1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vest Carry

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Architect5, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Architect5

Architect5 Empty Pockets

Hello all

Just bought a new vest today from REI. I needed a vest that looked good with a dress shirt and would carry my phone and keys.

Wore it two days so far it is working great. It is light enough that you can wear it all day without overheating. I dig that two chest pockets.

If you vest carry, definately consider this one guys.

2. Architect5

Architect5 Empty Pockets

jag-engr likes this.
  3. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

That the pockets are flat on the outside helps greatly on the look of things.

4. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

That's cool! I just ordered a 5.11 Tactical Vest today....lol. Being in a wheelchair, I need different options for carry, because pants pockets are out. The plus to this vest is a pocket with velcro for CCW. I can't wait to get it.

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. Architect5

Architect5 Empty Pockets

I looked around for a while and considered the scottvest, glanced at the 5.11, and all the other countless fleece options. This one had the look and feel I wanted without being too hot for indoor use. Good luck with the new 5.11. tso, the vest lays very flat and snug to my body and it looks great in my opinion. I am glad to see that there are other guys who vest carry.

6. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

I don't have the body for any clothing to fit snugly.......lol. This is my first try for vest carry, we will see how it goes.

7. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I have two ScottEVests, a travel vest and a lightweight travel vest. I also have a Columbia Titanium vest that doesn't seem to be offered anymore (as well as assorted hiking and safari type vests). Of them all, I most love the Columbia. The ScottEVests have more pockets than I can effectively use, and most are too big for what I carry. Also, I'm not crazy about the material used, especially in the original travel vest (though, admittedly, it's a lot older).
    While the Columbia Ti has mostly outside pockets (with a couple inside), many are not obvious, and I love the fact that there is a great, slim pocket for either a flashlight or a spare magazine, depending on what else I'm wearing or where I'm going. Many of the SEVests have pockets so large and deep that it's difficult to get at stuff buried. Also, I tried loading an SEV up and couldn't fit into today's tiny airline seat. When I put my iPad 2 into the vest (holds it nicely), TSA inspected the iPad separately and then made me rescan the vest! Glad I planned ahead to have some extra time.
    Both the SEVs hold my cell phone and camera in inside pockets but I wish the SEVs had other, smaller, pockets for a flashlight, a spare mag, or similar gear. Also, I think their signature system for running earbud wires is outmoded in this Bluetooth age. To me it's just a nuisance.
    Here's a travel tip: last year two of my daughters and I went to the Harry Potter exhibit at Universal Studios. I did some online research and discovered that to go on the main ride, you were not allowed to carry any bags -- you had to check them in lockers. I warned everyone and packed all my essentials in my Columbia vest (which was reasonably comfortable over a polo shirt in the Florida heat). There was a huge line, and at one point there was a parting of the ways: those with bags were routed to the right, those without, to the left. We breezed past literally hundreds of people and enjoyed the ride while some, no doubt, due to capacity, were forced to come back another day.
    Here's my review of the Columbia Titanium vest, long before the Harry Potter experience:
    http://edcforums.com/members/dowtech.12918/

8. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I found this vest at Bass Pro shop several months ago and have been wearing it ever since to cover my CCW and to carry my edc...its made from rip stop and is very light weight. I also wear it on my motorcycle, deflects bugs wonderfully, and cleans up quickly. I own two of each color for fear I wont be able to find them again.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Ripstop-Utility-Vests-for-Men/product/10205656/44754

Also note the pouch on the back, you can fit three foot long subway sandwiches back there, I have had to do this riding my ninja. :cool:

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of 5.11 tactical vests, but they are too long and heavy for me as I don't need the concealment features. They are hot to wear in warm weather.

My favorite vests are the Eddie Bauer Travex vests. They are made of rip stop material and are equipped with both snaps and a two-way zipper. They are light enough to wear in the summer.

LINK

10. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

I nearly lost a 4oz bottle of sunscreen (man did I need it, even though the last week in April) on that ride. Don't carry anything in your pockets they will part ways with you. Zippers and velcro are the ways to go.

11. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I use a old Duluth work vest for my morning walks to carry my water bottles, just in case micro organizer, phone, watch and plastic ziploc bags. Lot better to have a load on your shoulders then on the waist IMO.

12. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

:eek:

So I would have been mistaken, if I had bet that I was the only member here with 4 kinds of vests, for the changing Seasons.

13. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Living here in Southern Nevada only need one vest, not too much of the season changes except hotter than :censored: in the summer.Right now get up at 5:00 AM to beat the heat.

14. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Life vest, fishing vest, fleece vest. No 'carry' vest but I hit 3 of 4, and have worn all three at once...darn.

15. Ashutosh

Ashutosh Empty Pockets

16. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I wore out a 5.11 tactical vest. I see that they have them in TacLite now as well. The only drawback is that those "in the know" will know that you are carrying. The security check at Disneyland wanted to see under it, but never considered the pockets! (I wasn't packing, but they saw no knife either.)

17. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

A vest gives a faster response time compared to fannypack and bags, if all items have a fixed location in the vest. In a full bag you may have to search items, which may cost valuable time in an emergency. And a vest gives more mobility and is much compacter than a bag.

But a vest gives a more or less tactical look, which is not always appropriate, for instance on a job interview or funeral. The larger the pockets on the vest, the more it gives a sporty or military look. And if the vest has to be washed, the contents have to be taken out. But also a backpack can absorb sweat and get smelly.

Last edited by Dan2, Sep 27, 2012
  18. Architect5

Architect5 Empty Pockets

Just as a heads up guys. T.J. Maxx and Marshalls have Columbia vests with a chest pocket and zippers on the two hand pockets for 16.00. I bought two and now I am up to about 6 vests. I have to stop with this vest thing, might need some help with getting off the vest thing. haha

Gnarly likes this.
  19. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

I must have six or eight vests (waistcoats) with another on the way. Let's see; I have two Filson vests in tin cloth and another in wool, plus a waxed cotton shooter's vest (discontinued pattern) that probably weighs three or four pounds empty. But it's good for chilly days over a sweater and outside, I don't notice the smell so much. It holds a lot of stuff. Mostly, I prefer a quilted vest of some sort and pockets are very handy. My "best dress" vest is a quilted Barbour purchased in London last year but my Big Bill quilted vest purchased probably at K-Mart ten years ago is just as warm. I also have an American made Labonville quilted vest that for some reason is always at the back of the closet.

The vest I have on order is a fleece vest from Cabela's for wear here at work on chilly days. I used to prefer plain sleeveless sweaters but I decided to try fleece for a while. One must keep up with the times.

20. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I did as well. It was my favorite design but I didn't purchase another one because they were quite heavy and hot for summer...turned summer into simmer. :D

ac7ss and AK Adventurer like this.