1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

victorinox, citizen or...

Discussion in 'Watches' started by A.B., May 17, 2015.

1. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Back to the original suggestions....I'd go with citizen.

I owned a handful of Vics as a kid, and I couldn't keep them running. I always liked them, but they all stopped within a few days. At the time, I believed some guy in a store that it had to do with magnetic fields my body created, but, sadly, I never turned into magneto.

Conversely, I bought a citizen quartz chronograph in....1995, I think. I keep letting the battery die because now I pretty much always wear my omega....but the watch still runs and still keeps time. I wear it places I don't want to risk the omega.

If I had to buy a nice but affordable watch today, they're probably the first ones I'd look at.

ballistic likes this.
  2. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

Don't forget Seiko too!

A.B. likes this.
  3. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

If you want to know where north is, here you go! A bit more precise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are SARG007 and SARG005. You also might look at the SARB017 but it's about a mm smaller in the case.

Sent from a device.

Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Thanks.

A4VC likes this.
  5. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

Just be forewarned, the straps that come with these are not all that great. Uncomfortable, impossible to break in, etc. If you like the stock look, invest in a Hadley Roma strap or something else. I like NATO's and wear them almost every day. Also have a couple of the Hadley's to dress it up a bit when necessary.

Sent from a device.

A.B. likes this.
  6. kplong02

kplong02 Loaded Pockets

A.B. likes this.
  7. kplong02

kplong02 Loaded Pockets

8. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

EcoDrive.
    Up to 4 now, love them

9. Civilian

Civilian Loaded Pockets

Anything SEIKO or Citizen. No one else has better quality or lume for the money.

ballistic likes this.
  10. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Your description for a watch put yourself into a huge category that covers anything from a $20 Timex to $4999 Omega Speedmaster (just throwing out numbers there :) )

Anyway, I like these, with increasing prices :)
    - Garmin Fenix 5, its a watch, its a GPS watch, semi-smart watch, ABC watches, activiy watch, ....
    - Bulova moonwatch, HFQ movement, 60 min chrono, sapphire crystal, tribute to their old moonwatch, huge value
    - the new Victorinox INOX titanium or Carbon, 5 yr quartz, sapphire crystal, tough like G-Shocks
    - Seiko or Citizen satellite sync watches, sync with GPS for timing only
    - Breitling Aerospace Evo, 3 yr analog / digital quartz, titanium case / bracelet, minute repeater
    - Omega Speedmaster Profession, 42mm case, manual wind, moon watch

But I don't know, this is just to name a few.

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm VERY partial to automatic watches. In particular the Seiko 5 Sports series. This is a notch above the basic Seiko 5 in terms of the movement and overall fit and finish. Check Amazon and you'll find prices from about $110 up into the $300 range. For myself I like dive style and military style. Movements are great -- mine keep a stored energy reserve that lets them keep running on the dresser for at least a day and a half once I switch them out of rotation for something else. Lume is great; very easy to read in the dark. None of mine have a compass bezel but there are some I've seen on Amazon that I believe do.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

+1 Citizen Eco-Drive. I have a 17 year old Promaster Tough Titanium PMU56-2371 (pictured) EDC'd for several of those years and it's still ticking ;), all original except I replaced the original Kevlar strap with a Maratac 2 piece in ACU grey. The monocoque case hasn't been opened, the original Eco-Drive capacitor is still going strong.

This one would be a good option, then get a Maratac strap.

[​IMG]

Last edited by ballistic, Apr 12, 2017
    #32 ballistic, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    xrayit likes this.
  13. Doctawho

Doctawho Loaded Pockets

Citizen with perpetual calendar and Atomic. You won't have to maintain the watch for 10 years when the battery goes out and never have to adjust the time/date.

14. Trigger's broom

Trigger's broom Loaded Pockets

I had a Orient Blue Ray which was a cracking watch for the money, step up a in budget & Hamilton are making some nice watches at the moment, the Khaki Below Zero is quite the looker.

Edit, i'll also give strapcode a mention for some great quality stainless steel bracelets, made a big difference to my SKX007.

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I will echo the recommendations for one of the Citizen Eco-drive watches.

They give you a solar powered quartz movement - so very accurate timekeeping and solar powered so that you don't have to worry about changing batteries. My recommendation would just be to have a look at the different models available (I prefer handling them in person to get a better idea of the size and fit, but online works too) and pick whichever speaks to you - you won't go wrong with any of their models, it really just comes down to personal preference of the style you would like to wear and what features you might like it to have (chronographs, atomic sync, world time, etc).

A superb choice for a simple, reliable and great value watch.

To give you another couple of options, a few brands I would also check out:
    Seiko are one of the best known and most popular brands out there. They have a range that includes both battery and solar powered quartz models, and also quite a few automatic watches - I would probably recommend avoiding automatic watches (in general, not just Seiko) unless you have a particular interest in them and are happy with the downsides of the technologies compared to quartz.
    Casio are also well worth a look as being a pretty reliable bet, with a range that covers fairly typical analog watches out to things like the Protrek and Shock ranges for more outdoors/rugged themed watches.

As a side note - as noted above, switching out the straps on most watches is a fairly simple affair, so when looking it is always worth remembering that you will normally be able to quite drastically change the look of a watch by switching out the strap for relatively little money.