the Executive looks perfect for nails and has a good nail cleaner on it (which can also be used as a small philips driver if needed). The scissors hardly need introduction. Scissors are good. Victorinox makes good ones, and these are fairly large, taking advantage of the full length of the Executive's body. The blades are small. I think the most disappointing thing one might find with them is that they are skinny. They don't have much length for the edge to run, losing some potential slicing power. But I think they are adequate for most tasks they'd face. What do you want out of non-locking blades on a SAK? One of the two blades could also be saved for use with food while the other is used for utility tasks.

The only outstanding tools that I see lacking in the Executive might be a cap lifter, good drivers, and maybe a reamer. But, overall, I think it strikes a good balance of size and utility.

I am writing this from the perspective of the use I would put a SAK to. If the needs don't apply, you might see this tool very differently. I am assuming an indoor or urban environment and light-duty tasks. If you need to saw branches and punch holes through leather, you might want to be looking for different tools. The Executive seems a wonderful pocket companion for me which is why I plan to pick one up very very soon.

Sorry if my ramblings were overly long. I just wanted to share my thoughts. I hope they are helpful.

[​IMG]

MrOG likes this.
  7. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

If I had to slim down to one knife and no other tools it would be the Victorinox parachutist I modded mine with a deep carry pocket clip and warncliff style rescue blade. Its a great edc knife that wiil do alot of work by itself.[​IMG][/IMG]

8. renzo1320

renzo1320 Empty Pockets

it was helpfull. i have to think about it. it seems very nice

9. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I actually just confirmed my purchase of the Executive. I can give you my initial thoughts on it once it arrives if you like.

JAfromMn, that look like a very cool and useful SAK. What exactly did you do to the blade?

10. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I would say the Tinker. It has fixed so many things, and has held up to hard use. If you ever need a corkscrew, I would suggest the Compact. Both are excellent knives but I think the Tinker is the best.

11. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I made the main one hand opening blade much more pointed than it cameand I cold ground the blade shape in a oil bath and ysed a dimond file and bench stone to turn the the rescue blade into a warncliff style- I didn't have any plans to rescue anyone-its not as easy as it sounds there is a lot of thick steel at the tip to remove . I might plane edge the main blade and add new handles g10 maybe yet. This one been a work in progress since the day i got it.

12. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mini Champ! I love mine.

MrOG likes this.
  13. lwt210

lwt210 Loaded Pockets

I have found that the Explorer Plus is what I would consider to be a good choice.

I have a Stayglow Explorer and am looking to get a Black Explorer plus model. I have a blue Climber Plus and really love the addition feature of the mini screwdriver and the pressurized ink pen. The straight pin could come in handy too.

14. Mobuse

Mobuse Loaded Pockets

I think the Wenger 14, 17 or 18 (preferably in the "soft touch" version) are best for EDC - they don't have the stupid Victorinox hook, they save space by placing the nailfile where the small blade would be and they are not too thick to be comfortably carried in your pocket....

15. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I currently EDC a full-size SAK Champ, but before then I carried a Handyman (and before THAT, an Explorer).
    I like the "weightiness" of the Champ, so I know that its on me (& I havent lost it!) but IF Im honest with myself, I think the Handyman had pretty much ALL I needed.

My most EDC'd blade is undoubtedly the SAK Mini-champ on my keys, as I never, EVER go anywhere without my keys but very, VERY occasionally I DONT have my full-size EDC blad on me.

16. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

RECRUIT! Everything you need, nothing you don't. If you need scissors, pick the Super Tinker, but its a little bigger in the pocket.

17. pl4stic

pl4stic Loaded Pockets

I like the Cadet. Slim, simple, and the alox looks great. I mainly use the blade, bottle opener, nail file/pick.

18. mworley66

mworley66 Loaded Pockets

I say the Explorer plus. I carry it every day.

[​IMG]

19. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Compact. It is almost perfect. 85% of the time it's all I need. I have a cutting edge, the wonderful combi tool which solves most problems, the scissors which solve most of the other problems, and while I don't use them a lot, the tweezers/pin/pen/toothpick all come in handy.

The hook I've only used once or twice but the nail file on the back of the hook saves it, and turns a nearly useless tool into an ingenious one as it combines two implements I sort of like but don't really use a lot. The corkscrew I dig because it's the best way to hold the jeweler's screwdriver, and the corkscrew itself is actually useful for untying knots. Plus hey, if you're gonna carry one kind of bottle opener, you might as well carry the other.

Really the only thing I wish it had was an inline #2 phillips screwdriver or at least the can opener, which is sized for a #2 Phillips so you can "fake it". So the Explorer does look nice and might be the next one I try.

OTOH I've realized that if I need a phillips head screwdriver, I usually need a pair of pliers too. So I step up to a big SAK or a multitool, not something slender and, well, compact like the Compact. The capabilities for its size and weight are quite nice.

But I love SAKs, there's so many I want, including nearly every one mentioned in this thread so far.

20. airsickness

airsickness Loaded Pockets

I just bought the Outrider. I like it. But I think I still prefer the Farmer.