1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Very specific bag wanted - advice?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by liquidsunshine, Oct 17, 2011.

1. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

the following is what I would ideally want, and I'm hoping you bag knowledgeable people might be able to give me some good suggestions of what might come close to fitting the bill.

PRICE:

Not sure. Under 100 dollars would be nice, but not sure if that's realistic for anything that will last a few years. I don't care for brand names and flash logos though, if it's well made and from good materials, I can live without marketing hype.

CONCEPT:

A robust largeish boxy-shaped day pack. Opening from the SIDE (only opening or additional option which I would mostly use exclusively), so that to access it, you put it on the ground on the long side, more like a pilot bag. You could also say that what I want is a large pilot bag that has proper shoulder straps to be worn like a backpack VERTICALLY, with the carry handle on one side. When put on the ground, rigid enough to stand up by itself properly.

If the shoulder straps can be taken off or hidden to use the bag as a pilot style bag on occasion, that's a big bonus. If not, I can modify them to make them removable, as long as the bag still looks civil enough to pass as a civil bag, so to say. Something you would happily take to a business meeting.

Preferably not millions of pouches on the outside. Exception: A kind of sheath for a short umbrella, and possibly one for a water bottle.

Should have some sort of extendable flap on the large side. The larger, the better. My current day pack has one that you can either pull flat against the front, or losen and then you can easily put a bulky jacket or even two underneath when needed. Must have feature for me for unexpected loads, but I can make one myself if the bag convinces me otherwise.

Should not look TOO military. Although I don't need it as don't like stuff attached to the outside, molle is ok as long as the bag is available in black. Actually, I'm almost certain it will need to be black anyway.

SIZE:

My current day pack, an rather old Jack Wolfskin Mr. Bike, has a capacity of 20 litres; it works, but I would prefer a bit more. This current pack is not box-shaped though, so it is "losing" capacity by the tear drop shape it has. If it was box shaped and of equal length, width and depth, it would probably be large enough.

Must fit a 15" laptop, which is about 33 cm long, 28 cm wide, and 4.5 cm thick. Add about one cm all around to allow for a protective soft case.

Must fit A4 paper, and not just that, but in a ring binder. Not necessarily the heavy duty Leitz kind of binders that you would use in the office or an archive, but something reasonably solid to protect about fifty pieces of paper or even more, so A4 size plus maybe one inch all around that should fit in without too much trouble. Basically about the same size as the laptop with its protective sleeve again.

The long side should not be much longer than needed for the laptop and the ring binder, so the bag can fit in a particular space where it MUST fit.

Must have a dedicated space for a 1.5 litre PET bottle that also fits a 1 litre nalgene bottle, accessible from the outside, or even better, located on the inside, but still accessible without fully opening the whole bag. I don't care about the orientation, horizontal or vertical, as long as it can be closed properly so the bottle doesn't fall out.

With both the binder and laptop inside, must have additional space for all sorts of stuff. To give you an idea, if I can fit about three or four 1 litre nalgene bottles in, that would probably be enough space (I'm actually going to use several separate zippered relatively thick organisers for all sorts of stuff).

I would love to have one internal long pouch of app. D-cell diameter that goes along one long side and is accessible via small zip from the outside. Since the quakes I EDC a mid sized wrecking bar (yes seriously, and if you would have been here, you would understand) and a couple other lengthy tools which I currently put in a card board roll inside my daypack, but that's less than ideal and flies around in the bag. I want them fixed in one corner.

Yeah, those are the most important features I'm after. I'm not too hopeful. If I don't find anything, I'll have to bite the expensive bullet to buy cordura and sew it myself, which I can, but takes time and is more pricey than buying something off the shelf.

Once I have found one that fits the bill, I'll find myself a real cheap and unconspicous no name day pack, cut its back off, sew a rubber string to the new edge, and put it over the actual pack in the fashion of a rain cover. Why? Well, while I like having a well set up bag, I also like people not seeing that I have a well set up bag. Being the grey man and all that. It will be easy enough to just slip it off, or even just slip my hand underneath the rubber string edge, to access the real bag. Finally, if I should ever intentionally WANT to look "professional", all I have to do is take off the cover and stuff it in the bag.

So, any ideas?

Probably the answer is I have to sew it myself... but let me hear what you can come up with! Who knows, maybe it's out there.

Cheers,

Matt

2. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

closest i can think of is the arc'teryx blade 30 or 24...

3. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I was thinking of Arc'teryx also, and Tom Bihn.

The Tom Bihn Western Flyer might work, but exceeds your budget: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0950

4. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys,

I love a lot of things about the Arc'teryx especially, some great ideas in there.

Once again I get the feeling that what I want doesn't exist yet... another sewing project, when I have the time at some point.

Cheers,

Matt