1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Very useful (and geeky) velcro patch

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jeroen94704, Jul 27, 2010.

1. jeroen94704

jeroen94704 Empty Pockets

Today I received my p8tch in the mail, and immediately attached it to my Maxped Jumbo:

[​IMG]

A p8tch is a velcro-patch with a unique QR-code (think of it as a 2D barcode) printed on it. This code can be scanned by pretty much any phone with a camera, and can be set to redirect to any URL you want. So in my case, it redirects to a small webpage I made where people can contact me. The idea is that someone who finds my bag has a way to get in touch with me without me having to reveal personal information, such as an address, phone number and whatnot.

That, and it's a bit of geek-cool :)

Jeroen

2. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

interesting, but if you did not tell me what it was I would not know to scan it to be directed to your URL.

does it say to do that on the patch?

3. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

wah!!! the p8tch was supposed to be on my to-buy list, but somehow forgot about it. thanks for reminding.

4. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

Cool. Where did you get it from?

5. jeroen94704

http://www.p8t.ch. The guy who sells them (John Young) is a really nice guy.

Jeroen

6. jeroen94704

I admit that is a potential weakness in the system :). It relies on someone recognizing a QR-code and knowing what to do with it. But quite some people do, these days. Especially people with a smartphone.

Jeroen

7. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

tried to buy but his store in the boing boing bazaar link isn't working. great idea! so you can change the url link the QRcode goes to forever and eternity!?!?

8. jeroen94704

Try this: http://makersmarket.com/products/p8tch-velcrobacked-commando-qrcode

The QR code works as long as John Young lives, pays his hosting bills and keeps the service running :). He has a bit about that in the FAQ section on his maker's market store.

Jeroen

9. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I love QR-Codes!! I presented the idea of using them for marketing to my boss and we are looking at trying to use them as hidden coupons for computer repair, etc. I have thought about how to use QR-Codes personally, and a patch would be a great idea.

Question: So the patch actually is just a URL re-director? It sounds like that from his site. You can change the URL at anytime on the account login, so his site has to run some sort-of redirection for you to change it without remaking the actual QR-Code.

If that's the case, I think I would just generate my own static information QR-Code, like Name, Address, Phone #, and have an embroidery shop put it in patch form for me.

10. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a very cool udea, but the fact that no one I know has ever heard of Maxpedition let alone QR-codes (I'm referencing the public's general lack of niche market awareness) would quickly discourage me from getting one of those.

11. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

It's an interesting idea, but I'm afraid A) the people you'd want to scan it most probably won't know to do so; and B) on the front of your bag like that, people you might not want scanning it could do so without you knowing.

12. jeroen94704

Yes, it is just a redirect. The information on the QR-code is what it is. It cannot change without the pattern changing (because the pattern IS the information). QR-codes are easy to generate, but I figured paying $25 for a ready-made velcro-backed, dye-sublimation printed code that I can redirect wherever I want beats going through the trouble of trying to print/stitch something myself :).

I would never attach a QR-code containing any personal information on my bag.

13. jeroen94704

Yeah, that's a valid point. That's why it goes to a page with absolutely no personal information on it (Just a one-way contact-form). I did consider attaching the p8tch to the loop velcro inside the CCW compartment. That way it could only be scanned by someone who is able to handle the bag. Still, I consider this a minor risk, not outweighed by the fact that something so geeky-cool should be on display :).

14. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil Loaded Pockets

so someone would have to know to take a picture or scan it? sounds like a HUGE hope to me

15. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

with the popularity of smart phones, I think qr codes are actually popular now

16. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Maybe in Japan, where the smartphone is life; but qr codes are still foreign to me, and I've been carrying a smartphone for over two years.

17. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I agree that QR codes are scarcely known by most people, but I honestly believe QR and other bar codes will be used by mainstream society in the near future for actions other than checking out at the store. Only time will tell.

You can create your own free QR code for printing here

18. ExoticVizonz

ExoticVizonz Empty Pockets

Awesome idea, big thanks for it!

19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Something about this is causing a piliary response,on the back of my neck.

Sorry,guys. I firmly believe a little paranoia is a healthy thing.

20. jeroen94704

I call it a variant of Pascal's Wager :).