1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Victorinox Classic SD...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by polonium9, Jul 11, 2015.

1. gingerninja

gingerninja Loaded Pockets

hopefully someone has a decent collection and some pics to

Cobra 6 Actual and GeneralGlenn like this.
  2. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

No collection, but I have thought about buying them for gifts. There's basically a design out there for everyone, but I haven't ever gone through with it. I'm interested in seeing some collections though!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. gingerninja

My mother is the queen of useless gifts so i think im going to point her in their direction

GeneralGlenn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. Downwind

Downwind Empty Pockets

My dad gave me a classic 30 years ago and told me I'd use it every day. I have.

5. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

The problem with the classic is, as nice as it is, it just does not have the sheer utility that the micra has in almost the same size package. I once was a die hard classic fan, but once I used the micra that somebody gave me, I became a die hard convert.
    [​IMG]

Plus once you have the blade out and then fold up the handles, it becomes sort of like a reverse balisong; impossible for the blade to fold up on you under harder use than a classic could ever be put to.
    [​IMG]

AK Adventurer and GeneralGlenn like this.
  6. GeneralGlenn

Although that's true jackknife, deploying the blade takes what seems like forever with a Micra. The small keychain SAK is backup and convenience for me, so closing the blade on my fingers isn't really an issue for me. I therefore like a small SAK better for knife duties. Scissors isn't a contest though

7. gingerninja

To be honest i dont carry a backup knife very often and as far as my key ring goes, less is best. Im quite happy with one main knife but I do like these little classics. Anyway heres mine

[​IMG]clasics

8. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

That's a very interesting size comparison. I had to go grab my classic to make the same comparison for myself since the Micra feels so much more conspicuous on my key chain than the Classic. I guess the extra width, mass, and sharper corners make the difference.

9. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Naa, it's the weight! The micra is twice the weight of the classic. All the dimensions are so very close, except the weight of the thing. It's the trade off to the increased utility factor.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  10. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that makes sense. Ever since I got a Micra, I've been carrying it in my coin pocket...along with the Classic on my key chain.

They're both sweet little things.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have always been tempted, but added up how much money it would cost me to buy even the basic colour variations, never mind all the special editions, branded options and others, so gave up on the thought...

The first classic I got was a UK flag one similar to the New Zealand one you have, and I have always wanted to pick up some of the variants of that, but have never found any of them in the wild, and to be honest I doubt they are available now anyway beyond searching ebay, which won't let me bid on them from the UK...

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  12. Narcosynthesis

That was pretty much my thoughts on the Squirt PS4 - a great wee tool, and not much larger physically than a classic, yet because of the weight it feels like a small lump of steel in the bottom of my pocket, rather than just vanishing like the classics do.

The Style models are quite a good alternative for a much more classic-like weight, but also lose out on quite a few of the functions...

O_G and GeneralGlenn like this.
  13. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Is the Leatherman Style no longer being made? I can find lots of Style CS's for sale, but no regular Styles...

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  14. Narcosynthesis

And to finish my chain of separate posts, can I also admit a preference to the rambler over the classic?

I find the extra layer adds quite a lot for very little additional bulk (unlike the mini champ which adds little I actually find useful for quite a lot of extra bulk) which I feel is well worth it. My current tool is one I replaced the scales on (fairly poorly though I will admit) with some thinner carbon fibre sheet that leaves the rivets exposed - about half the thickness of the original scales, and the loss of the toothpick and tweezers don't really bother me given I would prefer an alox model anyway if it was available....

Which does lead to one thought that has been wandering about my head for quite a while now - how hard would it be to get hold of the (readily available) mini champ in black alox, and then remove a few layers to give me a black alox rambler? I am not sure my skill level would quite extend that far, but I am being tempted...

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  15. Narcosynthesis

I will have to admit by 'style' I was really thinking about the PS/CS versions, so I couldn't say for sure, I picked up another PS last week, so those still seem readily available but I will have to admit I didn't even look for the smaller version.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  16. GeneralGlenn

+1 on the rambler. The orientation of the tools is better too, as the sharp bits extend away from the keyring.

Swiss Bianco sells alox ramblers for about the price of 2.5 regular ones if I'm not mistaken, and that's without shipping. That's a little steep for me, but I desperately want (read: need) one. Someday. rickinFL (hope you don't mind the tag!) does amazing work on all sorts of SAKs, and he'd be the first guy I would ask. I know doing a mod like you're thinking about can be done, and I've thought about it too, but I'm not sure if it's the best project to begin with as a novice modder.

17. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Black is one of the hardest colors to peen. No matter how careful I am I've had horrible luck peening black alox without showing marks from peen hammer. If removing layers you'll have the brass you need to repeen.

SwissB is pricey but seems to focus on the collector market. He does offer some unique colors in limited runs and they do justify the price. If I were to attempt this for a first time I would consider a SILVER minichamp. Silver hides the marks much better.

Good luck

Cobra 6 Actual and GeneralGlenn like this.
  18. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

They are cheap enough and small enough have in various kits/vehicles and be useful without breaking the bank. I have a Rambler on one set of keys, which is similar to the classic, only better as stated.

Toothpick is simply amazing!

GeneralGlenn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  19. Narcosynthesis

Yeah, but black looks cooler ;)

GeneralGlenn likes this.