1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Victorinox Classic SD...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by polonium9, Jul 11, 2015.

1. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I bought one... And not too impressed with it.

Pros:
    Light
    Sharp knife
    precision scissors are nice

Cons:
    Feels flimsy
    scissors can't seem to cut anything besides paper
    Looked kinda silly on my personal keychain
    Nail file flexed when I opened it
    Play in all the tools

I tried to like it, I really did.

But when it came down to it, I prefer the LM Micra for all it has to give me.

Sorry, it's personal opinion, and many of you have it and like it, I can't fault you for that. If you can change my opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm gonna give it to my friend, though, as he can use it more than me.

2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

The classics are great little non threatening items. But I feel the blade would snap if I tried to slice an apple.:nah_disagree:

But they are way too little, and way too short in the blade department to even be useful for me.

I like my little classic Alox, because, heck, it is Alox, but it isn't so much a knife as a mini pocket tool.

Cobra 6 Actual, Antithetik and LRex like this.
  3. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

The Vic Classic is a classic. As ManVsLawn said, it is very non-threatening and can easily fit on your keychain and no one will give you a double look. I do find it rather useful though. Maybe I'm not using it enough, but it does things when I need it to. Even trimmed my nails with the scissors. I haven't seen any bad QC in mine, but it is what it is. I feel a bit biased, my dad always had one, so I just felt like it was right to get one as well.

4. brisboy

brisboy Loaded Pockets

I find mine super useful. I'm in an environment where knives are mostly just not ok (a school) except if you're in the tuckshop. Vic Classic is still the only thing I can really get away with. Even so, when I pull it out to use the scissors in front of students I always get, "Oh! He's got a knife!" from some student, even though the blades on their scissors which they are all required to have are longer; it's recognised as a knife. Anyway, I use mine all the time.

Cobra 6 Actual, LRex, Hangman and 4 others like this.
  5. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

the logic i'll never understand, my mum saw my ka bar which has a 7 inch blade and she said it was too big, i walked over to the draw to pulled out a kitchen knife that has at a 8-9 inch blade on it lol

CSM-101, Cobra 6 Actual, LRex and 4 others like this.
  6. fourSAK

fourSAK Loaded Pockets

I think the beauty of the Vic classic is that it packs so much quality into a small and non threatening package. On the keychain so it's always with you. The little blade is very capable of opening the clamshell packaging so many things come in, and the many "tear here" packets that can't be torn. It's a fantastic orange peeler, tape cutter and it will slice a apple! Scissors that clip nails, paper, thread, and ravels. A handy nail file and the little screwdriver can not only tighten many screws, but still works fine for getting crud out from under your nails. One of the best tweezers for splinters, and a tooth pick! It's best as a first responder so to speak since it's so available, but it some times needs it's big brother for tougher stuff, then bring out the Victorinox Champ out.
    Now if you don't like the little guy, go ahead and give it to your friend, maybe he'll treasure it for what it is, a handy little knife!
    Of course I'm partial to the little red handle knives, they've served me well for 30 years. :)

EXCALIBUR, Water-Rat, MrOG and 7 others like this.
  7. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I get ya.

I had SAK'S my whole life, from age 5-22, there's always been an SAK somewhere near me. I've ALWAYS liked them and always vouched for them.

My friend is making a custom knife, so I think payment with this is good. :)

Cobra 6 Actual, LRex, fourSAK and 2 others like this.
  8. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

IMO the Ramber is the go to 58mm. It's a classic with the addition of a Philips screwdriver and bottle opener. As far as your cons: flimsy, play, and flex; it won't fail you and will do what is needed. As other states my scissors have cut more than paper, but a 58mm should not be a primary tool but a backup or the tool you have when you are caught without anything better. And as far as looks, all I can say is there any several scales out there, but I prefer Alox.

9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I find that the SAK classic (or the Rally, which I'm using right now- lost my latest SD) is often the knife I go to when I know I need a small knife but don't want to break my Case Peanut. They're something like $10 apiece and Vic has a fantastic warranty, so if I do somehow mess it up I'm not out too much.

All in all, for a sleeper tool you can hide away somewhere, I much prefer the Swisscard. Much better scissors, same tweezers toothpick and nail file, blade is a bit stouter (though more uncomfortable to use), my favored variant has a little ballpoint pen, a small protractor and a short little ruler. However, speaking from experience, don't put it in your wallet (if you back pocket carry). The one that I had in my wallet cracked in fairly short order and had to be replaced by the good folks at Vic.

Last edited by thatotherguy, Jul 18, 2015
    MrOG and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

It's strictly a better-than-absolutely-nothing case for me. I do have two.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  11. gene stoner

gene stoner Loaded Pockets

I keep one in my survival kit just in case.

12. brisboy

brisboy Loaded Pockets

I've got to stop reading this website! Bunch of stinking enablers!
    Just when I thought I wasn't going to buy any knives for a while. I knew of the rally which looked awesome except for the lack of scissors so went looking for a rambler and found a manager which is the same except with the addition of a retractable ball point. Well, I got one on ebay for AU$12.50 including postage! Pretty chuffed at that price actually.

Soulriot and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  13. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

It is tougher than you think. Used one to cut up several heavy guage cardboard boxes (the sort T.V's come in). Yes, I wanted to see if it was breakable in normal use which it ain't.

MrOG and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  14. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Although I also prefer the Rambler over the Classic, I find that the tool I use most on either is the little scissors: usually to cut tags off of purchases. Next most used is probably the little plastic toothpick, which is surprisingly tough. And, next would be a 'toss up' between the tweezers and the main blade.

Although I carry the Rambler, I also have a bigger blade, the Benchmade 909, plus a Blackhawk Hawkhook that has a fairly efficient seatbelt cutter as one of its main features as well as a standard screwdriver tip. It seems that I'll use one or two of these knives at least once or twice a day; some days I'll even use all three.

EXCALIBUR, MrOG and Soulriot like this.
  15. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

As a stand alone tool I tent to agree that the classic is not much of a multitool. However, as a supplement to something bigger, I say it can't be beat. It has its limitations when you compare it to a full sized sak or a LM Wave or even a dedicated blade, but when you just need a little sumthin sumthin, it packs great quality in a very affordable package. And let's face it, like most of us around here, if I'm ever in a situation where all I'm carrying is my keys, chances are I'm not expecting to do heavy duty work or getting into a survival type situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

fourSAK and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  16. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

That's why I carry the Leatherman Micra. Amazing scissors, and knife is tiny and super sharp. No one bats an eye with it, either.

I'll agree that, at the price point, it can't be beat. It's a great little tool, but I just didn't like it, for some reason.

17. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The blade is small and mostly irrelevant. I carry a Classic because it is stupidly hard to find a SAK that has both nail file and scissors. The Classic has an excellent nail file and annoyingly small, but still useful scissors. By having a Classic on my keychain, if my larger knife is missing a file or scissors (or both), I can still get by.

EXCALIBUR and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  18. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use the file mostly, for nails or other filing needs.

The blade is small, but I've used it for opening clamshell packaging, opening plastic bags/boxes for food (sandwiches in a plastic bag in the cafeteria at school, they're tough) and trim cuticles. I've never tried slicing/peeling an apple due to the size, but I don't feel it would break (clamshell is a lot tougher than an apple..)

The scissors are useful for loose threads, plasters, tape, nails, and a whole other bit. I have one in my FAK for its utility with small boo boos.

I find the 74 mm frame to be greatly more useful, but too heavy for keychain carry.

The classic still does it for me though.

EXCALIBUR and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  19. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I just recently purchased my first SAK...and now I have like 6. I got one of the classics to put on my key chain, and it does the trick for small tasks, but is definitely not going to ever be my first option unless all I have on me are my keys. Having said that though, I have used it a number of times already when needing a pair of scissors in the field. The knife is a joke, but will cut up boxes just fine. The scissors, tweezers, file, and toothpick are all handy.

I like to have separate kits for EDC, Vehicle Kit (GHB), Travel, Camping/Bushcrafting, and my BOB...although many of the items are the same in each kit (LM Wingman/Sidekick/Wave, Fenix E12 flashlight, Bear Grylls compact fire starter, trash bag, bandanna, etc). I just prefer not having to swap out kits all the time for various tasks, and instead can just grab whatever specific bag I need and I'm already locked & loaded and ready to rock'n'roll. After messing around with my first SAK (a spartan), I decided to beef up all my kits with some type of SAK as a backup to the LM multi-tools. So now I got a serrated spartan in my Camping/Bushcrafting kit, and one in my BOB. I have an SAK Waiter in my EDC kit and Travel kit (mainly due to having a corkscrew and bottle opener, and my propensity to party when traveling). Finally, I keep an SAK Bantam in my pocket that has recently replaced a Gerber ripstop that I've used for years as a pocket knife. So far...so good.

20. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

You bought the wrong model bro, Rambler over Classic all day. Rambler has a liner in the middle for added sturdiness, it has an excellent 3D phillips driver with bottle opener, and the Rambler's blade opens on the proper end away from the keys unlike the Classic.

I also like the Rambler more than the Micra. I have them both sitting right next to me :D

Rambler vs Micra

Blade - Preference. I like the Victorinox attributes (real 2 sided edge & stainless) better for on the go EDC. I like the Micra attributes (slightly sturdier & better grip) better for at home or work.
    Scissors - Preference. I like the Victorinox attributes (precision) better for on the go EDC. I like the Micra attributes (bigger & stronger) better for at home or work.
    Phillips - Rambler.
    Flathead - Micra.
    Tweezers - Rambler.

The Rambler is also smaller, lighter, has bonus tools to choose from for the scales, is universally recognized, and all the tools are quicker and easier to access. I think those qualities make it best for keychain/not at home/on the go/carrying around. I think the Micra's attributes make it better for home/work/not carrying around on my keys.

The cons you listed are very unusual. You might have got a dud! I would return it or contact Vic. My Rambler has absolutely zero play in any of the tools even when strongly flexing them back and forth.

Last edited by MrOG, Jul 23, 2015