1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Victorinox Classic SD...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by polonium9, Jul 11, 2015.

1. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've got a Rambler on the way. We'll see if the screwdrivers justify the extra bulk and weight on my key chain.

The Classic has been on my key chain for years and I use the file and scissors quite often.

2. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Well, I have 21 Classics and 15 Ramblers. I'm just sayin'...

3. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

I think I'm the only one who uses the toothpick. It's just so useful!

4. fourSAK

fourSAK Loaded Pockets

I use mine. It's handy!

Cobra 6 Actual, GeneralGlenn and LRex like this.
  5. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

A fellow toothpick user! I literally can't continue on with life, knowing something is stuck between my teeth haha it bothers me so much and the toothpick is a savior.

6. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I use it to pick lint out of the knife...

7. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

That works too! :)

Cobra 6 Actual and GeneralGlenn like this.
  8. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Its a Classic. Its great in almost every aspect except one. The keyring is located on the blade side. It's hard to be unimpressed because I know its limitations. A SAK Classic can fill almost every need I have for an urban EDC...

All the tools are solid. No play. And the scissors cut just about everything, much more than paper.

Plus, its cheap. A Rambler takes it to the next level. One of the best little knives ever!

MrOG, Tallboyjim, TECENG and 3 others like this.
  9. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I have been a freak on the Vict classic for over 20 years. Loved them. Have carried one on my keying every single day, except when traveling by air. Then I had one in my checked bag. They are way more rugged than they let on, and give amazing service for such a light weight little thing. I've used the SD tip for all kinds of phillips screws, and even fixed a Minnicota trolling motor out on a very big winding lake with my classic. The little screw driver has helped me out of all kinds of situations.

But…having said all that, I have found myself using the Leatherman micra more anymore over the last several months. It's a bit bigger and heavier than the classic, and does not fit on a keychain as well, but it gives more service and is way more real world rugged. I was in a huge disagreement on another form with a fan of the micra, and he actually sent me one. I changed my mind after a few months use, and now my classic is sitting in my sock drawer, not being used. The micra has takeover the spot held by the classic all this years, The micra is way easier to handle with arthritis as the unfolded handle in much longer and gives more grip than the tiny lozenge shaped classic. The knife blade is way more robust for such a small blade, and I love the chisel grind anyhow easy it is to touchup. The piece of twine or UPS package doesn't know it's a chisel grind when I cut it open.

I keep the micra on a quick release hook on the eyeing, so I can detach it at a seconds notice for use. I love how much stronger the screw driver is, and can actually sue it as a light duty pry bar. The scissors cut heavier material better than the tiny classic.

I am a devout convert to the Leatherman micra.

AK Adventurer and GeneralGlenn like this.
  10. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I'd agree that they look and maybe feel flimsy, but I was surprised at just how tough the little Classics really are. I took one and tried to really abuse it. Even tried to bend or break the blade through rough use. Couldn't do it. I ended up buying it, years ago, thinking I'd use it as a disposable knife, but the little thing is still around and in use.

11. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

As dmattaponi noted they're tough: I have a Vic Rambler that one of my sons dropped under my car, unbeknownst to me. Later that day I drove over it. Other than some 'pavement rash' on the scales it is still working fine 20 years later.

12. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I agree that the Vic Classic is a little too small. That's why I always recommend the Wenger version. It's a few mm larger, and I think slightly more robust, and you get serrated scissors that will cut more than paper. Get yourself a Micro Tool Box before it's too late!

13. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use it too. Mostly for cleaning teeth and the knife itself.

Cobra 6 Actual and GeneralGlenn like this.
  14. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

I gave the PTC a chance and quickly switched back to the 58mm Victorinox' because of the scissors when cutting paracord. The serrated Wenger scissors completely bogged up and failed at cutting paracord and my used Rambler cut through first try with authority. The chunky flathead on the wenger is actually no wider or stronger than the Victorinox file flathead .The wenger blade cutting edge is barely bigger than the 58mm blade too.

15. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

This ^

The scissors also move when cutting due to the spring design. Victorinox reigns supreme for me.

16. BrokenHandle

BrokenHandle Loaded Pockets

My favorite version of the classic is the midnite manager series. It's a more useable and easier carry than the minichamp. Only criticism I have with the scissors is that the pointy ends are quite sharp. The pen and flashlight are very usable in a pinch.

17. gingerninja

gingerninja Loaded Pockets

Does anyone collect the classic sd limited editions that come out every year?

18. Cobra 6 Actual

gingerninja, I don't actually try to collect each year's entire set, but I do selectively buy the ones that I think have especially cool graphics. How about you?

AK Adventurer, MrOG and GeneralGlenn like this.
  19. gingerninja

gingerninja Loaded Pockets

Ive got about 6 classics but only one of the limited editions, it was a gift. I do like them though and like you id like to selectively get a few. there are some pretty cool designs out there.

20. Cobra 6 Actual

Exactly, Gingerninja. If I had more money and fewer other interests I'd probably be buying even more of them. Let's see if anyone else 'answers up' in the affirmative.

AK Adventurer and GeneralGlenn like this.