1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Victorinox Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by gcconspiracy, Apr 8, 2018.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Loaded Pockets

Alright, I may just have to give this a try... I still think I might pick up a new SAK, but at least this way the Super Tinker will live on as a backup - it really is a fantastic knife!

Gary Gross likes this.
  2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

If the tools are still good I'd definitely throw it in a bag or vehicle. You're bound to use it sooner or later.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gcconspiracy likes this.
  3. gcconspiracy

Exactly! Either this, or I will pass it on to someone who will enjoy it...

Moose and Gary Gross like this.
  4. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Cannot believe no one has said it yet, get ALL of them!
    Seriously, if you think the most fun one would be the SwissChamp, I say go for it, I have two suggestions for carrying it, #1 on a lanyard/dangler from your belt into your pocket (works better than just a pocket dangler) or #2 get a belt pouch for it. Now IF you are going to get a classic to carry as well, I would suggest the plain Pioneer instead of the X or Farmer. If you don't find yourself using the tweezers or toothpick, I would suggest the Alox Classic, it can go onto your keyring and you won't even notice it is there.

gcconspiracy likes this.
  5. gcconspiracy

Yes, "buy them all" does seem to be the general theme around here!
    In all seriousness though, thanks for your thoughts regarding swiss champ carry - you make some excellent points. Also, I will certainly revisit the Pioneer + Classic combo... And yes, the alox classic is really nice (and it would look stellar alongside a 93mm alox knife).

Take care

6. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

Buy 'em all, but also buy a set of new scales, they're only about 12 bucks and it will look like new.

Gogogordy and gcconspiracy like this.
  7. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

The different environments plays a factor in my thought process as well. I’m usually in a suburban area, so a saw isn’t really that important to me. When I visit family in the more rural areas, I will usually go for the farmer plus rambler or fieldmaster by itself.

gcconspiracy and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Despite being one of my most used saks, my pioneer x is the toughest to open of all of them, especially the can and bottle openers.

gcconspiracy likes this.
  9. gcconspiracy

Well, after much deliberation, I've made my decision...
    First, I decided that I don't really want to buy another cellidor model at this time, therefore my choices were narrowed down to the Pioneer X and the Farmer. Then I realized that, although I love the Vic saws, I rarely use a saw (but I use Vic scissors daily). After those two realizations, the decision became clear... I am ordering a Pioneer X. It will be my first Alox, and I am really looking forward to receiving it!

10. bruno_go

bruno_go Loaded Pockets

Basically, the Evogrip S18 is the Fieldmaster on a Wenger style package (85mm) AND the main blade can be locked.

Moose and Gary Gross like this.
  11. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

Great choice.
    As an aside re the Evo S18 vs the Fieldmaster issue... I have the Wenger Evo ST17 and VIC Huntsman which are both practically fraternal twins to the knives in question. The Evo17/18 is a noticeably smaller knife in hand and pocket, being 85mm compared to the 91mm of the Fieldmaster/Huntsman.
    The blade is also thinner across the spine and the back-spring slightly weaker on the Evo (but these factors have never been a problem in use - I prefer the clip point profile of the ST17 too). The fact that on the S18 the blade locks will help (though the positioning of the lock release looks un-ergonomic). The scissors are better on the Evo (serrations and no fiddly spring), and the scales are more comfy/grippy; and having carried mine for years have no qualms about their robustness. Though the file on the Evo is useful I prefer having the secondary blade on the Fieldmaster/Huntsman. The parcel hook is vexing to me (I just don't see the point).

The build quality of the knives is indistinguishable to my eye; both are very well built.
    In conclusion, if you have bigger hands or prefer a bigger or second blade, and cheaper price, the 91mm knife is better suited. If you want less weight/bulk in the pocket or prefer the file, better grip, better scissors and a blade that locks, the 85mm is the one.
    (I notice the larger knife tends to be cheaper).

Me? I chose and edc'd the Evo ST17 for years. I now carry the Huntsman because it was a present from my other half.

Ps, I've used the SAK saw multiple times in an urban context (usually in some DIY crisis) and wouldn't be without one now.

All the best (^_^)

Last edited by Moose, Apr 10, 2018
    #31 Moose, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Moose: (and all y'all). The parcel hook of course is an echo of the times from when the Victorinox knife design(s) started. It was an era when merchants actually wrapped parcels in paper, secured by twine. Plastic bags with handles didn't exist. That being said, those hooks can still be useful. There's a guy on YouTube, Nikos NikGyver (or at least that's his YouTube moniker!) who puts out all kinds of videos showing different ways to use SAK. Some emphasis on the parcel hook -- no doubt in response to so many people who think it is useless today. This one is one of my favorites:

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose likes this.
  13. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

Alox Cadet + Classic. (my $0.02)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Moose likes this.
  14. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think you made a good choice, OP. I carry a standard Pioneer darn near every day and miss it when I don't. Never really forged that attachment to my cellidors or scout knives, despite the scout knives having pretty scales and the same tools and the cellidors having more tools.

Something about that Alox, that pared down toolset, that killer awl, the strong springs and thick tools... love it to death. Has everything I really need and nothing I don't.

15. gcconspiracy

Well, it was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I’m not complaining! What a stunning knife, and a perfect EDC replacement for my Super Tinker. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Good choice. And overall I do like the silver ALOX.

Moose and gcconspiracy like this.
  17. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Good choice. I do love the alox.

gcconspiracy likes this.
  18. gcconspiracy

Quick question, has anyone experienced a sharp edge on the rivets of their alox knives? This is my first alox, and the middle rivet on the back is noticeably sharp/rough on the edge - enough that I’ve caught my finger on it a few times.

It’s not a huge deal, and I’m sure it will be fine, but on a knife that is finished so well it really stands out!

19. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

One of my rivets is a little proud on my Pioneer, but it has smoothed out in the pocket. No worries.

gcconspiracy likes this.
  20. gcconspiracy

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear - I’m hoping it will smooth out with use as well. Thanks

thatotherguy likes this.